• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve teases a Dune Messiah movie: 'I will say, there are words on paper'

ManaByte

Gold Member

“If I succeed in making a trilogy, that would be the dream,” he says. Part Three, then, would consist of Dune Messiah, Herbert’s direct follow-up to Dune. “Dune Messiah was written in reaction to the fact that people perceived Paul Atreides as a hero,” Villeneuve explains. “Which is not what he wanted to do. My adaptation [of Dune] is closer to his idea that it’s actually a warning.” If it does happen, the Messiah-spanning Dune: Part Three would mark the end of Villeneuve’s time on Arrakis. “After that the books become more… esoteric,” he says.

And while any future Dune sequels once again hinge on the box office results of Part Two, Villeneuve’s plans for Part Three aren’t just nebulous thoughts. “I will say, there are words on paper,” he teases. Fingers crossed, there will eventually be images on a screen too.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Bernie Mac Day GIF

thefool

I wish whoever got to adapt Dune didn't dismiss the rest as esoteric.
The best Dune saga has to offer happens in the 4th book. Its the nexus of the story Frank Herbert wanted to tell.

Cyberpunkd

I wish whoever got to adapt Dune didn't dismiss the rest as esoteric.
The best Dune saga has to offer happens in the 4th book. Its the nexus of the story Frank Herbert wanted to tell.
I agrée with this. I would say 5th and later are my favorites - it goes from adventure book in space to full blown space opera. Also, Miles Teg is cool AF.

thefool

I agrée with this. I would say 5th and later are my favorites - it goes from adventure book in space to full blown space opera. Also, Miles Teg is cool AF.

My man. Miles Teg is, indeed, the coolest motherfucker in the known universe.

Btw, studios love to ham-fist strong badass independent women on their stories (including already dennis adaptation) and the late part of Dune is really about a bunch of (very) strong women.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I hope so. I want to see all of (Franks) Dune saga adapted. I'm not feeling great about Part two's box office potential though. I feel like the first part barely squeaked by to greenlight part two.

Cyberpunkd

Btw, studios love to ham-fist strong badass independent women on their stories (including already dennis adaptation) and the late part of Dune is really about a bunch of (very) strong women.
Yes, but Honored Matres sex thing is not exactly for today’s audience 😅

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Henry Cavill and Amazon about to steamroll the whole industry with the other God Emperor... and I don't know if that would hurt future adaptations of the Dune sequels or help them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And while any future Dune sequels once again hinge on the box office results of Part Two, Villeneuve’s plans for Part Three aren’t just nebulous thoughts. “I will say, there are words on paper,” he teases. Fingers crossed, there will eventually be images on a screen too.

Did he just admit to being a scab?

Jsisto

Children of Dune is really the end of the Paul Atreides Saga, for obvious reasons. I’d rather he stop there, but I’ll take Messiah.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I want them to get to the Jihad just to see if they use that term.

And while I understand the books had a mixed reception, I'd be down for some prequel stuff.

Doom85

I hope so. I want to see all of (Franks) Dune saga adapted. I'm not feeling great about Part two's box office potential though. I feel like the first part barely squeaked by to greenlight part two.

Yeah, I’m hoping it will be a Spider-verse situation, where the first film did pretty well but strong word of mouth as more people checked out the first film digitally/BR between the time of release of both movies resulted in a stronger box office for the sequel.

Here’s hoping Dune likewise has been building a larger audience since the first film left theaters.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I love how the room temperature IQ management at WB decided to delay Dune II at literally the exact same time a huge PR campaign for the movie was kicking off.

Amazing.

Yeah. Plus I dont think the first movie exactly pierced the zeitgeist to begin with. It did much better than his Blade Runner flop (unfortunate) but didn’t even cross half a billion. It seems like its just not destined to be a mega trilogy like Star Wars/LOTR.

But who knows. Maybe the second will land on just the right weekend, blow up on social media, and generate legs through word of mouth. Stranger things have happened.

Cyberpunkd

Henry Cavill and Amazon about to steamroll the whole industry with the other God Emperor... and I don't know if that would hurt future adaptations of the Dune sequels or help them.
Do you really think modern sensibilities are ready for W40K?

For me Warhammer and Dune are similar, in the sense they are impossible to be a mass success, the concept is just too niche.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Do you really think modern sensibilities are ready for W40K?

For me Warhammer and Dune are similar, in the sense they are impossible to be a mass success, the concept is just too niche.

Yes I do - as long as it hits the inevitable backlash against the overt PC-ness of recent years. Which it could well do. We’re a good two years out from anything releasing yet.

I genuinely think the audience is ready for something completely different. We haven’t had a big new IP for a long time now, and 40k could be it. Especially for a male skewing audience that’s been dealt a poor hand recently.

The main issue is whether Cavill and GW can make sure Amazon stick to the source material, and I’ve heard a few things that suggest they are pushing for that as hard as possible. And Amazon Studio UK is leading on it, I believe, so Salke and her idiot brigade in LA won’t be involved too much.

We’re either getting 40k properly, or not at all.

If the first trailer manages to capture the same kind of energy as this, it’ll do very well:

Last edited:

Kadve

The problem with W40k is that you cant do an half asset attempt. GW wont let you for starters but to capture it completely you need to spend an huge amount of money and i don't think any studio is willing to risk that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The problem with W40k is that you cant do an half asset attempt. GW wont let you for starters but to capture it completely you need to spend an huge amount of money and i don't think any studio is willing to risk that.
I dunno space marines that run around in track suits and lots of rando human b-plots could keep the expense down, much like the Halo show.

I don't think Marines in full armor are ever gonna look good in live action, the suit itself is wildly impractical. They need to be filmed in the shadows, from a distance, too close to really make them out, basically treat them like Bruce from Jaws, less is more. The fans wouldn't accept a more svelt, practical redesign, I don't think, so work it as best you can.

Tams

Dune's pretty shit to be honest.

When I stumbled across it in the school library when I was 13, I was transfixed and read it in a few days. It was the longest book I'd ever read.

But I read it again recently. Frank Herbert was a shit writer. An amazing world builder, but that's it. Everything else, is at best kindly put as, 'too much'.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Yes I do - as long as it hits the inevitable backlash against the overt PC-ness of recent years. Which it could well do. We’re a good two years out from anything releasing yet.

I genuinely think the audience is ready for something completely different. We haven’t had a big new IP for a long time now, and 40k could be it. Especially for a male skewing audience that’s been dealt a poor hand recently.

The main issue is whether Cavill and GW can make sure Amazon stick to the source material, and I’ve heard a few things that suggest they are pushing for that as hard as possible. And Amazon Studio UK is leading on it, I believe, so Salke and her idiot brigade in LA won’t be involved too much.

We’re either getting 40k properly, or not at all.

If the first trailer manages to capture the same kind of energy as this, it’ll do very well:

Do we have any info on 40k confirmed yet?

Top Bottom