• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia Arcade Location Test Impressions

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
As some of you probably know, the location tests for the new Dissidia game have started today in Akihabara, Nagoya etc.

Location test:
The test itself started at 10 am, but I arrived at the designated game center (Hey! in Akiba) an hour later, because I've been told that the place usually has a regular queue system without any reservation tickets and that I should be fine on a weekday.

For anyone interested in trying today or in the following days - there actually is a reservation ticket system in place and one group of 6 people takes about 15 minutes, because everyone plays 2 matches. They also stopped giving out the tickets at around 2 pm and told everyone who came later to come again at 6 pm, where the whole thing changes to a first come, first served system.

As for the goodies, there were free instruction booklets (I took pictures of the whole thing) available to everyone who wanted them and after playing and completing a survey everyone got a sticker for a game center card:
Nv7WMO7.jpg
Since the booklet was free etc. I hope it doesn't fall under the gaf "no scans" policy.

Impressions from the game:
As everyone interested knows, the playable characters in the location test are: Warrior of Light, Onion Knight, Terra/Tina, Cloud, Lightning and Y'shtola.
According to the booklet/menu screen, the full game will have a solo mode where you party up with random people, a party mode, where you join as a premade team and a mission mode, where you're assisted by 2 CPU players.

In the test only the 'location test' mode for 2 "premade" teams of human players was available.
I played as Cloud (got 2nd place) and Y'shotla (got 1st place, but I didn't know what I was doing). The whole thing plays like Dissidia with a few changes here and there.
You can watch the tutorial video from the other thread to get the gist of it.

Before the fight the players were able to select one of the 2 preset sets of skills for the characters, which I'm guessing will be customizable in the full version.

The action could get really chaotic, especially when 2 enemy players team up on you and you're playing a caster who has to gain distance to be the most effective. The UI is busy and sometimes can get confusing, but since many people are complaining about that, it'll probably be tweaked in the final version.

Cloud felt really fun to play, since Meteorain is as op as it was before against people who are new to the game (big damage/distance). I didn't like the wind-up time for regular attacks, but I guess that's what dissidia is all about. It can get a bit frustrating when you get hit just because you were doing some weird flips just to do a sword slash.

Y'shotla wasn't as fun to play, mainly because the charge time of her spells was a bit too long in tight spaces.

Summons happened in both fights, and I was on both the giving and the receiving end, although being hit with it felt just like receiving some random damage. At least the stage changes looked really cool!

Controls felt good, although I caught myself double jumping while trying to dash (Gundam Extreme Versus says hello). As shown in the screenshots and videos, it was basically a weirdly shaped dual shock controller split in two, with a summoning crystal in the middle.

TL;DR:
The game is fun, please be excited.

Feel free to ask questions, although I've only played it for 15 minutes, so I don't know how many of them I'll be able to answer.
I hope some other gaffers also try the game in the following weeks and share their impressions as well.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't have any questions right now, but that's probably because I'm very tired and about to go to sleep. I'm sure I'll have some in the morning, haha.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your impressions! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I'm happy to hear my boy Cloud's still solid.

SougoXIII

If you've played DDFF before, how does it feels when comparing to the arcade version?

All of the modes (solo, party, mission) are for the arcade release right and not console?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If you've played DDFF before, how does it feels when comparing to the arcade version?

All of the modes (solo, party, mission) are for the arcade release right and not console?
Hm, hard to say, because I played duodecim a few years ago, but it feels that the stages themselves have less gimmicks like rails etc. and the gameplay might be more skill based. 3 player teams make things really interesting, because you can gang up on someone and get KOs that way.
I feel that because of the limited dash (there's a bar) the game feels a bit slower, but again, I haven't played duodecim in a few years, so...

The 3 modes are indeed for the arcade release.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Walked by Hey but lineup was fukkn sickening so didn't bother. Should have stalked Hasemo.

Also like half the line was female for some reason lol.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is it still the same cookie cutter rock paper scissors brave and hp attack system? Or did it get a revamp since more characters are on the field?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Walked by Hey but lineup was fukkn sickening so didn't bother. Should have stalked Hasemo.

Also like half the line was female for some reason lol.
If you walked around there before 4 pm, that wasn't even the actual line, just the few people waiting for their turn.
I spent a total of maybe 20-30 minutes of those 5 hours on those damn stairs, but you should've waited and say hi anyway :(
Is it still the same cookie cutter rock paper scissors brave and hp attack system? Or did it get a revamp since more characters are on the field?
Yeah, the brave/hp attack system is still there.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How do the Ex Modes work now exactly? They look like they're basically buffs now...
From what I've seen it seems that they are buffs (like Protect) and debuffs (like Bioga). You can equip up to 3 and they have cooldown timers.
Can you still dodge/jump an infinite amount of times, or are you limited to one air dodge?
As for jumping, the game only had double jump iirc. Sadly I was trying to attack to hard to actually use the L1 or whatever it was to dodge.

Cedric

As for jumping, the game only had double jump iirc. Sadly I was trying to attack to hard to actually use the L1 or whatever it was to dodge.

Alright, thanks for the reply! I hope it's cut, Dissidia needs to focus more on the ground game.

PulseONE

From what I've seen it seems that they are buffs (like Protect) and debuffs (like Bioga). You can equip up to 3 and they have cooldown timers.

Cooldowns? Interesting, so it's not a bar to fill anymore...

PulseONE

Sooo another question, I saw that in the Midgar stage, meteor started descending near the end, does that mean stage hazards are still in?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sooo another question, I saw that in the Midgar stage, meteor started descending near the end, does that mean stage hazards are still in?
Sorry, I have no idea - I was to busy trying to survive during the second match which happened on the Midgar stage to pay attention to the surroundings. The enemy team also used Ifrit near the end, so the whole stage was engulfed in flames anyway.

Edit:
Oh snap, the Akihabara game center put out Ehrgeiz machine for the occasion. I wish I noticed that!

Game sounds good. I think my only concern is: Does it happen often that you're trying to attack someone and then you get attacked from offscreen? Or is there enough information for you to keep track of everyone?

Ezalc

Not choosing WoL, c'mon OP.

Anyway, the 3v3 thing sounds awful. Hopefully there's a 1v1 mode like the psp games.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Game sounds good. I think my only concern is: Does it happen often that you're trying to attack someone and then you get attacked from offscreen? Or is there enough information for you to keep track of everyone?
Well, there are those lines between characters showing who's targeting whom and the only way to attack a character whom you aren't targeting is to use aoe skills. Theoretically someone could switch to you a second before attacking, in which case you wouldn't know about it until the very last moment, but I doubt that'll happen often.
Not choosing WoL, c'mon OP.

Anyway, the 3v3 thing sounds awful. Hopefully there's a 1v1 mode like the psp games.
Sorry, despite clearing FF1 fairly recently, I really don't like him (and yet I got his card sticker, sigh...).

Theoretically nothing stops them from introducing a 1v1 mode in the console version. Doubt it'll happen for arcades, since 2v2 is working so well for Gundam Vs.

Well, there are those lines between characters showing who's targeting whom and the only way to attack a character whom you aren't targeting is to use aoe skills. Theoretically someone could switch to you a second before attacking, in which case you wouldn't know about it until the very last moment, but I doubt that'll happen often.

Hmm, yeah, I suppose that would only happen in very specific circumstances.

And does Cloud have any differences from the PSP games?

PulseONE

Sorry, I have no idea - I was to busy trying to survive during the second match which happened on the Midgar stage to pay attention to the surroundings. The enemy team also used Ifrit near the end, so the whole stage was engulfed in flames anyway.

Edit:
Oh snap, the Akihabara game center put out Ehrgeiz machine for the occasion. I wish I noticed that!

Aww too bad, but I hope they're in

Imagine the giant tornadoes ripping through the stage o.o

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hmm, yeah, I suppose that would only happen in very specific circumstances.

And does Cloud have any differences from the PSP games?
Cloud's movelist in the test was as follows:
Brave attacks
- Sonic Break
- Climhazzard
- Blade Beam
- Slash Blow
- Braver
- Finishing Touch
- Spin Drive

HP attacks
- Cross Slash
- Meteo Rain

Ex Skills (triangle) are shared between characters.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does the game give you a bit of a Gundam Extreme Vs feel? It always looks like that to me in videos.
A bit, but mostly because of the switch from 1v1 to 3v3. The gameplay feels similar to the PSP games, but you have to remember to play it like a team fighter.

AZUMIKE

The Block/Blockstun and Dodge mechanics were HUGE in past Dissidias.

For those who played the loc test...what did you do defend/avoid attacks?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The Block/Blockstun and Dodge mechanics were HUGE in past Dissidias.

For those who played the loc test...what did you do defend/avoid attacks?
There was a dedicated defend button which blocked brave attacks (but could only stop so many hits before breaking and leaving you stunned for a second).
I jumped over/side dodged most attacks.

Cloud's movelist in the test was as follows:
Brave attacks
- Sonic Break
- Climhazzard
- Blade Beam
- Slash Blow
- Braver
- Finishing Touch
- Spin Drive

HP attacks
- Cross Slash
- Meteo Rain

Ex Skills (triangle) are shared between characters.
That's a good variety I guess. The amount of HP attacks is something I'm still not sure I get (specially since only 1 is equipped at a time).

There was a dedicated defend button which blocked brave attacks (but could only stop so many hits before breaking and leaving you stunned for a second).
and the dodge still works like in the PSP games? Air dodges too?

-Ryn

Banned
Were moves like Finishing Touch different than their PSP iterations? To clarify, in the PSP version Finishing Touch had you spinning up into the air and delivering a blow.

So is the block no longer timing based?

Thanks again for answering the questions :)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's a good variety I guess. The amount of HP attacks is something I'm still not sure I get (specially since only 1 is equipped at a time).

and the dodge still works like in the PSP games? Air dodges too?
I believe that dodges work the same/almost the same, but like I said before, I don't remember duodecim all that well.
Were moves like Finishing Touch different than their PSP iterations? To clarify, in the PSP version Finishing Touch had you spinning up into the air and delivering a blow.

Attacks still had their limit breaks animations, for example doing some sword shenanigans before calling the meteors etc.
I don't think that there was a perfect block mechanic, but don't quote me on this!

-Ryn

Banned
Attacks still had their limit breaks animations, for example doing some sword shenanigans before calling the meteors etc.
I don't think that there was a perfect block mechanic, but don't quote me on this!
Good to know attacks still have some cool flare then.

Interesting to hear about the (potential) lack of a perfect block. Sounds like Smash Bros.

Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing. Shame this will pretty much be only in Japan and from what I've seen, there's no plans to release a home version until at least a year after arcade release.

Enjoyed both Dissidia games on PSP and was hoping for more, though seems like that will be some time.

Ezalc

Sorry, despite clearing FF1 fairly recently, I really don't like him (and yet I got his card sticker, sigh...).

Theoretically nothing stops them from introducing a 1v1 mode in the console version. Doubt it'll happen for arcades, since 2v2 is working so well for Gundam Vs.

Breh, c'mon, you like emo mcwhinyface but not the bastion of righteousness? c'mon breh.

Just messing with ya, though I do hate cloud.

Yeah I suppose so, but given that it's SE I think it could go either way really.

PulseONE

I saw Finishing Touch in the gameplay, it seems to just create tornadoes that move forward this time around, so yeah it seems to be very different

Top Bottom