• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Metro Exodus RTX Upgrades

JoduanER2

Ray tracing is a step up in the right direction, but so far the is too demanding. Didnt know that about how light sources work in most games. (A uniform point light source instead of depending on the actual source).

Ray tracing is a step up in the right direction, but so far the is too demanding. Didnt know that about how light sources work in most games. (A uniform point light source instead of depending on the actual source).

Yeah, honestly I did not know that either, especially when firing guns. It just makes ray tracing even more amazing.

pawel86ck

Banned
At 1080p performance impact isnt huge so RTX is worth it

0ro6kAh.jpg

Last edited:

Coflash

What does that mean though? Average across the entire game or specific areas?

Because even with a 2080, I get frequent dips below 60 with RTX enabled (1440p). In some areas it's hard to get 60 at all.

Last edited:

jonnyp

All these videos do for me is show me how good rasterization is at faking lighting. Yes, of course RT looks better and more correct but the dfiference isn't worth 40+% performance impact.

RT as currently implemented just isn't impactful enough to me with only one bounce per ray, current number of rays and current impact on performance.

sendit

All these videos do for me is show me how good rasterization is at faking lighting. Yes, of course RT looks better and more correct but the dfiference isn't worth 40+% performance impact.

RT as currently implemented just isn't impactful enough to me with only one bounce per ray, current number of rays and current impact on performance.

Disagree. This video just showed how horrible rasterization is at faking real lighting. This is a huge step forward in terms of rendering a realistic scene.

lukilladog

Yeah, and that´s not even a display of the more advanced lighting techniques available for rasterization, it´s just stuff that has to be able to run on 1.4 tflop 750ti level of hardware. The perfect example of diminishing returns:

lXb4vMO.jpg

This game is beautiful with RT on. I find myself spending more time just flipping the lanterns on and off than actually playing the game.

sendit

7CqPcuw.jpg

FROlhAT.jpg

I can't get over how there is a clear light above the grates in standard lighting. However, the shadow that it cast reflects otherwise. This is really jarring to look at.

jonnyp

Disagree. This video just showed how horrible rasterization is at faking real lighting. This is a huge step forward in terms of rendering a realistic scene.

Horrible? Huge step? Hurray for hyperbole everyone!

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Metro Exodus is on my short list of next games to play, but why am I reading so much about the “abysmal controls“?
Not one. Not a few. But dozens and dozens of user reviews over at Metacritic are explaining how they love the first two, but because of the horrible controls and shooting, they absolutely hate this newer third Metro title

What do you guys say?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Metro Exodus is on my short list of next games to play, but why am I reading so much about the “abysmal controls“?
Not one. Not a few. But dozens and dozens of user reviews over at Metacritic are explaining how they love the first two, but because of the horrible controls and shooting, they absolutely hate this newer third Metro title

What do you guys say?
controls are pretty bad. nothing more to say. bad input lag. huge deadzone. cant aim. cant shoot for shit.

Eiknarf

controls are pretty bad. nothing more to say. bad input lag. huge deadzone. cant aim. cant shoot for shit.

OK I looked up what “dead zone” means in video game terms

But I’m still confused

When I was playing ‘the last of us’ six months ago - halfway through the game, when moving the main protagonist (Joel) forward, he would erratically stop and go... it was frustrating

I assumed there was a glitch in the game and they had to update or patch it something.

But it turns out the dead zone was in my ps4 controller. Like, the “moving up or forward” was worn out.

The problem was fixed when I got another controller

So how could a game have a dead zone?

Last edited:
Metro Exodus is one of the best games I played when it comes to atmosphere BUT I do have to agree that the controls are sluggish/heavy and the movement as well. Maybe they wanted to have a more realistic approach, can't tell but yes the complaints could be valid. Won't stop you from enjoying this atmospheric masterpiece tho. It's not a twitch shooter, it's supposed to play like a survival and slow first person shooter.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
OK I looked up what “dead zone” means in video game terms

But I’m still confused

When I was playing ‘the last of us’ six months ago - halfway through the game, when moving the main protagonist (Joel) forward, he would erratically stop and go... it was frustrating

I assumed there was a glitch in the game and they had to update or Patrick something.

But it turns out the dead zone was in my ps4 controller. Like, the “moving up or forward” was worn out.

The problem was fixed when I got another controller

So how could a game have a dead zone?
nearly every game has a deadzone. its when you press the analog stick in a direction and the game decides when to let you start moving. its a game design decision. most games including rdr2 let you turn it off completely.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

What do you guys say?
That's not even the worst problem.
It's the shitty story in that game and acting.

Srsly skip it 🤣

So I would enjoy Metro Redux over Metro Exodus, right?

Don't bother listening to him. It's superior in every regards to the previous titles and the voice acting and the interactions between characters is very nice. You do need to play previous titles tho. The russian accent/bad english is on purpose.

Last edited:
Ad of now raytracings implementation is bogus I totally don't see the big need of it at the moment traditional techniques work for me and they'll even be better next gen, all raytracings good for is racing games to add that reflection on cars and global illumination anything else is bogus

GymWolf

Is the dlss work right with this game? Or it is a blurry mess like almost every other game who use this stuff??

I want to try rtx in this game but not at fullhd and 30 frames...

Ad of now raytracings implementation is bogus I totally don't see the big need of it at the moment traditional techniques work for me and they'll even be better next gen, all raytracings good for is racing games to add that reflection on cars and global illumination anything else is bogus

Your comment is bogus.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the bump, but I just got a gaming laptop with an RTX 2060 in it and booted this up for a couple of hours (played to the train sequence). The ray tracing stuff is very atmospheric, but you really can't see shit in certain scenes when it's turned on and it makes the shooting a nightmare on top of the already funky controls. Not really feeling this overall...

Seriously. Haven't been frustrated with shooting controls this much since Killzone 2. I switched to mouse and keyboard, but even then it feels just kind of bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sygma

What do you guys say?

In short the two first Metros had NO recoil to manage at all, there were brain dead fucking trash console fps.

This one does, its much more akin to S.T.A.L.K.E.R overall thus much better. PC, can't speak for consoles

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I hate how gaming lingo isn't based on the real physical terms. It's not "emissive" lighting per se as it is "area" lighting.

This is the first game that uses "area" lights. The only way to implement area lights, you have to sample the surface several times and retrieve several light rays before rendering the light loop. I can guarantee that they aren't also testing for shadows during the trace - which would give soft shadows. If they are, I would love to know how they get away with a non-noisy illumination unless they are doing the tracing at a much lower res and then using the tensor cores to clean up the undersampling. And I would love to see if their specular materials are also being used for the light rays (which would be "false" because the light rays bend according to how "shiny" a material is).

Might have to pick up this DLC and check it out.

longdi

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but I just got a gaming laptop with an RTX 2060 in it and booted this up for a couple of hours (played to the train sequence). The ray tracing stuff is very atmospheric, but you really can't see shit in certain scenes when it's turned on and it makes the shooting a nightmare on top of the already funky controls. Not really feeling this overall...

Blame that on shitty pc/laptop monitors, the one segment where tech advances have stood still.
You probably need a good hdr monitor to see shit here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blame that on shitty pc/laptop monitors, the one segment where tech advances have stood still.
You probably need a good hdr monitor to see shit here.

Doubt many PC players are playing with HDR-enabled displays, so it would have been better if they didn't darken the shadowed areas so much. It was basically impossible to see anything in that early train hijacking sequence. The great ray-traced environment light also really make the enemy flashlights and their lack of actually lighting anything up really stand out.

Eiknarf

In short the two first Metros had NO recoil to manage at all, there were brain dead fucking trash console fps.

This one does, its much more akin to S.T.A.L.K.E.R overall thus much better. PC, can't speak for consoles
Ahhhh so it’s good?
The “shooting control issue” is a recoil response based in how a real gun would respond? Are you saying it’s an upgradeable feature that gets better as you advance?

Sygma

Ahhhh so it’s good?
The “shooting control issue” is a recoil response based in how a real gun would respond? Are you saying it’s an upgradeable feature that gets better as you advance?

Yeah you can modify guns quite a bit in it

Just skip people who don't really play fps for the core gameplay / are bad at it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing the Two Colonels DLC for a little bit and, man, the RTX-enabled lighting is incredible. I wish they would go back and RTX re-master the base game to include the indoor segments.

Top Bottom