• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOA4 = 60k, X360 = 10k, X360 total < 100k (in Japan)

duckroll

bigNman said:
lets face it the only way x360 will have any major success in Japan is if it gets final fantasy or dragon quest exclusive. And the chances of that are getting smaller and smaller.

No, it's a vicious cycle obviously. FF and DQ flagship titles will always be on the most popular console in the market at the time, they choose the console, not the other way round. If a console NEEDS a FF/DQ to become popular, then it's NEVER getting a FF/DQ. That's how the world works.

jett

D-Member
I guess some people will finally stop it with the "but but but microsoft still has a chance in Japan!" comments.

Dave Long

Banned
jett said:
I guess some people will finally stop it with the "but but but microsoft still has a chance in Japan!" comments.

Yeah, this is definitely a bonus outcome.

Also, the post above about boob physics makes a great point. Itagaki's slipping. He needs to do some research.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
quetz67 said:
It is not accurate, but roughly NA 40%, Europe 30%, Japan 20% and the rest of the world 10%.
Has it always been like this? Japan lost some interest in videogames this last decade, but I think they were a close second market in the early 90ies, weren't they?

quetz67

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
Ridge Racer 6, Kameo, PGR3, DOA4, e[M]chant Arm, and FFXI for its 1st wave in Japan is not bad for the 360...

Blue Dragon, NNN, W11 Soccer, Lost Oddyssey, RE5, Live Arcade, etc. could be good attention grabbers as well. I think once the 360 has over 6 "good" games, then Japanese gamers will start to take notice, at least.
I think they noticed and they noticed it is a failure. Good games are helpful, but at least as important is if your friend got that console too and if it is cool to have one. Thats not the case. I think xbox sales are going to americans living in Japan and people who always get all consoles. Plus those who always want the latest version of DOA (+Volleyball).

Last Hope

If this is true, then the Xbox is done in Japan. DOA is the biggest Japanese franchise they have and it does not seem to be able to move many xboxes. I am starting to question if there will be an Xbox 3. Microsoft is greedy. They feel that if they can not have Japan, then it isn't worth it. The US and Europe is not enough for them.

quetz67

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Has it always been like this? Japan lost some interest in videogames this last decade, but I think they were a close second market in the early 90ies, weren't they?
yep, the japanese market was stronger once and the euopean market weaker.

360 has no chance in Japan, that is sealed.

It really comes down to M$'s arrogance IMHO.

Lackluster launch- Even though this is common, they knew they were fighting an uphill battle, shouldnt have pushed the worldwide launch and waited for more games to Japanese tastes

Lackluster Backwards compatibility- If you think the BC here sucks, look at the list for Japan.

Didn't change the name- this may sound miniscule but I think it plays an important part. Having the XBox name in there makes it stink of the original Xbox's failure. You could call this Disadvantageous mindshare.

Oh well, they will still do well in the states.

quetz67

Banned
Last Hope said:
If this is true, then the Xbox is done in Japan. DOA is the biggest Japanese franchise they have and it does not seem to be able to move many xboxes. I am starting to question if there will be an Xbox 3. Microsoft is greedy. They feel that if they can not have Japan, then it isn't worth it. The US and Europe is not enough for them.
be cautious...to doubt the existance of xbox 3 is a bannable offense here *g*

And I am not sure if Microsoft wont go through their 15 year plan whatever comes.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
open_mouth_ said:
Ridge Racer 6, Kameo, PGR3, DOA4, e[M]chant Arm, and FFXI for its 1st wave in Japan is not bad for the 360...

You've really bought in to this launch window bullshit... If I'm in Japan and I go to the store what can I buy right now. And of said games what about them appeals to me as a japanese gamer?

My question about that DOA4 # is... is it confirmed, and how many days of sales is it?

GhaleonEB

For the record, I did predict 360 sales would double last week with DOA4. :)

10k is bad. How does it compare to week 3 for XBox?

The lineup in Jan is not bad - I wonder if they can keep it from dropping any further.

ziran

bigNman said:
lets face it the only way x360 will have any major success in Japan is if it gets final fantasy or dragon quest exclusive. And the chances of that are getting smaller and smaller.
japanese gamers just aren't taking risks anymore and many of the games that are selling are facing a decline in popularity. so even though 360 is getting some great japanese exclusives from big names they are new and imo this is going to be a huge problem.

for 360 to be a success in japan gamers have to risk buying an expensive new console where the previous version sold poorly and then take another risk on buying unknown new franchises. i think it's a lot to ask.

quetz67

Banned
StephaneC said:
Famitsu

Enchant Arm 29/40
DOA 4 39/40
I think MS (or Peter Moore) is lying to himself hoping for Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey to save the360.

I do not doubt the games will be great and maybe move some units. But by the time they are released there a probably 2 dozen great japanese RPGs available for the PS3.

jedimike

GhaleonEB said:

The lineup in Jan is not bad - I wonder if they can keep it from dropping any further.

Well, there was only about 1600 sold the week prior, so your prediction was correct.

Last Hope

GhaleonEB said:

From what I have seen, the 360 sold about 9k units the previous week. If my calculations are correct, the then Xbox 360 has only sold about 75k units in Japan so far. Looks like most people who bought an Xbox at launch only bought it because of their anticipation of DOA.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
DarienA said:
You've really bought in to this launch window bullshit... If I'm in Japan and I go to the store what can I buy right now. And of said games what about them appeals to me as a japanese gamer?

My question about that DOA4 # is... is it confirmed, and how many days of sales is it?

Not really. I'm of the school of thought that believes that even if a product doesn't burn up the sales chart when it's initially released, it still has a chance of selling better down the road. I'm not surprised at the low sales so far, but I would be surprised if things didn't improve for the 360 in Japan.

qirex

quetz67 said:

And I am not sure if Microsoft wont go through their 15 year plan whatever comes.
Well at some point Microsoft's shareholders aren't going to put up with them just dumping money into the Xbox hole, at $4 billion and counting losses on the whole project the pressure is on this time. Ballmer has promised that the 360 will be profitable by FY2007 and that it'll stay profitable. If they miss that target they'll be under a lot of pressure.

Dracos

It's done. There are absolutely no games that will save it in Japan. Any JP develpoer momentum that the 360 had going into launch is dead as of a couple of weeks ago. The DOA4 thing just solidifies it. The support wont stop as long as it does well elsewhere, but the steam is definately being let out now.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
skyfinch said:
One word. NAMCO. A few more. Frame City Killer.

This reminds me, what was the conclusion of that big ass FCK thread with those ugly shots?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
quetz67 said:

Ok Who's joke character is this? fess up guys. Drinky?

vitaflo

I suppose now we know why the tie ratio on launch was less than 1. Everyone bought it for DOA4, and it would explain the low console sales for the week.

At ~10k for the week the 360 should be at about ~70k in Japan.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Dracos said:
It's done. There are absolutely no games that will save it in Japan. Any JP develpoer momentum that the 360 had going into launch is dead as of a couple of weeks ago. The DOA4 thing just solidifies it. The support wont stop as long as it does well elsewhere, but the steam is definately being let out now.

Microsoft probably needs to buy some AAA japanese exclusives (which is easier said than done) if they want to make real inroads there. Unless a company is in dire financial conditions, though, I just don't see their developers working hard on making killer 360 games for Microsoft. If Microsoft could pull out a "Capcom 5" out of its ass (like Nintendo did with GC), then things could be interesting.

MS doesn't understand the Japanese market. The fact that they would even consider launching a game like Call of Duty in Japan of all places shows their ignorance. To make matters worse, they even had PD0 as a premier Japanese launch title. Huh?

People have made a lot of noise about the Japanese 360 games, saying that once they come out the 360 will become more popular. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe that. 99 Nights is just a prettier Dynasty Warriors; it's nothing new, and I doubt you'll see gamers go crazy over it when they can just wait for the inevitable PS3 version(s). Same with Enchanted Arms. The PS2 alone will have more than enough big RPGs to convince Japan to wait. Remember, FFXII isn't out yet.

Blue Dragon is the only title that I think could convince Japan otherwise on the 360. But to tell the truth, more likely the game will criminally underpreform, and Japan will be too busy going crazy over the PS3 (which will be out by then).

AirBrian

open_mouth_ said:
Microsoft probably needs to buy some AAA japanese exclusives (which is easier said than done) if they want to make real inroads there. Unless a company is in dire financial conditions, though, I just don't see their developers working hard on making killer 360 games for Microsoft. If Microsoft could pull out a "Capcom 5" out of its ass (like Nintendo did with GC), then things could be interesting.
Because we all know how that worked out for GC. :p

NWO

I don't get why this 360 failing in Japan is so unexpected. The original Xbox was one of the biggest video game failures in Japan. Didn't the Virtual Boy outsell it? And people expected the sequel to do better? If some movie sucked ass you wouldn't go see the sequel no matter how much they improved it because the original was total crap. The same case is happening here. The first console was a waste of money so nobody is going to spend MORE money on the 360.

Now the interesting thing is if all of these "Japanese" type exclusive games will stay exclusive to the 360 because Team Ninja was hurt last gen because they had hits on their hands but nobody owned an Xbox. They really couldn't make the games on the PS2 because it wasn't powerful enough but this time around the 360 isn't going to have the graphical advantage. I can see DOA/Ninja Gaiden/etc coming out on systems other than the 360 in Japan because they would easily sell millions.

And finally I said that it was a waste by MS to do a worldwide launch in Japan because they would be wasting units and people on this board were in denial and look what has happened now. They could be using these systems in America/Europe to actually build a lead over the Revolution and PS3 but they blew it.

Amir0x

Banned
open_mouth_ said:

Blue Dragon, NNN, W11 Soccer, Lost Oddyssey, RE5, Live Arcade, etc. could be good attention grabbers as well. I think once the 360 has over 6 "good" games, then Japanese gamers will start to take notice, at least.

RE5 isn't going to do anything, it's coming to PS3 as well so that's a pretty moot game to use as a benefit for 360 in that territory.

Anyway, with DoA4 not burning the way forward for Xbox 360... things now begin to seriously look grim indeed. These sorts of things now, we're gonna keep saying "Well Blue Dragon might change things" or "Lost Odyssey might make the outcome nicer", but it genuinely just seems like Microsoft did everything it could to squander its Japanese launch. And skeptical Japanese gamers were just then justified in shrugging the system off. Japanese aren't gonna buy into some unproven franchises simply because it has some decent names behind it. They'd only do that if they were on a system that has franchises that were proven to them. They really have no one to blame but themselves. I don't want to say the game is over - market is crazy sometimes - but I can't really think of too many good things right now.

That's my take anyway, but, I don't think it matters in the end. Obviously, Japan is never gonna be Microsoft's strongest territory. It's important to watch trends in US and EU, and then the overall picture will be more interesting depending on how the markets split between PS3, Rev and 360. Could still end up pretty flush worldwide.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
MS has fucked up this whole launch, let alone just japan.

DOA4 has limited appeal as proven by PREVIOUS versions on the xbox. DOA is not a major system seller over there, why do people keep insisting it is?

RR6 is wanted by the japanese people, but again it is not a system seller, especially when it is the only game for a $400 system.

MS needed more games out there that the japanese wanted. they didn't give it to them. now they have set a starting tone for the generation and they are going to pay.

what could ms have done? launch with a new square/enix rpg, a new namco/sega fighter, a couple non-games, a rythm game or two, etc.there are many other better games that they could have launched with. but as always with MS, the east is a token afterthought. They deserve their failure over their, and I own a 360. If you aren't even willing to make a serious attempt in the market you deserve to lose in it.

Yamaha98

Lets see, DOA4 seems to NOT be making substantial grounds for the 360 in JP. Now, xbots are saying to wait for mistwakers titles- which seem to be close to release date as the next new consoles. By then, they will say that PS3 has been released to affect sales or come up w/ another upcoming, exclusive title to monger 360's true revivle in JP.

Wonder how long (another 6mo maybe?) until it becomes truly evident that the x360 has flopped in JP? More importantly, I wonder how many developers or company stockholders are already starting to think twice about making titles for microsofts new console.

Kuroyume

Banned
Isn't the 360 much cheaper in japan though? You can get the non retard pack for just a little over $300 I think.

Jonnyram

Pinning hopes on DOA4 is incredibly foolish considering the game has been MS-exclusive for so long. DOA3 struggled to pass 100k in Japan, and with a game that is not much of a graphical improvement (sorry Bebpo), it's not hard to see why it hasn't taken off. I'm more worried about the piss poor sales of Ridge Racer, personally. I think FFXI, Kameo, N3, [eM] will keep things ticking until the big guns from Sakaguchi arrive. I still think it's early to write it off, though. It launched at a crazy time with pretty much nothing to appeal to Japan... except Ridge :/

The Nintendo sales are astonishing. Shinobi says the new Brain Training game sold more than Animal Crossing did in its first week. All the other top Nintendo software sold around 100k each and Nintendo games sold more than 1.4 million in the week.

Izzy

Banned
I'm not the biggest Xbox fan, but X360 deserves to sell more. Blimey, at this rate the console might not catch up with the original Xbox's first week in Japan - horrible.

Geoff9920

Everyone's blowing this waaaay out of proportion and giving DOA 4 way too much credit. It's way too early for anyone to shout out "MS am doom3d". Especially considering how many yet to be announced games are currently being made.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dr_Cogent said:
How large of a market is Japan anyhow compared to NA?

It differs. Sony has sold close to or about 20 million PS2's in Japan, while Nintendo has stuggled to get to 20 million units sold world-wide and Xbox is a little past that so...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Geoff9920 said:
Everyone's blowing this waaaay out of proportion and giving DOA 4 way too much credit. It's way too early for anyone to shout out "MS am doom3d". Especially considering how many yet to be announced games are currently being made.

it may not be doomed yet but uh, things arent lookin great.

Jonnyram said:
I'm more worried about the piss poor sales of Ridge Racer, personally.

I don't know why. You take a series that thrived on being on a big fanbase in Japan, put it on a system that it seems alot of Japanese gamers don't care about and you get those results. The only thing amazing is that NAMCO thought it had even the slightest chance of selling 500k on the 360 in Japan.

CloudNL

Geoff9920 said:

Uh, the X360 is just a big failure in Japan. If big francises as Ridge Racer and DOA4 cannot lead to bigger sales, then you're doomed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Izzy said:
I'm not the biggest Xbox fan, but X360 deserves to sell more. Blimey, at this rate the console might not catch up with the original Xbox's first week in Japan - horrible.
I disagree. it doesn't deserve shit in japan. that is why I am so hard here. MS fucked up on giving the Japanese games they cared about. MS DESERVES its poor sales. If they can turn it around, good for them. But right now the japanese are like an afterthought to them.

"Gee, let's throw them a Toriyama derived RPG and all should be better"

even konamis and capcoms outputs are mainly western on the console. MS should have put stuipulations on them that they had to release games with japanese appeal as well to get approval on games with primarily western appeal. something. anything.

Top Bottom