• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the OS footprint on PS4 and XB1 ever get reduced over the course of the generation?

Elysion

Banned
I‘m curious about this; we know that PS4 and XB1 had an OS footprint of around 2.5GB when they launched. But is this still true today? The OS footprints on PS3 and 360 did get smaller over time, didn’t they? So I wonder if the same happened to last gen‘s consoles thanks to optimizations. Does the OS on those systems still take up 2.5GB?

Elysion

Banned
Yes, Xbox One freed up a lot of ram over time.
Several times actually. When they got rid of Snap for example.

The console started with 3GB RAM used for the OS and 5GB for games

Do we know much RAM the OS on XBox One uses today? And I wonder about PS4 too; if Sony didn’t reduce the OS footprint to the same extent, then that would mean the XB1 would have more RAM available for games.

Lysandros

I‘m curious about this; we know that PS4 and XB1 had an OS footprint of around 2.5GB when they launched. But is this still true today? The OS footprints on PS3 and 360 did get smaller over time, didn’t they? So I wonder if the same happened to last gen‘s consoles thanks to optimizations. Does the OS on those systems still take up 2.5GB?
It was actually 3.5 GB for PS4 at the beginning despite having additional 256 MB DDR3 on board. 3 GB for XB1. As a side note Sony is extremely afraid to talk about these things now for PS5, it requires utmost secrecy apparently, the masses aren't ready for the disclosure.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Outside of those big changes which are announced, basically any major version of the SDK, free-ed up some RAM in range of MBs. So yes, they constantly worked (and working), due to the fact, that it almost seems like those SDKs are in infancy when console releases and they don't have implemented CPU features and shit which comes from the vendor (AMD in this case) during the whole cycle.

Elysion

Banned
Very relevant topics in 2022.
Well, it would be interesting because if the XB1 had more RAM available, then you‘d expect it to show in games, maybe with better textures or something. But that didn’t happen; I can‘t think of a single multiplatform game that had better textures on XB1 compared to PS4. I mean, if games on XB1 had one or two extra GB available, that should’ve been pretty significant, shouldn’t it?

Pagusas

Elden Member
i’m curious if the overall amount of available memory allocated to game use changes over the course of a generation, what would happen if you tried to play a late gen title on the launch OS of the console? would it force you to update? if not; would the games performance suffer? curious for preservation sake is all.

Three

Well, it would be interesting because if the XB1 had more RAM available, then you‘d expect it to show in games, maybe with better textures or something. But that didn’t happen; I can‘t think of a single multiplatform game that had better textures on XB1 compared to PS4. I mean, if games on XB1 had one or two extra GB available, that should’ve been pretty significant, shouldn’t it?
Both PS4 and XB1 freed up RAM as the gen went on. They both start with more reserved for OS so that they don't get caught out on features and as the gen progresses memory optimisation and a more refined OS feature set mean they can free it for games. I think the PS3 at some point even changed where some OS data was stored. ie it decided that it wouldn't store some OS features in memory but shift it from the HDD when you press the XMB button. It slowed down responsiveness a little but offered more RAM to games. Now with super fast SSDs I think the OS footprint is fairly small and the UI pretty responsive.

Three

i’m curious if the overall amount of available memory allocated to game use changes over the course of a generation, what would happen if you tried to play a late gen title on the launch OS of the console? would it force you to update? if not; would the games performance suffer? curious for preservation sake is all.
Yes. This was especially evident in the PS3 gen where mandatory OS updates were even stored on the disc so you can play the game without a connection.

Top Bottom