• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diving website reveals new info about Forever Blue (Wii)

NSider

The following is offered by the Daily Colonial Arts Columnist, Matthew Lubin. He refers to a fascinating game developed for a new system from Nintendo entitled Wii. This particular game caught Lubin's eye and certainly would have caught the eye of this Dive News Editor who has an enthusiasm for the ocean, its creatures, and diving among them. Titled Forever Blue, it is to be published by Nintendo and developed by Arika...

The following is from Matthew Lubin's column:

"Information about this title is scarce at this point, but here is what we do know: It’s a SCUBA diving game. That’s right, the point of the game is to go diving and explore the world underneath the ocean. You will use the motion control of the Wii Remote to manipulate your character and perform many different diving maneuvers, and you can meet up with both friends and strangers over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to explore the seas together."

"To me this idea just stands out as one full of possibilities. With so little information available, one can just speculate as to what fun and relaxing new games could be developed by the players in this expansive environment. Who can photograph the most fish within a time limit? Who can swim across the Marianas Trench first? Who can find a Blue Whale first? The possibilities are endless, and while they might sound mundane, or even boring, to me they hold a certain curious appeal.

Yes, Wii will have its fair share of games where you shoot and kill, where you battle and those will all be made better by the innovative Wii Remote and by Nintendo’s focus on community. But what I look most forward to on the Wii are games that are different from anything we have ever seen before!"

Forver Blue sounds just right for those times in between dive trips! To learn more, read the full story at: Communicating with the Wii

I'm not so sure about the source, but an MMO diving game? Sounds interesting..
and kind of boring.

edit: Forgot to post the actual source, lol. Creepy looking website BTW:
http://www.divenews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4933

HomShaBom

Banned
I want to see these-
blue1.gif

oddigy

Vark said:
Y'all know about Everblue right?

I was just about to say...

Has nobody here ever played Everblue 2 (NTSC) for PS2?

Wow, if this is part of the Everblue series, I'm going to love it.

It is! It's by Arika! YES! *jumps up and down*

Nicktals

Banned
oddigy said:
I was just about to say...

Has nobody here ever played Everblue 2 (NTSC) for PS2?

Wow, if this is part of the Everblue series, I'm going to love it.

It is! It's by Arika! YES! *jumps up and down*

Can you explain it a little bit for those who aren't familiar?

I just recently started diving, and fell in love with it, so I'm fairly interested in this game.

Vark

Nicktals said:

I just recently started diving, and fell in love with it, so I'm fairly interested in this game.

Everblue 2 is basically a SCUBA diving RPG.

You're ship gets wrecked and you're on this island (populated). and you basically have ot raise money to fix your boat / buy new equipment (more air, etc).

You basically swim around underwater, pinging sonar to find salvage to collect and sell and eventually you get a camera and have to take pictures of certain things.

Hope they can keep the game remote-only. It might be something with a fair potential for casual buyers/players that way, who'd just want to swim around and explore in "this nice game." Add the nunchuk into the equation and suddenly things are more difficult for them to keep track of, and the game becomes a more active one.

The quick movie looked great. Anything that takes place underwater and allows you to freely explore gets a thumbs up in my book.

oddigy

Vark said:
Everblue 2 is basically a SCUBA diving RPG.

You're ship gets wrecked and you're on this island (populated). and you basically have ot raise money to fix your boat / buy new equipment (more air, etc).

You basically swim around underwater, pinging sonar to find salvage to collect and sell and eventually you get a camera and have to take pictures of certain things.

Yes... and oh god, there are SHARKS.

The sharks will chase you around, while the appropriate bass-heavy string music plays :lol . Aside from running out of air and being poisoned, sharks are some of the only things that will deplete your hit points in a hurry.

Everblue 2 gave me the biggest adrenaline rush of any game I've played ever... you're constantly racing against the clock - trying to get down into whatever dive site you're supposed to go to, get the relic you need, and get out before you run out of air. It's worth mentioning that you have only a certain sized bag (you can upgrade all of this stuff later) so you can't haul up really huge items in the beginning, like chests of drawers... if you go over your weight limit, your hp starts to deplete.

If anyone has a collecting fetish (there are certain people on land who want you to collect certain types of things for them... they give you cash rewards based on it - there's even an auction house where you can sometimes find better gear and other rarities), give Everblue 2 a try. It should be at your local game store's bargain bin, if you can find it anywhere. :)

Also, its prequel, Everblue, was released only in Europe and Japan. It's the same engine, just a different story (same characters, too!)

If you want to check out Everblue 2, I suggest you snag a copy now... if Forever Blue is successful in the USA, this already scarce game will probably skyrocket in price.

I continue to be surprised that this awesome game was overlooked.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nicktals said:

Everblue 2 is, in my opinion, deeply flawed to it's core. It's a fantastic concept, a diving RPG. I really wanted to like it.

However, the diving parts, which consist of 90% of the game, are just terrible. It's first person, and you are stuck on a plane. You can't dive up or down, you're just always a set distance above the seafloor. The gameplay consists off scooting along on this one plane, while tapping a sonar button to see if anything is around you. If you get a sonar hit on something the act of actually finding it is nothing more than bashing on the X button until magically the object appears in a popup window. There's no indication whatsoever of the object actually existing on the seabed- it's just seabed texture and 3D coral everywhere. Not even a generic 3D object to denote it's location.

Eventually you find shipwrecks, and in these you can swim in all directions. However, the controls are so horrible and hard to use that navigating inside the ship is just pure frustration.

I really hope this game is good. Given how bad Everblue 2 was I don't have high hopes.

Matt

Hahaha

They are referencing MY article. And trust me; I don’t know anything you guys don’t. All the info I included in the article is old news.

jgkspsx

I went ahead and ordered Everblue 2 from Amazon; I hope I like the controls better than you.

As "goalless" as Aquanaut's Holiday (PS1) was, I reallllly loved it. Hopefully Forever Blue is more about exploration and observation and less about fetch quests.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Matt said:
Hahaha

They are referencing MY article. And trust me; I don’t know anything you guys don’t. All the info I included in the article is old news.

Were did they get the info on the Wifi then?

I really enjoyed Everblue 2, it's so tense at times but an also be very relaxing. The atmoshpere is incredible, it does a great job of immersing you into the game. There are aspects of the game that are mediocre but everyone should take a dive in the wrecks.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Someone posted a really comprehensive Everblue 2 review a little while ago and it sounds exactly the same as Forever Blue. I am extremely intrigued.

Top Bottom