• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Comics' Countown to Infinite Crisis revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
C2ICcvr_t.jpg

First five pages online here:
http://www.popcultureshock.com/reviews.php?id=3911

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ok well that certainly solidifies who Batman is holding....

Well I wasn't particular interested in this before.. now I'm slightly more interested. Only because it looks like Batman and company will be at the forefront of this storyline.... I'm a sucker for Batman stories.

DarienA

ManaByte said:
Is this another reset?

Don't know... using the word crisis in the title does concern me....

FortNinety said:
So I don't follow DC comics much... what's the gist of this event?
SOMETHING HAPPENS!!!! DC UNIVERSE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!!

... and in reality most characters featured in the book will probably never mention what happens in the storyline again. ;)

Crandle

FortNinety said:
So I don't follow DC comics much... what's the gist of this event?

an event - no, an epic - that will SHAKE THE DC UNIVERSE TO ITS VERY FOUNDATIONS

after all, they said the same thing about Identity Crisis, and that comic had the audacity to kill off the legendary Captain Boomerang!

8bit

Knows the Score
"Anyway, apparently Countdown leads into DC's major summer event, Crisis on Earth. The basic plot is that someone wants their Earth (Earth X) restored the way they remember it. The twist is that the protagonist is based on our Earth, and in our time.

"It's a place and time called Prime Time.

"20 years ago, post Crisis, the protagonist was integrated into our time and space, and has been reading comics but slowly becoming aware they were out of place and time. After reading Identity Crisis, something contained within leads to this person realising that, and they want to correct matters.

"Supposedly DC Countdown leads to the moment of awareness, and the reboot of the DCU is their point of view focused upon the heroes and how this person wants to see the DCU. For a few months, significant changes will be made to the DCU, destroying the concepts that most people believed in, but they won't be long lasting.

"Seven Soldiers is supposedly the 'real' DCU universe as we see it, and events contained within that will lead to the formation of a group that knows what is wrong with the DCU, and ultimately how to fix it.

"This forms the basis of the hypertime idea, allowing multiverses and multitimelines to coexist after the event, and Seven Soldiers will suggest the awareness of the DCU that Grant Morrison wanted before as events in SS will drop hints to the characters within about their role and how to fix the brokenness."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg&article=2049

FoneBone

8bit said:
"Anyway, apparently Countdown leads into DC's major summer event, Crisis on Earth. The basic plot is that someone wants their Earth (Earth X) restored the way they remember it. The twist is that the protagonist is based on our Earth, and in our time.

"20 years ago, post Crisis, the protagonist was integrated into our time and space, and has been reading comics but slowly becoming aware they were out of place and time. After reading Identity Crisis, something contained within leads to this person realising that, and they want to correct matters.

"Supposedly DC Countdown leads to the moment of awareness, and the reboot of the DCU is their point of view focused upon the heroes and how this person wants to see the DCU. For a few months, significant changes will be made to the DCU, destroying the concepts that most people believed in, but they won't be long lasting.

"Seven Soldiers is supposedly the 'real' DCU universe as we see it, and events contained within that will lead to the formation of a group that knows what is wrong with the DCU, and ultimately how to fix it.

"This forms the basis of the hypertime idea, allowing multiverses and multitimelines to coexist after the event, and Seven Soldiers will suggest the awareness of the DCU that Grant Morrison wanted before as events in SS will drop hints to the characters within about their role and how to fix the brokenness."

Missing the key part:
Now I've been told that there's a lot wrong here, the timeline doesn't work out so well and things are horribly mixed up. And "Prime Time" is not the title. But that might mean there's a gem of correctness in here... somewhere...

ShadowRed

Banned
8bit said:

So they are undoing Crisis and bringing back the multiple Earths thing.

8bit

Knows the Score
Continuity is what prevents a larger audience from picking up comic books. Both the Ultimate and AllStar lines are supposed to address this issue by making things more accessible to outsiders.

ShadowRed

Banned
8bit said:
Continuity is what prevents a larger audience from picking up comic books. Both the Ultimate and AllStar lines are supposed to address this issue by making things more accessible to outsiders.

You can have both. Continuity and easy access for new readers. What stops people from jumping on are these long ass soap opera like story lines that drag on for years. You never had shit like that in the 60s and 70s. One issue one story was the norm then. You could pick up issue 1, 28, or 178 and be able to follow the story. Now if you didn't pick up issue 139 of the Xmen back in the mid 80s then you don’t know squat about the story. The comic companies need to get back to the one to max 3 issue stories and stop allowing overpaid artist/writers drag shit out to pad their checks.

Tamanon

Banned
I tell ya, I'm pumped for this, plus it's a cheapie:) Really interested to see where this leads with the 4 spin-off series and the culmination. I'm not that hip with the current continuity, does anyone know who Blue Beetle is hacking into on the first few pages? Whoever knows who Batman is.

And wonder if this ties in with Ruin from Superman also.

Tamanon said:
I tell ya, I'm pumped for this, plus it's a cheapie:) Really interested to see where this leads with the 4 spin-off series and the culmination. I'm not that hip with the current continuity, does anyone know who Blue Beetle is hacking into on the first few pages? Whoever knows who Batman is.

I think he knows hwo everyone is. Everyones icon is on the screen.

ShadowRed

Banned
Tamanon said:

He was hcking into a Checkmate computer.

The only thing Infinite about DC comics is the never ending stream of shit ideas they keep crapping out.

Infinite Shit on Shitty Shits!

Sensational Crossover of Flagging Sales Comics in Lieu of Quality Content!

Ah well, I can't be too mean to them. Vertigo has been nice to me.

nomoment

The Take Out Bandit said:
The only thing Infinite about DC comics is the never ending stream of shit ideas they keep crapping out.

Infinite Shit on Shitty Shits!

Sensational Crossover of Flagging Sales Comics in Lieu of Quality Content!

Ah well, I can't be too mean to them. Vertigo has been nice to me.
Unsurprisingly, TToB is still wearing his "killjoy" badge!

DarienA

8bit said:

As someone who has been collecting for years... I don't give a shit. ;) Reboots are dumb as hell. Thanks to the Ultimate line I don't have to worry about Marvel rebooting(usually) my regular books, and noobs can read the dumbass(IMO) Ultimate lines. I've tried the Ultimate lines but knowing the histories of the characters from my own time spent collecting the original books they just read hollow to me. I won't be reading the DC AllStar line.

Don't get me wrong though I've enjoy some reboot stuff... Zero Hour was cool... and even Crisis Infinite Planets was cool.... sometimes I understand the reasoning and timing behind reboots... but I don't see any problems that exist in the DC universe that need to be rectified by rebooting.... with all that being said I'll still give the first few issues of this a spin.

Whomever planned out Avengers Disassembled had TERRIBLE knowledge of Wanda and the Avengers backstory.... it was a hack job big time... I'm curious to see how House of M tries to resolve that... If anything Marvel really needs to address this.... oh the Magneto in NY was an imposter... uh... that throwaway line f*cked up what IMO was a good story.

Good or bad I'm tired of new writers/editors cherry picking from previous works on the character.

You sign on to take over a character then you deal with the good and the bad shit that has been done to them... in a better way then just writing in some dumbass throwaway line.

GodMike

Banned
I'm not a huge comic book fan. Occassionally pick up Bat books from time to time when I have the extra cash and time to delve into them and comics in general. What exactly is a reset in the comic book world?

A reset tends to happen in any of the following situations:

1. Sales of the comics in question are flagging.
2. The creative juices have run dry.
3. Copyrights are about to expire, so the corporation needs to churn out a ringer or two to retain their ownership.

Basically it's re-inventing the fucking wheel for no good god damn purpose other than the characters have long outlived their usefulness, but you can be god damned to expect these companies; one of which is so arrogant to flaunt the title "The house of ideas", to come up with something new.

New.

Not a rehash of Alpha Flight.

Not a new Power Pack book.

Not a radical new take on any random twat dressed up as a candy bar and fighting crooks.

Let it die!

I'll keep an eye out for this anyway. Even though I'm not the comic fan I used to be DC has always has good quality writing and awesome stories. I'll look into checking this out......

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000016316&start=30&tstart=0

Spoilers:
Blue Beetle breaks into Checkmate compound and discovers a computer with all the secret ids of the DCU heroes on it. He reads Batman's and learns his secret id. He is working with Oracle and fills her in. Beetle starts going around to the heroes of the DCU - Batman first (they posted preview pages of this), then JLA, Superman, JSA, etc. They all seem to blow him off. He goes to Booster and the two are exploded by a bomb. Booster ends up in the hospital, Beetle is on his own. In between all of this, he gets into a fight against his foes, the Madmen. Why? I don't know. We are also given a nice clear shot of the "Villains United" team: Lex, Talia, Black Adam, Dr. Psycho, Calculator.

Finally, Beetle returns to the Checkmate base to be met by Maxwell Lord and some kung-fu types. Ted valiently fights against some martial artist (Lady Shiva?) but takes a severe beating and his arm is broken. Max then forms an energy armor around himself with the mohawk and eye motiff of OMAC. He slaps Beetle around and finally removes the armor to shoot a bullet in his head. There is a "lovely" panel of Ted with the back of his head blown out to show us doubting comic fans that he is really, really, really dead.

http://www.millarworld.net/index.php?showtopic=43013&st=400

Maxwell Lord is the Black King of Checkmate. He's been assembling metahuman data for years, and he knows everything up to and including the identities of Batman and Superman. His remarks to Blue Beetle indicate that his "used car salesman" approach to the JLI was very deliberately calculated to keep the League as ineffective as possible. His grand plan is to reclaim the Earth from the Godlike and untrustworthy metahumans who he claims have overrun it. Think of him as the DC equivalent of William Stryker.

He asks the non-metahuman Blue Beetle to join his cause or die, right before blowing his brains out and then immediately greenlighting the O.M.A.C. Project.

FoneBone

His remarks to Blue Beetle indicate that his "used car salesman" approach to the JLI was very deliberately calculated to keep the League as ineffective as possible.
Good god, that's stupid.

nomoment

Heh. Alright, that does sound pretty dumb. I'm certainly not a big fan of DC bastardizing
JLI
, that's for sure. Does DC really hate
Giffen and DeMatteis
or something?

Either way, I'll reserve final judgements until next week.

Ehh... never did care for
Blue Beetle
anyway. But can't he just be brought back as OMAC now? Or does that not work on dead people?

DarienA

Why would Batman and Superman not be upset
that someone knows their real identity
ummm sorry that's bullshit. Especially considering what's going on in one of Superman's books right and especially consider Batman's general reclusiveness.

I actually liked Countdown, especially the Watchmen overtones. I loved
Beetle
, but who knows, the
scarab is a totem of resurrection after all. Although, rather than see Ted Kord brought back, I'd like to see Booster become the next Blue Beetle with the aid of the scarab itself.

Also, DC has previews up for OMAC, Day of Vengence and Villains United. DoV reveals who the new Eclipso is. I sure as hell didn't see that coming. I'm sure it'll piss some people off, but I like the idea.

Soybean

He doesn't find out the identities and THEN go to everyone. The story jumps around in time. It opens with him finding everyone's identity. Then it flashes back to a few days ago. They go back and forth. When he goes to everyone all he's got is some circumstantial evidence and a bad feeling that some shit is going down. THAT's when everyone turns him down and thinks he's a wackjob.

Anyway, it was OK. Kinda cliché, but we'll see how it comes out.

Mercury Fred said:
I actually liked Countdown, especially the Watchmen overtones. I loved
Beetle
, but who knows, the
scarab is a totem of resurrection after all. Although, rather than see Ted Kord brought back, I'd like to see Booster become the next Blue Beetle with the aid of the scarab itself.

Also, DC has previews up for OMAC, Day of Vengence and Villains United. DoV reveals who the new Eclipso is. I sure as hell didn't see that coming. I'm sure it'll piss some people off, but I like the idea.

who's the new eclipso?
edit: never mind. shit, looks like im skipping that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom