• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DIRT: Colin McRae Off-Road (PS3/360) screens

J-Rzez

Target renders, in-game, oil painting I don't give a ****... I'll buy this immediately, hell, i don't need to see any pictures of it, just put it on a shelf in a black box with text on it so i know i'm buying it and not a NFSU game... Rally racers are my videogame equivalent to prostate-milkings... break out the latex gloves and ky baby!

VNZ

Rabid Pancake said:
No, I don't know. Care to go into detail?
What I mean is essentially that if a screenshot of a game doesn't look good resized to last-gen or even the-gen-before-that resolution (640x480 or even 320x240), any detail that the HD image reveals won't save the general look you could make out at the lower resolution.

Rabid Pancake

TheTrin's underpaid lackey
VNZ said:
What I mean is essentially that if a screenshot of a game doesn't look good resized to last-gen or even the-gen-before-that resolution (640x480 or even 320x240), any detail that the HD image reveals won't save the general look you could make out at the lower resolution.

You're still not making sense.

Gek54

Rabid Pancake said:
You're still not making sense.

He is saying they are wasting resources on detail when the overal picture look worse than small pictures he posted. I blame poor lighting, then again these are just concepts though they reak of TOCA:RD3 lighting.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
OH MY GOD! i've been waiting sooo ong to see next gen rally. looks stunning, and cmr is a great series.

Rabid Pancake

TheTrin's underpaid lackey
Gek54 said:
He is saying they are wasting resources on detail when the overal picture look worse than small pictures he posted. I blame poor lighting, then again these are just concepts though they reak of TOCA:RD3 lighting.

Only he posted up jpegs, which have asstasstic compression. I can't tell where the details begins and the artifacting ends.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Gek54 said:
Keep waiting.

eh, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. really doesnt look out of the realm of possible. the cars look rougher then the pgr3 cars for example, the engine likely doesnt have to draw many vehicles at once (not sure actually, since they have new events), and the trackside detail shows plenty of flaws as well...

of course i dont expect the game to look anywhere near as "clean" in actual screen grabs, but much like the pgr3 photomode pics vs. in game, it will look very similar while actually in motion.

please be real in engine shots

VNZ

OK, another try!

This...

_310.jpg

looks better than this... Love Football Screenshot

Not only because the lower res would cover up some of the ugliness of Love Football, but because in that smaller picture the tiny details is not as important as the general composition. By that I mean all the different shades of green that make up the grass, the rather high level of contrast on the players and the overall dynamic range of both color and luminosity.

The "artists' squinting" analogy is rather fitting since when you squint you really only see the general composition of light and color, and before you have that down it's no use working on the details since the overall image will look like crap anyway. Kind of like how Napoleon Dynamite's "three hours of working on the shading of the upper lip" didn't save his portrait of Trisha to be quite a disaster -- something you can make out even at a thumbnail level:

thumb_trisha-sticker.jpg

Rabid Pancake said:
Only he posted up jpegs, which have asstasstic compression. I can't tell where the details begins and the artifacting ends.
Yes! I suppose some prefer to look for beauty in the details.

those are concept screens which means that while the engine is obviously not finished yet and everything is pasted together, all stuff you can see is indeed real time.

VNZ

thegodsend said:
those are concept screens which means that while the engine is obviously not finished yet and everything is pasted together, all stuff you can see is indeed real time.
Now that's stretching it a bit ... no, actually what you're saying is a straight up lie. There's nothing "real time" about those concept screens.

IGN said:
Note that these are concept images as it's a little too early to show any in-game content yet, but we're told that these were created using the reference 3D models that will be featured in the game.

fse

Pedigree Chum said:
Dude, this is a Colin McRae Off-Road thread. Stop being a nuiscance. Also, Motorstorm looks a lot better than those screens suggest.

Anyway, renders or not, these screens look GREAT. Let's hope it maintains that level of visual fidelity while running at 60fps.

its looks okay for renders.

hello futami

VNZ said:
Now that's stretching it a bit ... no, actually what you're saying is a straight up lie. There's nothing "real time" about those concept screens.

I understand that those "reference 3D models" are the models they will use ingame. Of course those are no screenshots of a running build.

All in all I see no problem to achieve these visuals with maybe minor downgrades.

Ranger X

Shinobi said:
So did TOCA 2 for that matter...not that the dumb shits on this board would ever play a decent racer.

We'll see how this one turns out visually, though this ridiculous habit of using concept pics for the new generation has already gotten old and **** (and just as annoying). Game wise though I'm not too worried...the last couple McRae's were very solid, if not the ass kicker that was CMR2. Between this and Sega Rally Revo, things are looking up for this rally fan.

I'm not really worried either. Codemasters already prove their talent by numerous quality games.

Top Bottom