• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells has an interesting history

AndrewRyan

Got sucked into playing Dead Cells again and stumbled upon the history of the game and what a story!
The guys at Motion Twin were making free-to-play mobile games and Dead Cells started out as a sequel to a multi-player tower-defense game. While trying to make a demo in time for a conference deadline they cut out the multi-player and it ended up being well received.

However they ran out of money and applied for govt. funding in France and shelved the project for over a year. During that time two of the main devs decided making mobile games for the money wasn't satisfying and wanted to leave to make hardcore pc games like Souls. That led to the whole studio changing direction and make the game of their dreams instead, which is the Dead Cells we know. Had it failed the studio would have been finished.
And the full video.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Thanks for sharing!

One of my favorite games. I stated it countless times on GAF but the post launch support for this game, be it through free updates or paid DLC, is staggering and changed a cool game into an exceptionel experience. And it still gets support for all major platforms 5 years after launch.

8355twol0x581.gif

TexMex

Still probably the best roguelite. And definitely the best feeling. The animation and momentum of your character feels so good. And the best soundtrack, full stop. I love how much they’ve supported it for years, but I wish they’d make something new already. They’ve done more than enough, looking forward to their next game.

AndrewRyan

It is basically every indie story at this point with running out of money or almost running out.
True.
They were managed as a co-op where everyone made the same salary. After running out of money a 2nd time from the government funds and only 60% complete they talked with investors, publishers, VCs but decided to bet the company on Steam's Early Access at $15 a pop.
They/we got lucky and it's sold over 6M so far.

Was surprised at first that it started out as a tower defense game but makes sense when you think about the automated weapons like turrets, traps, barricades, etc. and how many stun, slow, or freeze enemies like in a tower defense.

One of my favorite games. I stated it countless times on GAF but the post launch support for this game, be it through free updates or paid DLC, is staggering and changed a cool game into an exceptionel experience. And it still gets support for all major platforms 5 years after launch.
Was also surprised it wasn't on GAF more after searching before posting this link. Really is amazing how much quality content they've put out. In less than six weeks if they meet their deadline, Return to Castlevania should be here.

Dr_Ifto

Isnt this the game that also had that very famous plagiarism thing go down on, in the game journalism side?

Top Bottom