• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Ubisoft eventually will return to Steam?

Gamezone

Gold Member
After Ubisoft left Steam, EA and Microsoft came back with huge success. Microsoft have been especially successful. Even Sea of Thieves sold more than a million copies within a short time, despite being years old, and basically free on Gamepass.

Despite Epic still paying for exclusivity, Steam has everything going their way.

Do you think Ubisoft will come back after this? It doesn't even look like Ubisoft bringing their titles to Steam after a year like the rest of the publishers.

Holammer

The Division 2 released March 2019, so it's been EGS exclusive for well over a year now.
I think they're gonna stay exclusive as people rejecting Epic will just buy directly from them on Uplay. Getting paid to [potentially] bolster your own platform? That's a win-win.
If they return, it's going to be because they hemorrhage sales and nothing else. Like EA did. While on the subject, I wonder how Activision's COD is working out for them on the Blizzard launcher.

TaySan

Banned
I was disappointed Assassin's Creed Vahala wasn't on Steam when I checked today to buy the Gold edition for my b-day present. Went and bought it on Epic since I don't want it on Uplay. Hopefully, they will come back again like EA.

CitizenX

Banned
Their latest earnings, they like everyone else are benefiting from everyone being locked in their house due to a flu or under siege from thugs.

UBISOFT® REPORTS FIRST-QUARTER 2020-21 SALES Record first quarter with significantly higher-than expected performance led by the depth of the Group’s catalog, quality of its Live services and historically high engagement levels ▪ Record net bookings of €410.0 million, far exceeding the Group’s target of around €335.0 million In €m Q1 2020-21 Reported change vs. Q1 2019-20 % of total net bookings Q1 2020-21 Q1 2019-20 IFRS 15 sales 427.3 +17.6% N/A N/A Net bookings 410.0 +30.5% N/A N/A Digital net bookings 355.4 +21.5% 86.7% 93.1% PRI net bookings 198.5 +32.1% 48.4% 47.8% Back-catalog net bookings 398.2 +46.1% 97.1% 86.7% ▪ Record-high levels of engagement and number of players over a quarter ▪ Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege: - Very sharp increase in engagement - Net bookings up by more than 30% year-on-year ▪ Assassin’s Creed®: - A more-than 60% year-on-year increase in the franchise’s net bookings ▪ Just Dance®: - Growth of over 500% in the franchise’s net bookings year-on-year ▪ Hyper ScapeTM: - Top position on Twitch on the PC Technical Test launch date ▪ Powerful impact of the Ubisoft Forward event: - Record-high peak concurrent views (CCV) surpassing our previous E3 conferences ▪ Targets for full-year 2020-21 confirmed

moniker

I was disappointed Assassin's Creed Vahala wasn't on Steam when I checked today to buy the Gold edition for my b-day present. Went and bought it on Epic since I don't want it on Uplay. Hopefully, they will come back again like EA.

I'm pretty sure you still have to activate it on uplay (and have uplay installed to be able to play it).

Kadayi

Banned

Pretty sure you'll have to install Uplay to run it Taysan. Just like any Ubi game on Steam.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Why not buy games on their store ? You will use it anyway.

Steams QoL features, of which Uplay has almost none.

I remember buying WatchDogs II via GMG and then realising it was a Uplay key and instantly regretting it because, no screenshot or cloud based gallery upload.

Every-time I see it on sale on Steam I think maybe, but then albeit I enjoyed the game....I'm not replaying it .

Do you think Ubisoft will come back after this? It doesn't even look like Ubisoft bringing their titles to Steam after a year like the rest of the publishers.

It would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think much like EA they need a couple of bad quarters before they change their tune.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I hope EGS get's a web browser soon like Steam.

Lets see : -

tenor.gif

I'm not expecting Ubi on Steam anytime soon. Whether it's in the Epic contract or they just want to cut off Steam completely, their new games are permanent exclusives rather than just timed like most developers. Maybe they will come back if they work out a deal with Valve like EA did but I wouldn't count on it.

Esca

happy birthday

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm not expecting Ubi on Steam anytime soon. Whether it's in the Epic contract or they just want to cut off Steam completely, their new games are permanent exclusives rather than just timed like most developers. Maybe they will come back if they work out a deal with Valve like EA did but I wouldn't count on it.

We don't know if EA have any special deal with Valve or not though. But I wonder how long Epic can keep grabbing exclusives and build their store before Valve have to lower their cut. If Epic gain enough popularity, publishers might just go for the 88% deal without being bought by Epic.

Kadayi

Banned
We don't know if EA have any special deal with Valve or not though. But I wonder how long Epic can keep grabbing exclusives and build their store before Valve have to lower their cut. If Epic gain enough popularity, publishers might just go for the 88% deal without being bought by Epic.

Well Valve did change their fee structure a while back (as you well know), however I think they could go a little deeper and benefit the smaller indies in the process (maybe starting at 25% down to 18%). I don't think there's any way that they could meet Epic though, in large part because Steam is doing a lot more under the hood than EGS is doing, coupled with a vast array of more features both for developers as well as players. I posted this in the Hitman III EGS exclusive thread but I think it's worth dropping in here as well. Albeit it's a decent talk overall, being from 2019 a lot of the stuff they talk about in the early parts has now been realised in Steam so can be passed over. For me the really interesting stuff is from the last couple of speakers starting around the 23 minute mark where they get into infrastructure and emerging markets. Valve are very customer driven from both ends and it's very apparent that their focus is on platform stability and building a consistent experience on a global level regardless of where you as the player may be. I think at the end of the day, that's the big difference between Valve at Epic, Valve care about the experience for everyone, where as Epic not so much. The abject failure to launch EGS with any notable QoL features is pretty telling in that regard, as is their continued glacial efforts to bring any even a year plus on.

Frankly it kind of blows my mind that EA, Ubisoft, Epic and even GOG (though the latter has made strides of late) can't seem to fathom that if you want truly beat Steam at their own game , you've got to look at what they do for players from the QoL perspective and build on it, versus half ass it as they all have, if you actively want people to come to your store and stick around. I know some people are all 'free games!!!' but they're generally young or new to PC gaming and not burdened with a large backlog of games already. Personally if it's not either played, in my backlog, or on my wishlist for sales notifications, it was never a game I had much interest in playing in the first place.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
I await their arrival. Tbh I always buy their games from a site with discounts for preorders so it's usually a Uplay code. Idc either way.

Holammer

Just a teeny necro on this thread. It hardly even smells, so why not?
There's currently a 'Ubisoft Celebration' sale on Steam where they sell a crap-ton copies of RS: Siege, doesn't mean anything at all really, but I found it amusing they put in the work to make a pretty decent background picture for the sale.
It only depicts games currently on Steam, so no nods to Ass Creek Valhalla. Which would have been an actual Ubi returning confirmed tease.

940cf9bff3e3aecef04de79b856a14a73df1487d.jpg

Top Bottom