• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deftones |OT| Working on their 8th studio album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arol

Went to their San Diego show last night. It was awesome.

Ran into traffic so I couldn't get to the front of the stage like I wanted. The merch they had for sale wasn't the greatest except for a hoodie they had. Still bought some stuff.

As for the show itself.

I'm surprised he's able to keep up the energy still. Especially since he had just done two shows on Saturday and Friday.

Can't wait for the new album to drop.

Dead

well not really...yet
Pretty excited.

Ive always liked Deftones (I remember going to Tower Records to find the special edition of White Pony when it was released), and amazingly they haven't lost anything. Diamond Eyes and Koi no Yokan are the band's best two albums next to White Pony.

Nice. I can't wait to hear it. Big fan back in the day. I still listen to them semi regularly.
I love the mellow stuff when I'm just lounging around and the heavy stuff I play a lot when I exercise. I really can't decide on a favorite album.
Minerva and Digital bath are my jams.

Arol

No new songs in these shows?

Not the one I went to this past Sunday. I wouldn't know about the other shows.

I'm guessing as the album gets closer to release they might sneak one in or two.

Wish I could make it to a show they're doing with Incubus but it's not looking likely.

How drunk was he?

I'm guessing pretty drunk. I didn't get a chance to get to the front or somewhat close since I got to the show late so I was really in the back.

So, it appears there have been some leaks, although its not sure if this is real or not.

According to rumours, the name of the album is 'Gore'. There's also a cover out there and part of the tracklist. Again, take this with a grain of salt.

kuyqUhs.jpg

4j8Y6sR.jpg

Deadstar

And Prayers/Triangles is damn good.

Deftones is one of my favorite bands but I'm not feeling it yet. I'll have to give it a few more listens.

Regarding the track listing I thought I read on blabbermouth that they wrote 17 or so songs for this album. I guess a lot got cut.

Deftones is one of my favorite bands but I'm not feeling it yet. I'll have to give it a few more listens.

Regarding the track listing I thought I read on blabbermouth that they wrote 17 or so songs for this album. I guess a lot got cut.

16 songs. Yeah, too bad :( i guess 11 is the magic number for them..

pablito

I like the new song but I dunno if that's the one I would have chosen to be the first single.

Preordered Gore this morning though. Stoked!

Bry0

New song felt pretty by the numbers to be honest.
Still excited though. Not like they ever put out a bad record.

So, to also update the OT for the best band in the world, this friday sees the release of Gore, the 8th studio record from the 'Tones!

1. Prayers/Triangles
2. Acid Hologram
3. Doomed User
4. Geometric Headdress
5. Hearts/Wires
6. Pittura Infamante
7. Xenon
8. (L)mirl
9. Gore
10. Phantom Bride
11. Rubicon

The album has leaked since past Sunday, although its a pretty shitty leak from a vinyl, you can hear how experimental it is. Lots of shoegaze, 80s something space rock stuff. Like a mix between White Pony, SNW and... uuuuh Smashing Pumpkins and Quicksand.

There are three songs you can listen to in full quality on Spotify and Youtube:

Prayers / Triangles

Doomed User

Hearts / Wires

To me this is probably their best record since ATF / White Pony, although I know there are also a lot of self titled lovers here. I really liked Diamond Eyes and KNY too, but this is really on another level, with lots of layers.

Frost_Ace

Geometric headdress and rubicon are my favorite for now. Will give it another listen friday when the proper cd arrives.

Mitch

Banned
Just picked it up on the iTunes store. Diving in with high expectations after listening to the songs they released.

NotLiquid

Found the album really good on first listen, on second listen a lot of tracks have been growing on me.

Prayers/Triangles, Acid Hologram, Hearts/Wires, Gore, Phantom Bride and Rubicon were instant favorites. Prayers/Triangles, Hearts/Wires and (L)mirl have some absolutely absorbing atmosphere. Phantom Bride is really gorgeous. I also really appreciate that this is a Deftones album that has a good closer again. Deftones make some stellar closer tracks and Rubicon is up there with Pink Maggit and This Place Is Death as my favorite album closers from them.

Doomed User, Geometric Headdress and Xenon got a lot better to me after the second or so listens. They're by no means favorites but they're still enjoyable.

Pittura Infamante is the only track I really don't care much for. Other than that this is a solid album. It's no White Pony but I think I like it more than Diamond Eyes.

Maybe not their most exciting album, but I can appreciate it for what it is. Need to give it a couple of rinses to see if it sticks with me or not.

dkeane

New Deftones makes the end of this never ending week much better.
Loving the album after a couple listens.
Second half of the album seems far more interesting to me.

One listen start to finish and a few select tracks on the way to work. It's moody, atmospheric Deftones. Has some catchy banging parts. To tell you what I think really, I have Apple Music subscription and I still bought the $11 album.

I'm loving this album, it's sooo good. Anybody that's a fan of modern day Deftones will love this. It's so moody atmospheric and catchy, has a lot of energy. Probably has the best song intros too, they've gotten so dynamic and layered over the years.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've enjoyed their album(s) for years now. I've enjoyed their sound outside of the White Pony album and that's one of the best rock albums to date IMO. Koi No Yokan took me a while to get into, but I listen to it every now and then and I still enjoy it. Diamond Eyes as well.

I just picked Gore up and hopefully it's a good album. It just takes a while for me to get into the habit of listening to the entire record.

From what I've read I'm wondering if it's like Saturday Night Wrist. Which I enjoy, while I've spoken to people who thought it wasn't their best. I'm kinda worried about just starting it. It took me a good year or so to enjoy Koi No Yokan.

I've enjoyed their album(s) for years now. I've enjoyed their sound outside of the White Pony album and that's one of the best rock albums to date IMO. Koi No Yokan took me a while to get into, but I listen to it every now and then and I still enjoy it. Diamond Eyes as well.

I just picked Gore up and hopefully it's a good album. It just takes a while for me to get into the habit of listening to the entire record.

From what I've read I'm wondering if it's like Saturday Night Wrist. Which I enjoy, while I've spoken to people who thought it wasn't their best. I'm kinda worried about just starting it. It took me a good year or so to enjoy Koi No Yokan.
I think it's good. I'm not sure what album pedestal to put it on though.

I've listened up to (L)mirl and it's pretty good. It has a few mild tracks that are very good, Hearts/Wires is great. I bet this is gonna be a great album to cycle through.
Geometric Headdress, Gore, Rubicon, Xenon, Prayers/Triangles and Doomed User are probably my favorites. The rest I just need to hear more than once.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Geometric Headdress, Gore, Rubicon, Xenon, Prayers/Triangles and Doomed User are probably my favorites. The rest I just need to hear more than once.

How are you listening to them? I'm using my G35 Logitech headset. I was going to use my iPhone, but it's a completely different experience when you can capture each song in a good pair of headphones. Hearts/Wires takes a while to get going, but it really picks up in the chorus. Which reminds me of previous Deftones songs so much it's great.

I'm actually going to be listening to those songs you mentioned too.

How are you listening to them? I'm using my G35 Logitech headset. I was going to use my iPhone, but it's a completely different experience when you can capture each song in a good pair of headphones. Hearts/Wires takes a while to get going, but it really picks up in the chorus. Which reminds me of previous Deftones songs so much it's great.

I'm actually going to be listening to those songs you mentioned too.
I'm using a pair of Sony MDR10R Hi-Res Stereo Wired Headphones. They're quite good. I like Hearts/Wires just fine it's just one of those songs I have to listen to a few times to get it stuck in my head. You should like Gore, it goes from melodic to scream metal in such a nice way. Some of the songs blend the moods really well.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haven't really listened to koi no yokan, but I'm liking this a lot. It really reminds me of their Around the Fur and White Pony era, just big, dreamy fuzz guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom