• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Differences of Canada and the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draff

Some banks give a maximum amount of allowable transactions per month until they start charging 50 cents or so per transactions... that is unless you haven't discovered pc financial yet.

Colgate Total came out in Canada earlier too.

One of the things I liked the most about Canada was the availability of certain imported fruits. Relativly fresh mangosteen and rambutans were some of the fruit readily available in Canada while I don't think I've seen fresh ones here, ever.

mangosteen.jpeg

mmmm.... I wanna go back to Canada....

Nikashi

Banned
I didn't see anyone answer about the high rate of broadband penetration, so I'll explain.

Canada has the #2 rate of broadband internet availabilty/penetration in the entire world (South Korea being #1). Generally, no matter where you live, you'll have access to either cable or DSL. Shaw has a big ass fibre optic backbone running across Canada, so any place that has cable TV will most likely have cable internet. Rates are also MUCH lower than in the US, with a fully functional cable/dsl internet available for around $40CDN, even lower in some places.

Also, our drinking age is 18/19 up here depending on the province, marijuana is very close to being legalized, health care isn't 'free' if you can afford the VERY small premiums, but it IS free if you can't. Sort of... only pay if you can kinda system. Dental is not covered though, and optical is a province to province thing.

Movie ratings are different, with a movie that might garner an R rating in the US getting a 14A rating up here. Game releases are sometimes a few days later up here, but not always, and some games don't get released here at all, like the EA NCAA games (Although you can easily ship them from the US). Most big titles we get on launch day though.

You cannot get certain caffinated pops up here, such as Mountain Dew or dnL. This has to do with a law that only permits caffeine in dark beverages such as cola/root beer. Never fear though, because there is a Guarana powered series of Jolt flavours available, and all the same energy drinks you can get in the states. Also, our Coke uses cane sugar, which tastes MUCH better than the corn syrup used in American Coke, IMO.

Taxes on items range from 0% to 7% to 15%, depending on if it's food or not, and if your province has a provincial tax. Most food items are untaxed up here, unless it's like junk food.

I can't think of anything else at the moment :)

jenov4

Nikashi, naw you're wrong on a few small points:

Marijuana is not close at all to being legalized. The Canadian government just wants to decriminalize small posessions of mirijuana. Meaning you won't get charged for having a joint on you. But you will get criminally charged if you're growing this stuff illegally.

Mountain Dew is available here, not DNL though. Maybe the caffeine content is lower than the USA.

Nikashi

Banned
Sorry, I should have said 'decriminalized'

And there is NO caffeine in Mountain Dew at all. Check the label. It's against the law.

Dyne

Haha, last time I was down in America I bought 5 cases of Red Bull and stuffed them in my suitcase.

...I should've bought more now that I think about it.

Interesting comment about the Coke Nikashi; I've never noticed that before.

Overseer

People have asked through this thread where I plan on moving. Toronto most likely.

And there is NO caffeine in Mountain Dew at all. Check the label. It's against the law.

Mountain Dew sucks anyways. As long as they have Coke I will be ok.

Shinobi

rastex said:
First things first. Canadian drivers are LEAGUES beyond American drivers in skill. Americans are very agressive and fast drivers, whereas Canadians take things a bit more chilled out. Of course you'll have your exceptions on both sides, but in the general case Canadians are more patient.

Funny you say that, cause I was absolutely stunned at how bad drivers are here in Toronto compared to the drivers I saw growing up for 13 years in London. I'm not too stunned now though, considering driver's licenses are handed out like candy to teenagers, who are then driving on essentially grided, wide ass roads...a far cry to the more privelaged system of licsencing in the UK, along with it's narrow ass, twisty roads. The latter makes for a far better driver. Be sad as hell if drivers here are leagues better then Americans.

Nikashi said:
Game releases are sometimes a few days later up here, but not always, and some games don't get released here at all, like the EA NCAA games (Although you can easily ship them from the US).

Not true here, at least with NCAA Football...those games are available. But yeah, the college basketball games from both Sega and EA are pretty hard to find for some reason (I pretty much lucked out finding ESPN College Hoops used).

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Here in British Columbia, you have to pass a written test to get your first license (L), and then you take the second class license (N) road test about a year afterward. After 2 years, you will then be allowed to go for the full license road test. I think that's pretty harsh already.

I can't believe noone mentioned the beer thing. Canadian beer is much stronger than American beer. I've seen several American tourists look a little taken aback after taking a swig of our beer.

Canadian Idol and Degrassi are our highest rated shows.

Canadians believe in God just as much as Americans, but are less religious on average (if that makes any sense)

Smarties are like a good version of M & M's.

We have more than 2 prominent political parties, and every time a party says something, the other ones are on the news bitching about it.:)

We are EXTREMELY regional. Western Canadians, Quebecers, Newfies, Capers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom