• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers weren't crazy enough this generation. I hope they go nuts next gen.

Seriously -- why were so many games modeled after our world? There are so many cool things you can do in virtual space and dev. tools are so powerful nowadays. It's like they have The Matrix' Construct at their computers yet they choose to bind their imaginations to what's already familiar.

A few dev teams are approaching the right idea:

1. Viewtiful Joe -- The feeling of pressing the L-trigger for the first few times was ultra-satisfying. What made it so amazing is the new take on a familiar world that it gives you. The slow motion was just so well executed that it felt as if you were literally slowing down time. Max Payne was the first to use "bullet time," but the combined effects of audio and video in Viewtiful Joe made it miles better.

2. Katamari Damacy -- I have to admit: I don't like these games too much. I dig the attitude, the music, etc., but the game idea just seems half-baked. But what is to be admired is the exploration of scale. Again, a scale that never changes is something we take for granted in our universe. But games don't have to follow that. You can make an effective FPS in ONE ROOM, just changing the scale. You can have the guy start off fighting antimatter, grow to fight evil cells, grow to fight virii, grow to fight insects, rodents, big animals, a final boss... whatever, each section with its own environmental puzzles. That's a stupid idea, but the point is developers should do insane stuff with scale.

3. Devil May Cry -- This game is still a little too modeled after our universe but I give it points for the stylistic movements (like slashing up and shooting in mid-air, etc.). The gravity-defying animations are not seen nearly enough. Physics are just TOO REALISTIC in most games. Get silly with it, dammit! Ninja Gaiden also did this well to an extent. God of War tried to, but instead came up with button-activated canned animations that felt too detached from the player.

4. (I hope) Prey -- I saw the trailer of this game for the first time in the Duke Nukem discussion, and it's actually what inspired this thread. Hell yeah! The graviational effects and play seem really dynamic and like part of the action in the game. That's what I'm talking about, devs! You're messing around in virtual space; just go all out.

These and many more effects can still be explored and applied cognitively to create compelling game concepts. Please, developers (I know you're not reading this): break out of your limitations and just do some crazy stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
a Max Payne to Viewtiful Joe comparrison? I can't even make a true judgment about which is better, they're both so fucking awesome. I'd probably choose Joe 1 in the end, but that's a pretty awkward thing to do!

anyway i love games that are tethered to the "real world", just as much as those that aren't. Gotta have a good mix. For every Katamari and Pikmin 2, a Max Payne or Oblivion.

We're adjusted to it now, but remember the first time you heard the concept, "Square and Disney are working together on a PS2 RPG... mixing characters from both companies?"

Tachikoma

Banned
Battersea Power Station.. don't make a thread like this until you've played some imports. The variety you want is there.

/thread

Gantz

Banned
XMonkey said:
Someone will say Creative Bankruptcy, or something like that.

Creative bankruptcy. Developers will continue to blow all their money on graphics at the expense of gameplay. There will be a few good games but overall there will be large shovelware libraries for all systems :lol

[Nintex]

Not crazy enough give me a break:

ngc-pikmin1.jpg

sotc.jpg

car.jpg

etc.

Some aren't as groundbreaking/crazy then others thoug.

EmSeta

As development costs rise, expect to see less quirky nische titles and more "safe" mainstream bets (AKA realism, violence, tried and tested genres)

Ranger X

EmSeta said:
As development costs rise, expect to see less quirky nische titles and more "safe" mainstream bets (AKA realism, violence, tried and tested genres)

Agreed. But we see alot of niche stuff this gen on the PS2 because the console is insanely popular. If it was that the 3 consoles were quite on par, you wouldn't see those titles because none userbase would justify such risk.

If there's a next-gen console that end up standing out as much as PS2, i think we should see as much niche stuff. And if tired and true formulas continue to go down, we will definetely see more risky games coming (but this may be only in some years from now though.)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There were a LOT of 'crazy' games this gen, probably more than ever now that I think about it. Here's some that noone menioned yet:

Half Life 2 (gravity controlling weapons)
Psi-Ops (telekinetic and other powers, again gravity and real life defying)
Jet Set Radio / Jet Set Radio Future (graffiti game done in a graffiti style)

EmSeta said:

Agreed, not including the Rev (or Go). Lower costs associated with that platform should allow for more risk.

I'd like to thank Valve for following my advice and investing in the Portal team's vision. Call back if you need more tips, Mr. Newell!

I hope this is a start of awesome things to come next generation!

Less realism and more what you wish realism was!

commissar

What about Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream? It's like Kingdom Hearts insane all over again.
Viva Pinata? A cartoon related park-sim. I'd buy it for the novelty value.
Elebits? I watched the game trailers and still have no idea where this is going.
Metronome? How many games will use sound in such inventive ways?
Cooking Mama?
Hell it's been out a while, but even Loco Roco is doing things differently.

It's not all doom and gloom :)

Andonuts

With development costs increasing don't expect much in the way of experimentation in the next generation.

There's some hope with the wii I guess?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
EmSeta said:
small, downloadable/episodic, reduced-risk games will help balance that out.

Top Bottom