• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Orton cut from Pro Philippine team after Pacquiao twitter insult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Orton was fined and released from the Purefoods Star Hotshots of the Philippine Basketball Association late last week after chiding Pacquiao's basketball ability after a game.

The 5-foot-6 Pacquiao, who has a May 2 fight scheduled against Floyd Mayweather and is also a congressman in the Philippines, has been a player-coach for the Kia Carnival this season and scored one point in the victory against the Hotshots.

"[Pacquiao playing] is a joke," said Orton, who was the Hotshots' designated foreign player. "... Professional boxer? Yeah. Congressman? All right. But professional basketball player? Seriously? It's a joke."

Orton, a 24-year-old Kentucky product who played for the NBA's Magic, Thunder and 76ers from 2011 to 2014, was ultimately let go by the Hotshots after just three games and then fined $5,650 for his comments.

"Everyone is angry at him," Hotshots top administrator Rene Pardo told Philippine reporters. "It is like he went to the United States and insulted the name of Martin Luther King."

PBA commissioner Chito Salud also issued a statement taking issue with Orton's statements about Pacquiao.

"This office disapproves of and frowns upon the cavalier manner in which Mr. Orton issued his comments and the unwarranted antics and liberties he has taken with the league and a fellow player," Salud's statement said. "This insulting behavior will never be condoned by the league."
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-association-taking-verbal-jab-manny-pacquiao

Another example of when keeping it real goes wrong.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pacquiao is as revered as Dr Martin Luther King Jr?

Froli

I only like Pacquiao as a boxer. Him being a congressman? Meh...he is the same as every opportunistic actors who is trying to use their fame to get into dirty politics.

Manny Pacquiao IS the Philippines. I know Philippino people who talk about him like he is a God, and cried when he lost a fight. This doesn't surprise me at all.

paolo11

Pacquaio shouldn't be playing at the PBA at all. He should be training for his upcoming fight.

The moment I heard that he will play in PBA, I was like "WTF is he doing? Bored with his money?"

They shouldn't fine Orton IMO. He was spot on on his comments.

"Everyone is angry at him," Hotshots top administrator Rene Pardo told Philippine reporters. "It is like he went to the United States and insulted the name of Martin Luther King."

These two things are not the same at all.

BajiBoxer

Banned
He's 100% right, but he's joining a basketball team in the Philippines coached by Manny Pacquiao. How do you not know what you're getting into? Just have fun and hang out with one of the world's biggest superstar athletes. Don't be an ass an publicly insult the guy on twitter.

He's 100% right, but he's joining a basketball team in the Philippines coached by Manny Pacquiao. How do you not know what you're getting into? Just have fun and hang out with one of the world's biggest superstar athletes. Don't be an ass an publicly insult the guy on twitter.

According to the article Pacquiao was actually on the opposing team.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Pacquaio shouldn't be playing at the PBA at all. He should be training for his upcoming fight.

The moment I heard that he will play in PBA, I was like "WTF is he doing? Bored with his money?"

They shouldn't fine Orton IMO. He was spot on on his comments.

He also insulted the refs saying they made the game into a mockery. That is a fine in pretty much any pro sport. Didn't see that reported in the espn article, though I might have overlooked it.

Brinbe

He didn't say anything outrageous. Pac playing is a joke but he is the national hero so they're being way too sensitive.

Redberyl

Neo Member
Couldn't find a better link but this is from an AFP piece (via the Singapore Yahoo Sports) from last week about Pacquiao in that game:

Philippine boxing champion Manny Pacquiao has scored his first point as a professional basketballer, but it did little to douse criticism that the pint-sized guard does not belong on the court.

Pacquiao sank the second of two free throws after he was fouled on a lay-up 11 minutes into the match between his Kia Carnival team and the Purefoods Star Hotshots in the Philippine professional league on Wednesday night.

However Pacquiao, the shortest player on the court that night at 1.69 metres (5ft 6in), struggled to keep pace with his taller and stronger opponents.

In just under five minutes of playing time, he did not score again, and a three-point attempt under no pressure ended in an air ball.

"I'm not used to this feeling," Pacquiao acknowledged afterwards when talking about scoring, his first point in three games since being drafted to the league in October last year.

But despite his popularity for boxing, he is often lampooned for lack of talent in the other fields, particularly basketball.

Purefoods player Daniel Orton, an American import, said after Wednesday night's game that Pacquiao on the court was a "joke", sentiments widely echoed in local basketball circles.

cruets

Pacquiao gonna lose so bad. Two months to go til the fight and he's playing basketball. Money gonna make a fool of him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pacquiao gonna lose so bad. Two months to go til the fight and he's playing basketball. Money gonna make a fool of him.

Correct, he's going to get obliterated. With or without basketball but he's going to be a smear on the canvas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom