• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Remnant 2 - An Unreal Engine 5 Nanite Showcase? PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S DF Tech Review

Bojji

WTF?! Please don’t tell me UE5 doesn’t have HDR by default. It was bad enough that “lazy“ devs didn’t add it to games that used UE4. Resolution isn’t the problem with this game, no HDR is.

Many ue4 games don't have HDR, from what I know devs had to make some custom stuff to run it properly.

So far ue5 seems to be some major disappointed, most of ue4 problems are still there:

Shader stutter (less of it), lack of HDR in many games (we will see) and piss poor CPU scaling (this one is MAJOR)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't like agreeing with rofif rofif but he is right. This is not a console problem but a DEVELOPER PROBLEM. These are simply terribly optimized games. You can see this by how fucking abysmal the PC port is. The game is simply bloated and terribly coded.

A pro console would just result in lazier developers (and harsher deadlines). A true solution would simply just be harsher quality control from Sony/MS. These games should be under more scrutiny so that they can't get away with lazy shit like this. Day 1 the game should be functioning as if it got a patch 3 months later.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Just started, playing performance mode in a 120hz container and getting no screen tearing apart from cutscenes, seems nice and smooth. Maybe it's been patched already.
Game looks good with some great texture work and sitting 6ft from a 55" TV I couldn't tell if it was 720p to be honest, it's a convincing upscale, only hair really gives it away.

Last edited:

unlurkified

There’s a massive difference between an in-house first party developer with the tremendous advantages of no budget and time constraints, working on their company’s platform - versus a much smaller studio creating a multiplatform game.
Yeah, I’ve never understood the argument, “We don’t need new consoles, look at what Naughty Dog’s able to pull off.” It’s clear that there’s a finite amount of top-tier talent in the industry.

hlm666

I don't like agreeing with rofif rofif but he is right. This is not a console problem but a DEVELOPER PROBLEM. These are simply terribly optimized games. You can see this by how fucking abysmal the PC port is. The game is simply bloated and terribly coded.

A pro console would just result in lazier developers (and harsher deadlines). A true solution would simply just be harsher quality control from Sony/MS. These games should be under more scrutiny so that they can't get away with lazy shit like this. Day 1 the game should be functioning as if it got a patch 3 months later.
FF16 was just as much a culprit with the 720p and framerate issues but was continually praised for cutscenes with the quality/30fps mode being fine and the way to play it, and that was a single platform release. I don't know what is going on lately in regards to all these questionable performance profiles, but this isn't a single engine or AA dev studio only problem.

We need more source 2 games, that's the solution.
I'm joking, I bet they could fuck that up aswell.

BbMajor7th

Honestly, I think we've reached the point where the returns have diminished to such a degree that the trade-offs aren't worth it. This has been in the offing for a while now. Honestly, I want devs to stop chasing the next visual benchmark and start focusing on game design, art direction and robust technical direction.

In the last month, I've dropped FFXVI and Diablo IV out of boredom and picked up Bioshock and Dark Souls II in their stead. I'm actually finding more to admire about the older games, even though I've played them before. The power chase is killing the medium. Right now, I'm more excited for Sea of Stars than I am for any other major Q3 release.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

unlurkified

It always bums me out when a dev has really good ideas/gameplay systems but crappy tech to back it up. It’s the From curse.

mrcroket

DF has worse and worse technical analysis, no in-depth analysis of the technologies and their uses, a simple "use nanite", no direct comparisons between consoles other than "they perform more or less the same and look more or less the same".

So I tried it on PS5 and while it’s much better than the awful FSR in FF16 and Jedi Survivor it’s still very obviously reconstructed. Lots of smearing, ghosting and very obvious artifacts such as shimmering when the camera moves.

I wouldn’t have guessed 720p to be fair but you’d have to be blind to think this is comparable to native 1440p if you intend to move the camera at all.

Maybe from 1080p the super resolution would look much better but 720p is too low.

Looks much better IQ wise with DLSS but not as huge a difference as some recent games so there’s definitely potential with UE5 if they can get the internal resolution higher.

Barakov

Gold Member
Oof. Thankfully, there was a problem with my order and I was able to cancel it. Sounds like another case of waiting for a couple of patches until it's up to par.

Its both lets be honest

Top Bottom