• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did smoking again make me sick?

Karmic Raze

Yeah, so I quit smoking about 35 days ago. Earlier tonight I had the bright idea to smoke again and everything seemed fine after the first 2, but then my headache I had got worse and I got REALLY cold. I was literally shaking for 2 hours freezing with a hoodie, t-shirt, sweatpants, shorts, and socks on under a blanket. The ONLY way I was able to stop shaking was to turn the heat up to the highest setting (76 degrees) and I finally stopped and passed out for a couple of hours.

I don’t think this is COVID at all, so would smoking 2-3 cigarettes after quitting for 35 days make me THAT sick? I couldn’t word it right in an internet search, so I thought I’d ask here.

Theres no reason why you';d get cold from smoking. Just a coincidence. Tho you should prolly check your body temps so you dont have a fever. If you do, well, prolly should get tested.

Shtef

I stopped 3 weeks ago and today I got strongest cravings I have ever got.
Will the desire for smoke pass someday or I will feel cravings whole my life?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

The worst cravings are at the 3 week and around the 3 month point.

Going cold turkey is the best way, but also by far the hardest way to quit.

If you're struggling then Nicotine patches might be a good idea, but they do give you intense and hyper realistic dreams if you go to sleep with a patch on. Like, really, really intense.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Smoking a lot on a empty stomach can do that.
Maybe because you hadn't had one in while it was shock to the system?

Kimahri

Banned
I've had that happen. Quit smoking years ago, but have the random smoke at a party or whatnot. Months or years can pass between them though, and I sometimes wake up a bit feverish the next day. 35 days seem a bit low for such a reaction though.

Artoris

Gold Member
Yeah, so I quit smoking about 35 days ago. Earlier tonight I had the bright idea to smoke again and everything seemed fine after the first 2, but then my headache I had got worse and I got REALLY cold. I was literally shaking for 2 hours freezing with a hoodie, t-shirt, sweatpants, shorts, and socks on under a blanket. The ONLY way I was able to stop shaking was to turn the heat up to the highest setting (76 degrees) and I finally stopped and passed out for a couple of hours.

I don’t think this is COVID at all, so would smoking 2-3 cigarettes after quitting for 35 days make me THAT sick? I couldn’t word it right in an internet search, so I thought I’d ask here.
I felt something similar once, after smoking a cigarette, no idea what it might be

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
guess everyone is different.

When I was a youngster I would smoke a pack a day and used to get the worst colds/flus as well as lung infections. When I quit I was fine, I wouldn't get nearly as sick or as severely. After many years of not smoking ( I still enjoy a smoke on holidays ) I had the bright idea of limiting my smoking to 1 or 2 smokes a day, within a couple of months my bad cold/flu returned. So I cant really smoke regularly for extended periods even if its like 2 per day.

Winter John

Gold Member
guess everyone is different.

When I was a youngster I would smoke a pack a day and used to get the worst colds/flus as well as lung infections. When I quit I was fine, I wouldn't get nearly as sick or as severely. After many years of not smoking ( I still enjoy a smoke on holidays ) I had the bright idea of limiting my smoking to 1 or 2 smokes a day, within a couple of months my bad cold/flu returned. So I cant really smoke regularly for extended periods even if its like 2 per day.

Buddy you want to go to your doctor and get checked out. I thought I had a cold one morning, turned out it was the beginning stages of a massive asthma attack. I woke up the next day and couldn't get up. I got rushed into Emergency, pumped full of steroids and oxygen. My doctor told me I'd probably had it for years but didn't know because I thought the attacks were just bouts of the cold. The good news is that a few years after giving up smoking my asthma disappeared. Anyways, if your still smoking you might want to get your lungs checked out.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The chemical addiction will fade pretty quickly. The psychological addiction will be with you for decades.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Just don't get a vape. All it does is replace an expensive unhealthy habit with a slightly less expensive and unhealthy habit.

Lanrutcon

Smoked for a few years, then stopped. It was playing havoc with my sinuses and I got tired of it. Tried a cigarette a few years after stopping and it tasted like ass. I doubt I could get back into it even if I tried, but why would I want to?

Last edited:
I can feel that way after a heavy night of drinking/smoking. Nicotine is a toxin that does all sorts of wonky things to our bodies.

I'mma keep smoking though, because I'm cool

Raven117

Dude….you can’t have “just one.” You never can.

The month out is the classic relapse because frankly, it gets boring quitting.

Just dust your self off and get back on the wagon.

(It probably didn’t make you sick…. Well, not that sick anyway)

*Nightwing

Sounds like the common overdose.

Years of constant smoking creates tolerance, quitting for months removes that tolerance, picking up at the same level you stopped smoking consuming the amount of nicotine you would take at your height of addiction causes overdose.

You experienced what kills most that do the same with opiates cocaine and alcohol. Fortunately for you nicotine is not too deadly in the short term.

Next time try starting with half a cigarette instead of 3

Everyone is different but I stopped five years ago and still think about it kn an almost daily basis. Sometimes I have dreams where I'll just sit there and smoke a whole pack.

I too use the word stopped instead of quit, I get the feeling I haven't quit anything.

lifa-cobex

I think it's different for everyone.
I stopped for five years and I always wanted one. Not in a craving seance but I just always wanted one.
I've off set it with vaping and I'll only smoke when drinking. So it's like once a week.

A friend of mine who packed up for a year couldn't be around anyone who smoked. His cravings never went and it drove him mad.
But I've also known people who have stopped and never gone back to the point where the smell made them sick.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You can't assume that the cigarette itself made you sick. Your immune system was vulnerable and you've been infected with a virus. That's what made you sick. However, it's been known for a long time that poor diet, poor sleep habits and smoking can lower the immune system making your body more vulnerable to virus'. Hope you get well soon. Definitely don't smoke while you are sick. The lungs need fresh air during recovery. Smoke in the lungs of any kind will never be healthy for the human body. Also, my Dad quit recently -- you can do it again with the right encouragement.

jonnyp

The cravings stopped after few months for me. Haven't had one in a year now and feel no need or even think about it anymore, not even while having a drink.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If you went cold turkey for those 35 days, I wouldn't be surprised if you gave yourself a massive nicotine high.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It is probably your brain inducing those symptoms because it has been trained to regulate your body to compensate for the damage you cause with smoking.

Stay strong in quitting it OP.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
You can quit op! I smoked for 12 years, and i finally quit for good in early 2020. There were a few on and off attempts before i quit for good, quitting for a week here or a week there led to me smoking less and less, until finally it felt easy to say i dont need this anymore. A virus that attacks your respiratory system is also a good motivator to quit.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You can quit op! I smoked for 12 years, and i finally quit for good in early 2020. There were a few on and off attempts before i quit for good, quitting for a week here or a week there led to me smoking less and less, until finally it felt easy to say i dont need this anymore. A virus that attacks your respiratory system is also a good motivator to quit.
Cong-greenrats! But seriously, I admire anyone who's able to quit. My Dad has been struggling since he was 16 to quit (he's 65). He finally did it a year ago after many failed attempts in the past. OP needs positive motivation. When I dropped 100 lbs 4-years ago and got into shape -- it really improved how I feel in every way. It wasn't easy but having the right people to encourage me helped me get there and stay there.

Top Bottom