• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discord has 45 million registered users, 8.9 million daily active users

psyfi

Banned
I should check it out someday. I keep meaning to, but I don't really see the point of it when I have GAF.

BHK3

Banned
I'd still be using mumble if my friends didn't switch over :( I've had so many issues with discord its so bloated...

No idea what Discord actually is. Heard people use it but have never seen anyone use it personally.
Its a chat app put simply, but its basically the best of every chat app imaginable.

You have persistent accounts that can connect to multiple servers through a multitude of sources (web, mobile, desktop). Servers can have multiple voice chat rooms, multiple text chat rooms, api integration for bots, deep permissions mapping. User tagging in messages, room pinging, and a ton more.

I used it for text chats LONG before I ever migrated for voice.

When I was still playing fighting games I had servers for games, and individual servers for discussing characters I played, alongside my local friends group room. The UI in all versions of the app is fantastic and makes it a breeze to bounce between multiple conversations.

As a text chat app alone, it really puts to shame a lot of the long standing chat apps like Line.

Discord is great. The way it creates communities based around a server and not just a voice chat service is the genius part. Even when not actively gaming and wanting voice chat it encourages people to check in and use it as an IRC style chat or forum.

RPGam3r

Lol I rarely if ever go to reddit, and have never bothered with discord. So if this is the "front" of the internet than I missed a damn memo somewhere.

It's gonna be at 100 million users by the end of 2018. If not far beyond that. Discord is the best of its kind.

It's incredibly easy to use, incredibly convenient, and incredibly versatile.

jediyoshi

Dudes must be itching to get bought out, no way they're making any money on this.

I'd still be using mumble if my friends didn't switch over :( I've had so many issues with discord its so bloated...

You mean feature wise? The app is pretty straight forward, let alone the fact it only requires a browser.

Canklestank

Neo Member
I couldn't get Discord to work with my mic, so I haven't used it much. Can someone explain how it's any better than Curse (now Twitch)?

WhatTheFox

Neo Member
I love Discord. Our raid group used to use mumble, which was fine (albeit annoying if we needed to PuG someone), but once we downloaded Discord, we've never gone back. We even use it for text chatting and announcements every day - so much easier than group text messaging. The smartphone app works great too, at least for text chat (never tried voice with it). Everything is free - for now - I can set up very specific permissions for different groups on every channel, it has a web app and url invites. Use it every day. Definitely miles ahead of its competitors; deserves the success.

Discord is like Slack- It's buttery smooth. It's like covering yourself in lube and then putting on a fur coat. You're like a Dolphin in a kitty pool filled with bacon grease. It's just so smooth animations.. no lag. No annoying stutters or slow down. Even the loading animations and different state of every icon is nice. You don't have any problems with the function. It's pleasing your third eye and your primary eyes.

Good UX is inoxicating. It makes you hard and moist.

Where as bad UI is terrible. It makes you sad. Everytime I accidently open Powerpoint or Itunes, I am reminded that the world is cruel and life is hell.

Kneefoil

Those are surprisingly big numbers to me. Not saying it doesn't deserve them, though. It does what it sets out to do well, but to be entirely honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the UI.

zeelman

All my Steam groups switched to Discord for chat and it's been awesome. Such a great program. Of course we also use it for voice chat.

oneils

It's kind of weird that it took so long for a service like this to appear. It seems like a no-brainer. Just have to make some of it less confusin, cause I have to admit that I'm sometimes confused when using it.

ChazGW7

Discord is incredible and the frequency and quality of their updates is second-to-none in voice services. Fantastic service and much better than anything else being offered.

Top Bottom