• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Streaming Service Name & Early Slate

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Disney has opened up officially about its upcoming streaming service and finally given it a name – ‘Disney+’.

The Disney+ app will have five microsites within it devoted to their various key brands – Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Nat Geo and Disney. Each of these brand sites will have different user interfaces.

The legacy content on Disney+ is expected to include approximately 7,000 episodes of television and 500 movies to start. The initial goal is to have four to five original movies and five television shows a year with the initial show line-up including:

– Three “Star Wars” series – the resurrected animated series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” the live-action “The Mandalorian,” and the aforementioned Cassian Andor show.

– Marvel will be doing TV series about the characters of Loki, Scarlet Witch/Vision, and Falcon/Winter Soldier.

– Pixar is doing a yet-to-be-titled animated series based on the popular “Monsters, Inc” franchise, and a documentary series “Ink & Paint” about the untold story of the often-overlooked female employees who worked for Disney animation.

– Also coming are TV series remakes of the John Cusack-led “High Fidelity,” the Disney Channel franchise “High School Musical,” and the 1990s sports family franchise “Mighty Ducks.

– Original movies including “Magic Camp” and “Noelle” currently in post-production; “Lady and the Tramp,” “Stargirl,” “Timmy Failure”, and “Togo” currently in production; and “Three Men and a Baby,” “Don Quixote,” “Father of the Bride,” “Flora & Ulysses,” “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,” “The Paper Magician,” “The Parent Trap,” “Peter Pan” and “The Sword in the Stone” all in development.

Once the Fox transaction is complete, Disney will have 60% ownership of Hulu and Iger made it clear that Hulu and Disney+ can co-exist quite nicely – it will be Disney’s home for general entertainment while Disney+ will house family fare.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-streaming-service-name-early-slate/

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I'm interested in streaming their old stuff, but what they're making now sounds awful. Do people care that much about Monsters Inc. ? It was an okay movie, but is it such a beloved franchise that we needed a dumb prequel no one watched and a TV show? Maybe I'm just out of touch.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I'm interested in streaming their old stuff, but what they're making now sounds awful. Do people care that much about Monsters Inc. ? It was an okay movie, but is it such a beloved franchise that we needed a dumb prequel no one watched and a TV show? Maybe I'm just out of touch.

I agree. If Fox was on it it’d be an easy done deal, but without it I’ll probably just sign up for a month once or twice a year.

haxan7

Banned
Genius.

Basically the Disney channel for the streaming era.

They might actually succeed with this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Wow, I wonder how long it took them to come up with "Disney+" lmfao.

I will probably subscribe but only for Star Wars.

Weiji

Banned
Wow, the stupidity here is astounding. Netflix has you completely over a barrel on volume of content and subs... and your response is to split your service over multiple logins and plans... with none of the Fox content you spend half your market cap on?

This right here is why Netflix wins. These companies are too stupid to live.

Weiji

Banned
Hulu:
“In fact, Iger suggests either or both of Hulu’s minority shareholders Comcast and AT&T may choose to divest of their interest. He also says he plans to invest more in original programming for the service and perhaps increase the monthly subscription fees.”

Lmao Iger is retarded.

Hulu:
“In fact, Iger suggests either or both of Hulu’s minority shareholders Comcast and AT&T may choose to divest of their interest. He also says he plans to invest more in original programming for the service and perhaps increase the monthly subscription fees.”

Lmao Iger is retarded.

I'm sure you could do a better job running that company since the man is retarded according to you.

kunonabi

Nothing of interest to me aside from the Scarlet Witch and Falcon shows. I can just imagine how much political nonsense Disney is going to push in those remakes.

JimiNutz

Banned
A few years ago I would have been excited for the Star Wars content but I def won't be there day one for this. The Marvel shows don't necessarily sound that exciting either.

If the Star Wars and Marvel content is decent then I may pay for a couple of months once there is sufficient content for me to binge watch but I'm definitely not in a rush to watch any of the announced content.

Disney should only have one streaming service and not multiple ones for each of their shows/tvs. If they and other companies keeping doing this, it will be very anti-consumer and will lead people to pirating their stuff

Last edited:
I’ve banged the same number of super models as your idol Iger has. Since you apparently think that has something to do with properly running a Fortune 500 company.

If you had the skills to run one you would. You don't have the skills, so you sit at home on your keyboard bitching and complaining while thinking you are better at it than someone who's done it for over 10 years and tripled the company's market cap.

I always knew people were getting a raw deal in the long term by throwing their hat into streaming.

Sure enough it's splintered into a 100 different things and now you'd pay the same amount of money for them all as you would just a cable package.

sol_bad

I always knew people were getting a raw deal in the long term by throwing their hat into streaming.

Sure enough it's splintered into a 100 different things and now you'd pay the same amount of money for them all as you would just a cable package.

I would prefer a streaming service where I can watch what I want when I want rather than scheduled programming.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm sure you could do a better job running that company since the man is retarded according to you.
I'm sure you also banged every supermodel you ever dreamed of....at the same time.
If you had the skills to run one you would. You don't have the skills, so you sit at home on your keyboard bitching and complaining while thinking you are better at it than someone who's done it for over 10 years and tripled the company's market cap.

its-time-to-stop-posting-1482243.png

The guy thinks it's a bad business decision. He's entitled to say that. How about instead of attacking him because he has the temerity to dare question the actions of Bob Iger, you instead state why you think it's a good decision? This notion that 'X has power and money = infallible' is for the birds. One only has to look at how poorly Igers subordinate has mishandled the Star Wars franchise of late to understand that.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Would have been easier to just team up with Netflix and just say, for an extra $5 a month, you get all this exclusive Disney content. But nah, let's just make another streaming service that people have to utilize on top of what's already out there. Amazon has this option where you can pay to get other premium packages, much easier to deal with.

Weiji

Banned

Disney is five years behind on streaming.

Multiple other companies with limited libraries have attempted what Disney is now attempting, all have failed. Segmented sales of small libraries don’t work, consumers want access to everything with a single click.

Right now Netflix and Amazon are the only companies that understand that.

Netflix has over 120 million subs and is growing fast. Hulu has likely 10-20 with dwindling growth.

This isn’t debatable, these are facts. Hulu lost, it’s going to suffer a slow death. Instead of acknowledging reality Iger is planning to drop more money on a failed idea. And laughably thinks he might be able to raise their price.

This is Disney’s chance, the world’s eyes are on them, if they release a crap product no one will check again later to see if its improved.

So when I say Iger is a retard I MEAN IT. Streaming is the future of ALL MEDIA, failure here is failure forever. And with Netflix at its current size / growth, they don’t have the luxury of this kind of mistake.

Now if you’ve got an actual opinion on this share it, argue it, prove it, or shut the fuck up with the personal attacks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom