• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline Nears for Dakota Pipeline Protesters to Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

Among those leaving was Linda Black Elk, who has called the camp home since April. Passing through the checkpoint Wednesday, she said she saw hundreds of law enforcement officers surrounding the site.

“They are removing indigenous people from indigenous land. This was treaty land. It was never given up, it was never purchased. It was stolen,” she said. “It’s wrong to forcibly evict people — again — from their land.”

As Black Elk left the camp on Wednesday, she said she felt disappointed, but hopeful.

“As indigenous people in the U.S., we’re sort of invisible,” she said. “This has really brought our issues to the forefront, and the people, the world, can see us again.”

Really don't know what to say at this point other than "this sucks".

dangeROSS

I remember hearing that Trump was planning to go back in on the pipeline but didn't realize it was already happening. I haven't heard a single thing about all this. The entire debacle over this is just sad. From it happening in the first place, to the protests, to the short lived victory, to Trump restarting it. Just crazy.

Why did it seem like the resistance and outrage was 10x worse in November? it seems this is going out with a whimper. Are people just spread too thin on protests?

Cuz the president at the time didn't have that magic R next to his name. I remember seeing memes blaming it on Obama and telling him to stop. Trumpeters were against it just because Obama lol, now they're singing a different tune

gdt

I saw Vice News' segment on this last night. There are barely any people left there. There was that victory and most people went home. When Trump restarted it the energy had already disappeared. Only people who are (where?) still there don't really have anywhere to go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom