• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Star Ocean 4: A PS4 Game With Full PC Quality Settings!

JP

I'll add a few details now but I'm quite impressed with what they're showing here.

EDIT:
I don't want to add too much details as people won't watch the video, which doesn't help them.

Visual Style (Menu Styles)
  • Modern / Classic
Display Settings
  • Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 / 1280 x 720 / 2560 x 1440 [Pro] / 3840 x 2160 [Pro]
Rendering Settings
  • Shadow Buffer: Standard / 2X / 4X
  • Anti-Aliasing: Off / FXAA2 / FXAA3
  • Camera Blur: On / Off
  • Depth of Field: On / Off
  • Character Display Distance: Close / Medium / Far (Render distance for other characters.)
  • Self-Shadowing: On / Off
  • Texture Resolution: Low / High (Doesn't seem to make much of a difference)
[4K] Star Ocean 4: A PS4 Game With Full PC Quality Settings!

PantsuJo

I agree with the final comment of the article, a good&balanced preset would have been the best possibile choice for a game on console, given its bad performance on every setting... I can't see so many PS4 users passing time in the setting screen like us PC users.

But I like the idea, speaking generally: it can help to reduce the gap of tech mindset from console and PC users so, yeah, it's a first step and an interesting move.

JP

I agree with the final comment of the article, a good&balanced preset would have been the best possibile choice for a game on console, given its bad performance on every setting... I can't see so many PS4 users passing time in the setting screen like us PC users.

But I like the idea, speaking generally: it can help to reduce the gap of tech mindset from console and PC users so, yeah, it's a first step and an interesting move.
I think the issue I've always had with options like this is that it always annoys me if I'm not able to use the best possible settings and seem to waste my time endlessly messing around with the different options.

I haven't games on PC for many years but t was always an issue for me.

It is a good thing to have options like these but the options that you get even though I'll never be happy with whatever options that I do choose and I would like to see more choices for games moving forwards.

Poppyseed

This is a joke. I like consoles because you don't have piss about with all these settings.

At the very least, it should tell you which settings will give you 60fps at all times, because it's quite clear that 4K on the PS4 Pro dropped to ~30fps when blindsiding in combat - is just ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, having options is GREAT, but not if I have to spend an age to figure out which will give me 60fps at ~ALL times.

JordanN

Banned
"Full PC Quality Settings" is really pushing it.

Honestly, when PS5 comes out I feel like there wont be much more visual difference.

Console technology has gotten really powerful and combined with game budgets, there really isn't much more developers can push without breaking the budget.

Gone are the days when you had the console version and the PC version were 2 completely different games. Now we're just seeing differences in frame rates or settings you can toggle on or off.

Senua

Gold Member
Honestly, when PS5 comes out I feel like there wont be much more visual difference.

Console technology has gotten really powerful
and combined with game budgets, there really isn't much more developers can push without breaking the budget.

Gone are the days when you had the console version and the PC version were 2 completely different games. Now we're just seeing differences in frame rates or settings you can toggle on or off.

Yea man those jaguars are space age.

JordanN

Banned
Yea man those jaguars are space age.

Which really hasn't mean much because there are bigger advancements made using the GPU.

And that proves my point. The lack of CPU hasn't stopped new consoles games from looking better than the last.

10 - 20 years ago, the bottlenecks were much more obvious. Remember how the SNES had to rely on special cartridge chips just to keep up with the competition?

PantsuJo

Don't get me wrong, having options is GREAT, but not if I have to spend an age to figure out which will give me 60fps at ~ALL times.
The article suggests that a 1080p resolution allows 60 fps basically all the time (with max settings? For what I understood)

thelastword

Banned
Very cool settings, but it needs better anti-aliasing options, an option to choose DOF's rendering resolution..

Some TAA on this game would be ideal....As far as I'm concerned, they should have offered CB 4K with all the bells and whistles as a performance mode...

JimboJones

The article suggests that a 1080p resolution allows 60 fps basically all the time (with max settings? For what I understood)

The digital foundry video even had a picture of his own recommended settings, just use one of those and your good to go.

Load times on console games are generally still pretty bad too compared with PC.

Bumping this because I just tried it out on the PS5 and it looks like you can basically max all the settings and it runs at a locked 60fps. On the Pro you had to sort of mix and match between resolution and the graphics settings, but I just watched a cutscene and did a quick battle and it seemed smooth the entire time with everything at the highest setting. Not sure about the blindside thing though, apparently that specifically caused big performance issues previously.

Of all games, this is definitely a strange one to be so future proofed for sure...

I think that they should have a performance and a quality (30fps) mode.. maybe add all these settings behind an advanced graphics options for those who are curious.

Also, I can't watch now.. but there doesn't seem to be a toggle for a 30fps cap.

Top Bottom