• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - [4K HDR] Days Gone PS4 Pro Gameplay: An HDR Showcase?

Fake

Bend Studio's latest - Days Gone - is a beautiful-looking game, with a great HDR implementation, so we decided to put an HDR-based preview together. The full analysis follows later this week. In the meantime, Rich and D dark10x have some initial thoughts.
This is an HDR-encoded video, which will play on YouTube HDR supported displays and mobile devices. Users with SDR displays get a tonemapped SDR presentation.
Summary:
- Spoiler warning: 1 hour of gameplay (Rich playing)
- HDR-encoded video (regular 4k TV will play SDR)
- HDR implementation is great Rich say
- John like as well. He using a LG OLED HDR tv
- Game use UE4, but don't look like others UE after all. Maybe different shaders.
- The old trailers show some sort of bad frame pace issues, but the final game being fixed
- Dynamic weather is impressive as well
- Comparison light with Horizon Zero Dawn, firing with RDR2
- 12:00 some story related scene.
- Great implementation of Adpt Field
- A.I behavior not the best, but solid
- Montion Blur ( D dark10x favorite tech)
- PS4pro reach 4k via checkerboard rendering (no base PS4 resolution yet)
- Rich saying was this game they used to test the difference between native 4k and checkerboard render. Rich needed a real close analysis to see the difference.

Bend Studios' first game of this console generation has finally arrived, after seven years in development. It's powered by Unreal Engine 4, but it's quite unlike anything we've seen before on that engine. Join D dark10x for this detailed tech breakdown of Days Gone.

Summary:
- PRO runs at 3840x2160 via checkerboard rendering, some edges looks clear, other showing some cb render artefacts
- base PS4 runs at 1920x1080
- Still not a sign of dynamic resolution
- Both PRO and base PS4 looks very similar in terms of visual quality
- PRO have some more detail shadow quality
- Good implementation of global ilummation interact with shadows, but show some flaws in some scenes
- Agressive weather make the game greatly refine and impressive. In adition, wind simulation while raining or thunderstorm.
- Not a high implementation of motion blur (Sry John)
- Find some sound issues between the bike while exploring the world (18:46)
- Perfomance time
- PRO being consistence on maintain the 30 fps than base PS4
- Some dips around that scene. Not a commom problem, but can appears.
- John mention maybe after the day one patch this could be fixed, but he not expected this from a Sony first party game
- Some texture poping/texture stream issue on base PS4. (20:20)
- 'The overall experience is solid'(20:52)

Last edited:

stranno

A bit OT.

In my opinion Burning Skies was a GREAT game, probably my second favourite Resistance game of all time after Resistance 3. Nihilistic did a very good job with the graphics, weapons, missions. They even tried the classic Resistance 2/3 large groups of Grim Chimera attacks. It could be better but terrible? WTF?

As much as i love Bend ... Retribution was just a bare Logan's Shadow mod. They just created some assets based on Resistance and throwed them into Logan's Shadow engine. They even included, for the first time in the series, diving and mermaid chimeras because, again, it was just a mod. That, and not Burning Skies, is actually not a great game, Logan's Shadow engine just doesnt work right for a Resistance game.

BTW: First Bend's work was a visual-novel-puzzle thing for the Apple Newton PDA. Really strange choice since Newton was a disaster in terms of hardware abstraction.

Last edited:

Bend Studio's latest - Days Gone - is a beautiful-looking game, with a great HDR implementation, so we decided to put an HDR-based preview together. The full analysis follows later this week. In the meantime, Rich and D dark10x have some initial thoughts.

Summary:
- Spoiler warning: 1 hour of gameplay (Rich playing)
- HDR-encoded video (regular 4k TV will play SDR)
- HDR implementation is great Rich say
- John like as well. He using a LG OLED HDR tv
- Game use UE4, but don't look like others UE after all. Maybe different shaders.
- The old trailers show some sort of bad frame pace issues, but the final game being fixed
- Dynamic weather is impressive as well
- Comparison light with Horizon Zero Dawn, firing with RDR2
- 12:00 some story related scene.
- Great implementation of Adpt Field
- A.I behavior not the best, but solid
- Montion Blur ( D dark10x favorite tech)
- PS4pro reach 4k via checkerboard rendering (no base PS4 resolution yet)
- Rich saying was this game they used to test the difference between native 4k and checkerboard render. Rich needed a real close analysis to see the difference.

Thanks for another breakdown. I saw the video go up 20 mins ago but can’t watch it atm

Edit

There’s a newer video, this was what I thought was in the OP

Last edited:

Fake

Ok. Will update the OP right now.
edit: add the PS4/PRO analysis.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In my opinion Burning Skies was a GREAT game, probably my second favourite Resistance game of all time after Resistance 3. Nihilistic did a very good job with the graphics, weapons, missions. They even tried the classic Resistance 2/3 large groups of Grim Chimera attacks. It could be better but terrible? WTF?
That’s interesting and I totally respect that opinion. I’m a lover of many an unpopular game.

I was perhaps a bit harsh but I was quite bummed out by Burning Skies at the time. I should give it another shot maybe.

stranno

That’s interesting and I totally respect that opinion. I’m a lover of many an unpopular game.

I was perhaps a bit harsh but I was quite bummed out by Burning Skies at the time. I should give it another shot maybe.
If you are running a softmodded Vita you should try LOLIcon plugin to overclock it. While the vanilla game was not terrible in terms of performance, it certainly enhances the experience.

Last edited:
This is pushing the ps4 to the limit. The animations, gun recoil and heaviness to weapons, the hordes of zombies, and the general level of detail are all very impressive.

Sucks it has some bugs, and massive patches, but I will wait until the final patch drops and a price cut and play the game when it's completed development.

Top Bottom