• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's next two Studio Ghibli releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
[hopefully this isn't old, my searches came up empty]

Disney will release Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas on August 16th.

Pom Poko said:
Studio:
WALT DISNEY HOME ENTERTAINMENT/STUDIO GHIBLI

Story:
From the creators of the Academy Award®-winning “Spirited Away” (Best Animated Film, 2002), POM
POKO is the fantastic, animated tale of survival of a group of magical creatures. These friendly creatures,
called Tanukis, can temporarily shape-shift into the forms of humans. When their peaceful home is
threatened by a housing project and suburban sprawl, the Tanukis must band together to save their home.

Studio Ghibli, founded in 1985 by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, is the premiere animation studio in
Japan. Their films have become a beloved part of Japanese popular culture, in much the same way that
Walt Disney’s work has been embraced by Americans. Cultivating a creative force of many talented
directors, animators and storytellers under the revered brilliance of Miyazaki and Takahata, Studio Ghibli’s
films are praised for their originality, dazzling animation and epic storytelling. Walt Disney Home
Entertainment is proud to partner with Studio Ghibli to introduce these unique masterpieces to the North
American audience.

Cast:
English language: Jonathan Taylor Thomas (TV’s “Home Improvement”), Clancy Brown (“The Spongebob
SquarePants Movie”), J.K. Simmons (“Spider-Man,” TV’s “Law and Order”), Tress MacNeille (“The Lion
King 1 ½”), Olivia D’Abo (“Tarzan & Jane”), Maurice LaMarche (“Kim Possible: So The Drama”).
Original story by Isao Takahata. Written and directed by Isao Takahata.

DVD bonus features:
• 2-Disc DVD set
• Trailers and TV Spots
• Original Japanese Storyboards
• Original Japanese Language Audio Track

STREET DATE: AUGUST 16, 2005
Direct prebook: June 21
Distributor prebook: July 5
Suggested retail price: $29.99 (DVD)
Rated: "PG" for Violence, Scary Images and Thematic
Elements
Bonus materials not rated and subject to change.
Feature running time: Approximately 119 minutes
DVD aspect ratio: 1.85:1 enhanced for 16x9 TV screens
DVD Sound: Dolby® Digital 2.0 Surround
Language: English audio, Original Japanese audio
English subtitles
My Neighbors the Yamadas said:
Studio:
WALT DISNEY HOME ENTERTAINMENT/STUDIO GHIBLI

Story:
From the creators of the Academy Award®-winning “Spirited Away” (Best Animated Film, 2002),
the animated MY NEIGHBORS THE YAMADAS is a fun family film about the ups and downs
of life.

Studio Ghibli, founded in 1985 by Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, is the premiere animation
studio in Japan. Their films have become a beloved part of Japanese popular culture, in much the
same way that Walt Disney’s work has been embraced by Americans. Cultivating a creative force
of many talented directors, animators and storytellers under the revered brilliance of Miyazaki and
Takahata, Studio Ghibli’s films are praised for their originality, dazzling animation and epic
storytelling. Walt Disney Home Entertainment is proud to partner with Studio Ghibli to introduce
these unique masterpieces to the North American audience.

Cast:
English language: Jim Belushi (“Snow Dogs,” TV’s “According To Jim”), Molly Shannon (“The
Santa Clause 2”), Tress MacNeille (“The Lion King 1 ½”), Daryl Sabara (“The Polar Express,”
“Spy Kids”), Liliana Mumy (TV’s “Higglytown Heroes”), David Ogden Stiers (“Spirited Away,”
“Lilo and Stitch”).
Written and directed by Isao Takahata.

DVD bonus features:
• “Behind The Microphone”
• Trailers
• Original Japanese Storyboards
• Original Japanese Language Audio Track.

STREET DATE: AUGUST 16, 2005
Direct prebook: June 21
Distributor prebook: July 5
Suggested retail price: $29.99 (DVD)
Rated: “PG” For Mild Thematic Elements
Bonus materials not rated and subject to change.
Feature running time: Approximately 104 minutes
DVD aspect ratio: 1.85:1 enhanced for 16x9 TV screens
DVD Sound: Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Language: English audio, Original Japanese audio
English subtitles

I'm still trying to catch up on all of these, but I'm sure some of you will appreciate the heads-up.

Ferny84

Banned
pom_poko.jpg

WTF!

How can Disney release Pom Poko in the US uncut and get away with a PG rating? I hope they don't market it as a family film, or they could get in deep PR shit. Not that I think there would be any merit to such complaints, but we all know that the US is far more puritanical about the depiction of genitalia than Japan.

Fix

Banned
How in the world is DISNEY going to release Pom Poko? Never was there a movie with more nutsack.

Teddman said:
Whisper of the Heart, dammit!

Bingo.

Granted, I've seen most of the Ghibli lineup beforehand, but I'm not buying any ghibli release until Whisper of the Heart is at least gets a release date. Sheesh.

belgurdo

Banned
Fix said:
How in the world is DISNEY going to release Pom Poko? Never was there a movie with more nutsack.

They won't even release Song of the South outside of Europe and that's tame in terms of controversy-how does Tanuki get past them?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
belgurdo said:
They won't even release Song of the South outside of Europe and that's tame in terms of controversy-how does Tanuki get past them?
That's no longer true. Disney's planning an early 2006 (I believe) release of Song of the South now. It's on their slate, they're just going to make sure to have other features and stuff that put it in a historical context.

Waychel

Banned
They had mentions of these Ghibli films in the extras of Nausicaa's DVD; I'm glad we're finally going to get them here. I'm actually surprised that they are bringing over the Tanuki one, considering that I'd expect parents to complain about the "phallic" appearance of the raccoons. :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Zero said:
How many Miyazaki films are there in total?

MOVIES:

Lupin III: Caslte of Cagliostro (Before Ghibli)
Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind
My Neighbor Tororo
Laputa: Caslte in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Roso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle

TV & Other:

Lupin III TV Series I & II
Future Boy Conan
Sherlock Hound