• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daredevil movie was released 20 years ago

VulcanRaven

Daredevil was released this week 20 years ago. I have always liked the movie and Ben Affleck was a good choice for the role. Michael Clarke Duncan was also great as Kingpin. Its not a perfect movie but I think its a lot better than people say. If you dislike it I recommend watching the director's cut that is 30 minutes longer. It changes some things and adds a lot. Its rated R.

Also Kevin Feige liked it :)
Executive producer Kevin Feige commented on this version of the film, believing "the people who had other opinions [of Daredevil] will be won over by this new version.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_(film)

Daredevil's costume is still one of my favorites:
MCDDARE_FE048.jpg

Last edited:

Alx

I thought it was entertaining too, it was a good depiction of the character, his moral issues, his powers... The CGI was already bad at the time and didn't age well, but the radar-sense visualization is still good. Bullseye is ok for the most part but he has some silly moments in the last fight.
Everything considered it's what I'd expect from a Daredevil movie, only needing more budget and a bit of polish here and there.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Honestly think this song was bigger than the movie, it's the first thing I think of when I see the daredevil movie.I didn't mind it when it came out, I think this movie got way too much hate because of Ben Affleck. Doesn't feel like 20 years ago though smh

Literally, I miss the times when films had a song to go with them.
I know they still do sometimes but they not as big or popular or even good enough to chart.

Vestal

Gold Member
I know they still do sometimes but they not as big or popular or even good enough to chart.
80s up until early 2000s was truly an amazing time for movie soundtracks.

Reactions: TGO

kunonabi

I still remember seeing it in the theater and everybody laughing their ass off when it sounded like Garner called herself Elektra Nachos. Audience completely tuned out at that point.

TGO

I still remember seeing it in the theater and everybody laughing their ass off when it sounded like Garner called herself Elektra Nachos. Audience completely tuned out at that point.
Thing is despite its negative reception Garner finally did get her solo film.
That's right, thanks to Jennifer Lawrence, Garner got a stand alone film when she was the lead and an action star.
You would never have seen this before Lawrence, Larson broke the mold in the 2010's

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

That's right, thanks to Jennifer Lawrence, Garner got a stand alone film when she was the lead and an action star.
You would never have seen this before Lawrence, Larson broke the mold in the 2010's
I have had Electra on DVD for years but I haven't watched it for some reason. Is it anything like this movie?

Last edited:

TGO

I have had Electra on DVD for years but I haven't watched it for some reason. Is it anything like this movie?
I've never actually seen it, but I'm gonna assume it's actually better then Daredevil simply because for some reason they always issue a Steelbook for that film but not Daredevil.
So it must be a more popular film.
But I do believe Daredevil was rated better.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

What are you talking about? Jennifer Lawrence?

VulcanRaven

Honestly think this song was bigger than the movie, it's the first thing I think of when I see the daredevil movie.I didn't mind it when it came out, I think this movie got way too much hate because of Ben Affleck. Doesn't feel like 20 years ago though smh

The scene with that song was great. They also used My Immortal.

Last edited:

Soltype

Definitely, movie soundtracks we're a treasure trove of good music.It was part of marketing so they would put some effort into it.I can think of some crap movies that had some banging soundtracks.

UnNamed

Banned
Terrible movie with a terrible Ben Hafflec in a period when he shows he made many movies just for money.ù

But Electra is even worse, the worst cinecomic so far.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It was OK up through that bar scene and when he let the subway run the guy over (who I believe fled from the bar?). Affleck's acting was good, he looked the part, and it showed another comic book vigilante on-screen willing to be more realistic towards dealing with unrepentant murderers - prior to this there was only Blade and to a much lesser extent Burton's Batman (AFAIR).

After that the movie got pretty corny. And despite Colin Farrell being my favorite actor he was awful in this. At least they more or less hit the high marks from the most memorable runs of the comic(s).

Top Bottom