• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we'll see more AAA Monster Hunter style games?

PulseONE

With the huge success of Monster Hunter World, even in the West this time, do you guys think we'll see more AAA games in that style?

I know we've seen games use parts of it over the years, Horizon Zero Dawn being a recent example, but we've not seen many AAA studios go all the way (to my knowledge).

I certainly wouldn't mind it

Ostrava04

there's been a couple of clones in the past. Namco's Gods Eater and Temco's Toukiden series, both didn't do too well.

Last edited:

PulseONE

there's been a couple of clones in the past. Namco's Gods Eater and Temco's Toukiden series, both didn't do too well.

Certainly, I've played both (especially liked God Eater), but I wouldn't consider either to be a AAA game in the same way World is

Geki-D

Banned
Sony needs to get a home console, open world or semi open world version of Soul Sacrifice out.

Bryank75

Banned
Yes, definitely. Other studios are going to catch on ... even if it's just one or two. I also think we will se another Ueda game revealed in the next year or so.

Malio

There have been attempts in the past, and all have fallen far short. Toukiden, God Eater, Ragnarok Odyssey. All pale in comparison.

Dauntless, on PC, is the only one I see being even close to MH quality.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Deep Down would be nice to have, especially if it's what the footage has shown off. But it's great that World is selling real well. It's not like there hasn't been Monster Hunter games, but making the game look good and easier to get into helps everyone enjoy it a lot more.

I want to see Deep Down do well. Whenever that is scheduled for release.

There's games like Ark and Rust that appeal to those who want open world. But it's not like I'm rushing to play those games. Sure they aren't God Eater or Monster Hunter, but if people wanted these games so badly they would have sold way more by now.

Monster Hunter World is doing great, but I don't see that many companies beating Capcom's style. Capcom is where they are for a reason and it's a lot like the Souls games. Does everyone want to buy some other game with similar characteristics? That's great if the games don't require a lot of grinding.

I own MH3 and 4 and I haven't bought World. I was excited to buy 4 for 3DS, but it sat after 10 or so hours. :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom