• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who |OT| Talkin' 'bout my Regeneration

Nymphae

Banned

I fell out of love with this series during it's modern revival, there's some good stuff there for sure though, I do enjoy Tennant's portrayal, but I dunno, it didn't draw me in like the old school stuff does.

But yeah, I thought this series was doing quite well, and all of a sudden it drops to the lowest viewership in 31 years? Is this another example of brokeness following wokeness?

Sunday's episode, "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror," was only watched by 4.04 million viewers in the UK.

We have to go way back to Season 23 of September, 1986 to see a lesser amount of viewers as "The Mysterious Planet" Part Four only had 3.7 million viewers tuning in.

Sunday's episode of Doctor Who is also the eighth least-watched episode of the entire run which kicked off in 1963, and the lowest watched of the new series.

The numbers for Doctor Who have gone down consistently with each new episode as the series has lost near one million viewers since the debut episode for Season 12 on New Year's Day. Reasons cited for the show's continued demise include bad writing, poor acting and it's "woke" approach.

1sl6nv.jpg

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Really good actress who has to work with trash by writers who don't really understand the material they're working with. Watched multiple videos on it and it's all down to the core writing staff don't respect the property. Sure there's diversity but all the characters are fucking trash. lmao.

Nymphae

Banned
I am really tired of this gif domain BS, not blaming you obviously DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi

A lot of times I don't even see that broken image icon, you'll just see blank posts where someone posted an gif from a problematic domain. I know this isn't just happening to me either, wish we could figure this out.

6hgw0fR.png

edit: reply, toggle bbcode, copy & paste link. Ah, good one lol

fGiksqi.png

Last edited:
Some issues that I had with the 13th Doctor is that she’s literally female David Tennant. Instead of going with something more original, they copied something old and slapped tits on it. Then they changed the sonic screwdriver to look like a dildo. Finally the SJW pandering was so unbearable that season. All in all, it was just not fun. Now they’re trying to say the doctor was originally female but somehow forgot that shit. Fuck off.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I am really tired of this gif domain BS, not blaming you obviously DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi

A lot of times I don't even see that broken image icon, you'll just see blank posts where someone posted an gif from a problematic domain. I know this isn't just happening to me either, wish we could figure this out.

6hgw0fR.png

edit: reply, toggle bbcode, copy & paste link. Ah, good one lol

fGiksqi.png
Should be fixed nao

#Phonepunk#

Banned
a shame. i used to watch Who all the time. dropped off sometime during the Capaldi run. none of the new stuff looked appealing so i didn't bother looking into it.

zeorhymer

Female doctor was never the problem. It was when the original writers left and got these dumb asses to write about rage bait and they don't even look at their mistakes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The new series is a pile of hot garbage so I'm not too surprised by this news. With the season opener I had a sliver of hope, but all is lost now - they lost me at the "OMG we teleported to Earth's future and we could have avoided this if everyone just recycled more" episode. Haven't even bothered to watch the Tesla one, because I don't want to see them bastardize one of my heroes on the alter of woke.

HoodWinked

i dont watch the show but i dont think this is actually correct.

considering all tv shows are down across the board if ratings are only down a little or stable then that's actually decent. Looking at season 10 before the gender change ratings were about the same as they are now. but season 11 did premiere pretty high at 11m.

season 10:
MMSrRzO.png

Season 12:
tV8OD8p.png

Last edited:
The female part ain't the problem.....it's the shitty writing and the stories just are not interesting anymore.....i stopped watching regularly towards the end of the Matt Smith but tuned in now and again to see if it changed at all..but nope....it's gotten worse

RaptorGTA

I stopped during Capaldi 's run as well. Capaldi himself was an amazing doctor when then script let him be. Moffat is an amazing writer but I think he was tapped out at that point so the stories we got were meh. I was worried about a women doctor not being of the doctor being a female..but it felt like they were jumping the shark or trying to drum up interest. I tried watching the last season and found myself walking away as the show was playing..or looking at my phone. It wasn't interesting. I can go back and watch old episodes and be completely enwrapped in the story or the performance. Jodi just seems like she's doing a cosplay performance of 10 and 11. That's fine for the first episode as the Doctor is finding their own personality. But all of the previous doctors were able to balance a silly persona with a performance that was dark and menacing. I haven't seen her show this off..

It's also possible I have changed and the show just doesn't apply to me anymore. But interest in the show has noticeably declined. I don't see any toys in store for Doctor Who like I use too. I don't see anyone on my FB feed talking about the show. My friends don't talk about it anymore.

Airola

a shame. i used to watch Who all the time. dropped off sometime during the Capaldi run. none of the new stuff looked appealing so i didn't bother looking into it.

I think this is the problem more than a female Doctor.
Capaldi overstayed his welcome.

She's been surprisingly good as the Doctor. Certainly has much more energy than Capaldi ever had. But I wouldn't be surprised if more people just stopped caring during the Capaldi era. Not that it was BAD but it was more mediocre than good.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

The female part ain't the problem.....it's the shitty writing and the stories just are not interesting anymore.....i stopped watching regularly towards the end of the Matt Smith but tuned in now and again to see if it changed at all..but nope....it's gotten worse
I was going to say something similar. My understanding is that she is actually a decent "Doctor", just the stories are kind cruddy. I haven't watch it since Matt Smith left but my friends have and they say she actually is pretty fun.

That's not her fault the writting isnt up to snuff.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Everything after the RTD era has been so shit they should have just taken a long break after that

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I think this is the problem more than a female Doctor.
Capaldi overstayed his welcome.

She's been surprisingly good as the Doctor. Certainly has much more energy than Capaldi ever had. But I wouldn't be surprised if more people just stopped caring during the Capaldi era. Not that it was BAD but it was more mediocre than good.

Got on board with Smith and fell in love with the show. Was a great tradition for me and my oldest kid :). Such good memories :).

She grew out of it but I kept watching. But I got bored of Capaldi (liked him, but felt too creaky) and stopped watching.

So that didn't help. But I wonder if this is also driving part of the lower views:

I have NEVER seen the Jodi's Doctor. Not cause I don't want to but because BBC doesn't seem to want to stream their damn show on anything. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney +, Shudder, and I think 1-2 more. NONE of them have Doctor Who. The only way to watch Doc Who for me- cause I got rid of cable ages ago- is to pay 2 bucks/show. Which I just don't plan on doing. Especially since I can't even sample 3-4 episodes to see if I like this new Doc enough to start paying.

I get everyone has a different tv set up but for me personally (and again, it's not like I don't already have a good number of paid for options), the limited viewing options of Doc Who (basically get cable or pay ala carte) are a big reason I've moved away from the show.

But hell, maybe if it was streaming I STILL would not be watching it cause I'd hate the new Doc (or the show's new writing staff). But I have no idea cause- you know- the streaming thing :)...

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
i dont watch the show but i dont think this is actually correct.

Does seem to be some conflicting numbers here with Doctor Who News reporting higher numbers, would not surprise me if this is some click bait. Who provides the actual data for these viewership numbers?

It all went wrong after they ditched the best Doctor.

He was truly the best, but I did also really dig Peter Davison in the role. When I stumbled across the show in college on BBC kids late night programming, he was the first Doctor I became acquainted with. I think Christopher Eccleston was the worst Doctor and maybe the laziest design, which is crazy for being the one they revived the series with.

Airola

Everything after the RTD era has been so shit they should have just taken a long break after that

Russell T Davies was a phenomenal showrunner and a writer.
While I think there were great scifi ideas and high stakes and good drama here and there when Matt Smith was the Doctor I feel the scifi ideas were much better and the stakes were even higher and the dramatic moments, oh god, were much bigger tearjerkers.

This song was so good:

:messenger_crying:

David Tennant and Billie Piper had such an amazing chemistry that I think hasn't been topped before or after.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Certain kinds of people will blame the fact they went with a female lead, but in reality its just a combination of shit writing and the hangover of 3 great Doctor's back to back. Whovians were spoiled with Tennet, Smith and Capaldi. Jodie Whittaker strikes me as having the same potential as any of them, but is being constantly let down by terrible writing.

It also doesn't help that the time between seasons has been god awful these past 5 years it feels like. There is no consistency.

I_D

They've all been shit since Tennant.
Smith had some pretty cool storylines built in, with 'The Silence" and whatnot, but even that couldn't compare to the true Doctor.

It's not anybody else's fault that David Ten-Inch was just too damn good.
At this point, they're just equal to what the show was before the true War Doctor, which is quite shit to what he brought to the table.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I really liked Whittaker’s casting at first, but...

It became evident really fast that this wasn’t a genuine creative decision, reading staff and cast interviews, but an ideologically motivated one.

Even watching the show kind of bore that out; there was nothing all that interesting about our first female doctor, which seems like it should be grounds for a lot of interesting, new characterization. Instead, as others have mentioned, she seems more like a mash-up of the previous modern male Doctors.

Which I guess is in line with there being no genders, and everyone is actually the same. :messenger_confused:

That of course, was followed by even more hamfisting of politics and embarrassing leftist positions, than the previous Doctor had at the end of his run. At that point, I was done. As always, I watch shows for entertainment, or occasionally maybe an interesting, nuanced look at a real world issue from all sides. I don’t watch to be preached to by idiots.

I don’t know if everyone feels that way, but that’s why I bailed, at least. Yeah, the writing was a little shaky, but I would have stuck around. Nothing about the show made me want to give it a chance to see if it got better.

I’m good with 9 > 10 > 11 > and most of 12. Magical run.

Series got taken over by crazy fangirls that wanted every episode to be their latest fanfiction. Show went full alphabet pride and wasted Capaldi before it even got to the gender swap.

They should just put in an asshole Doctor and naturally purge the fangirls away. There's a tradition of the English Gentlemen in fiction and media. The character is always mentally sharp, some form of a loner, and brave while not brutish. Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, James Bond and so on. Always played by many actors and renditions.

xandaca

I like Jodie Whittaker - she's becoming a bit one-dimensional, although that's because the writers are making her go through the same motions over and over again - but last season was poor and this season is, if anything, even worse. Spyfall started passably, but the second part was utterly tedious, with everything relayed through dialogue. I'd wager you could strip away the visuals and release it as an (incredibly boring) audiobook and it would make no difference whatsoever. Tell, don't show, seems to be Chibnall's mantra. I also wasn't convinced by Sacha Dhawan's Master: the character's always been a gigantic ham, which Dhawan played up to, but it all felt very forced and performed. Simm was hammy as all hell too, but there was a genuine nastiness beneath his mania which just about held the performance together (I don't think he was great either, but he was a decent match for RTD's overblown writing style). Michelle Gomez is a lunatic in real life and is the only person who could make the Master/Missy feel even somewhat naturalistic, and somehow she did. Dhawan goes over-the-top and has his moments, but it feels like a caricature rather than a character. The following episode, 'Orphan 55' was egregious on every level: completely illogical writing, preachy and tiresome. The Nikola Tesla one was the best so far, but it's notable that even its champions have noted it would have been an above-average filler episode at best in better seasons. The guest stars gave good performances, but for the fourth time in a row, the actual story was as by-the-book as imaginable. Doctor Who's always been a lefty sort of show, so even if the politics are more pronounced, it somewhat comes with the territory for me. All the stuff that should make Who what it is - the eccentricity and unpredictability, the low-budget bombast, the joyful silliness - have gone completely missing. I really hope the show survives Chibnall and Whittaker gets a lead writer who can give her something worthwhile to do, but if he comes back for a third season I'm not holding out much hope.

Kazza

I haven't watched the show, but I did enjoy watching these videos about it (I recommend playing at 1.5 speed) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The tl;dw is that it has become very preachy and political.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Skipped Peter Capaldi's last season and Jodie Whitaker's first. Decided to jump in this new season to see if it's worth watching.

The season opener Spyfall is a bad mix of spy fiction and Who. They really should stop shoehorning tropes from other genre fiction if it doesn't mix well with the show. Add to the fact that Chibnall is rehashing old material from both Russell T. Davies and Moffat in a desperate attempt to win back the old fandom. Bringing back the Master? Really? Is that the only trick these NuWho showrunners have up their sleeve? And why does the Doctor have so many companions who end up being useless? Doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. All in all, probably the most lackluster beginning I've seen in NuWho.

The less said of Orphan 55, the better. It's a base under siege episode that doesn't know how to properly pace the suspense and liberally rips off ideas from the Metro franchise. Not to mention the end when the Doctor goes all Greta Thunberg. It's not the worst episode I've seen on Doctor Who but it's definitely up there.

I've not watched the new episode yet featuring Tesla. I'm still debating if I should bother.

I was genuinely excited for Chibnall and Whitaker before they started.

Broadchurch was an excellent drama, with some amazing performances and dialogue, and with David Tennant as the lead, you'd have assumed Chibnall would have learnt something about Who from him.

Whitaker meanwhile has been great in everything else I've seen her in, she's an actress that can portray deeply soulful emotion and pain better than most.

And maybe that's why they don't work. Drama and pain is all they had.

Put aside the cringey, preachy, outdated, far left politics, and the show is just dour now. Doctor Who is meant to be fun and optimistic. It has darkness, and horror, but those are moments, regular little asides that work because they contrast with the levity and hopefulness surrounding them.

The moment I knew something was off was in their first episode, where the Doctor is running, and stops, suddenly looking a bit uncomfortable, and a companion asks her if she's ok.

What I expected was a joke, because it's Doctor Who and they were clearly setting something up there. Instead she dismissed the concern as if it was weird and stated she was fine, then carried on as usual.

The OBVIOUS thing to have there was a joke about her new body. Some thing like 'she needs a sports bra', 'she regrets making all her female companions run without making sure they had sports bras', 'this was so much easier when she was full of testosterone', 'her hips are wider and its throwing off her running'...

It just needed something, some pithy lighthearted acknowledgement that the Doctor, someone who has always been a very masculine character underneath all the eccentricities and distaste for violence, was now a woman, and everything would be different. But it's never been acknowledged, and that scene in particular can only exist to deliberately stick two fingers up to the idea that there's any differences because why else would it be filmed? Why show a moment of weakness, draw attention to it, then immediately dismiss it and never follow it up?

And we have had nothing since that has done anything with the fact the Doctor is a woman now either. Well, apart from portray men as sexist pigs occasionally.

The show seems almost begrudging of having to write the Doctor as a woman quite frankly. It's a burden to bear or it's completely ignored entirely, whereas I was expecting, hoping, that it was going to be a brilliant, fun and funny new experience for a character that has always been so very male before but desperately seeks out new experiences because he's pretty much a bored god.

I mean it's not like they didn't nail it before with Missy, so why does the Doctor get shafted?

It's the new series in a nutshell really. The creators aren't having fun, they don't see the world or the future as anything to be excited by or hopeful about. Everything is just the oppressors and the oppressed, constantly vying to be the one fucking everyone else over, so no wonder they only ever make fiction that's a bloody misery to sit through.

Last edited:

nush

I tapped out half way through Peter Capaldi's last season, I've still got the DVDs sitting here that I'm going to finish "One day".

GV82

Some thoughts from a longtime Doctor Who fan, who has been through a drought of no new who on TV for many years (except the TV movie) 89-95 & 97-04, I don’t know how to feel, on one hand it sucked with no new Who to watch but on the other hand putting up bad Dr Who episodes is not the answer.

The correct answer I feel is it’s finally time to shift Dr Who from TV to the cinema, TV Dr Who is dying it’s last breath, it’s had it’s chance & it was great, it needs a nice big Hollywood chance, doesn’t matter who’s in the role as long as the writing is great and noone from TV is involved whatsoever.

I remember the fake rumours from back in the early 90’s where they said it was coming to the cinema & my dad promised he’s take me to see it, those were the days and our favourite rumoured actor to play the Doctor was none other than Gary Oldman, back then it felt like that would have been superb.

Mr Chinball is a crap show runner, it deserves better.

I’m not opposed to a female Dr Who but the idea of a Female Dr could have also been the continuation Georgia Moffets Character aka the Dr’s Daughter Jenny in a spin off show like Torchwood, I know she’s a stay at home mum now & david Tennants irl wife & peter Davidsons Daughter but they could have used a different actress same character, they could have even had crossovers.

Or they could have had an adventure show with a few of his assistants taking the lead.

The BBC are probably ready to shelve Doctor Who just like they were in Sylvester McCoys days, his episodes got considerably worse as they went along until cancelling it altogether.

Also I miss Capaldi as do most but he suffered from Steven Moffat being in charge, some was good, some not so good.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I was never a fan of this show so I wouldn't mind if Doctor Woke buried the series for at least a few years until another reboot.

xandaca

The BBC are probably ready to shelve Doctor Who just like they were in Sylvester McCoys days, his episodes got considerably worse as they went along until cancelling it altogether.

Have to call you up on this bit of naughtiness. Sylvester McCoy got off to the worst possible start with the abominable Time And The Rani, and his first season was a highly mixed bag, but his two subsequent seasons are among the best of Classic Who, at least since Tom Baker's prime. Remembrance Of The Daleks is great, Happiness Patrol is a mess but quite good fun, Silver Nemesis is the season dud (and weirdly almost identical to Remembrance in plot) but still has its moments, and Greatest Show In The Galaxy is a stonker. His third and final season was even better: Battlefield is a mixed start but has a ton of good stuff (and the Brigadier!), Ghost Light is almost completely indecipherable but as endearingly mad and unique as Who should be, while Curse Of The Fenric and Survival are two of the greats. Those last two seasons also set the template for what NuWho would become, notably increased focus on the character arcs of the Doctor and his companion, the timey-wimeyness of Battlefield (which still needs its prequel), and the early hints of seasons-long story arcs - even though the Cartmel masterplan was eventually, and probably correctly, abandoned. It had one of the best companions, one of the most complex and underrated Doctors - and my favourite until Capaldi turned up - and some of the most original and bonkers storylines going. The major knock against it is that computer effects are catastrophically bad. We may agree on the (de)merits of Chris Chibnall, but McCoy's last two seasons are beyond reproach.

Doom85

I dropped after the first season of Capaldi's run. I was enjoying it, but there's one major beef I have with the series: every single companion's story ends in a disappointing way.

(I might get a few of these details wrong, it's been years since they aired)

Rose gets dropped off in another dimension. Then later is given a "consolation prize" with a clone of 10 despite the fact it's not actually the person she fell in love with all this time, but a clone so pretty bad. The fact that's she cool with it at the end makes her look like a teen with a superficial crush than actually having genuine feelings for The Doctor.
Martha leaves primarily because she's in love with him but realizes he still loves Rose. Which was annoying since Rose was gone but it felt like we had to be reminded of her constantly even when we got to Donna's season. Then she gets randomly paired up with Mickey later on in one of the most obvious cases of "Pair the Spares" I've ever seen. Pretty lame.
Donna AKA best main companion (I consider Jack a supporting companion otherwise he'd be #1 for me) has all her character development LITERALLY wiped away. WHAT THE FUCK. Yes, I know the Oods foreshadowed stuff and shit, but still way to make her entire growth amount to jack and shit.
Amy and Rory save the day! YAY! Oh wait, out of fucking nowhere and without any explanation of how it survived a single Weeping Angel sends Rory back and Amy follows!

I didn't see how Clara's story ended but I assume it was also either convoluted, nonsensical, random, or just flat out unsatisfying. Like I'd rather at this point just have a companion DIE. No, nothing more complicated than that, they get shot or whatever, say goodbye to the Doctor, and pass away. That's it. I realize this is a sci-fi/time travel show and they want to fully utilize it but the problem is when gets to the endings of these characters it just gets to be too much. When a character's story is reaching its end, I'd say the show needs to calm down and keep things simple, but it doesn't seem to get that.

I might revisit it someday. As great as 9, 10, and 11's actors were, Capaldi just took it to another level. And even people who dislike 13's seasons seems to at least agree the actress was good. And besides, the Doctor Who fanbase is pretty much always divided in opinion. This is true even among my friends. Heck, my favorite episode of Capaldi's run that I've seen (mind you, only seen his first season) was "Listen" but like half my friends hated that episode. Another example, I was tearing up hard with 11's final words, and then the episode ends and my friend has a pissed off expression on his face and says that episode was a big fuck you to 11's entire run. So....yeah. I'll wait to see for myself if I ever get back to it.

GV82

Have to call you up on this bit of naughtiness. Sylvester McCoy got off to the worst possible start with the abominable Time And The Rani, and his first season was a highly mixed bag, but his two subsequent seasons are among the best of Classic Who, at least since Tom Baker's prime. Remembrance Of The Daleks is great, Happiness Patrol is a mess but quite good fun, Silver Nemesis is the season dud (and weirdly almost identical to Remembrance in plot) but still has its moments, and Greatest Show In The Galaxy is a stonker. His third and final season was even better: Battlefield is a mixed start but has a ton of good stuff (and the Brigadier!), Ghost Light is almost completely indecipherable but as endearingly mad and unique as Who should be, while Curse Of The Fenric and Survival are two of the greats. Those last two seasons also set the template for what NuWho would become, notably increased focus on the character arcs of the Doctor and his companion, the timey-wimeyness of Battlefield (which still needs its prequel), and the early hints of seasons-long story arcs - even though the Cartmel masterplan was eventually, and probably correctly, abandoned. It had one of the best companions, one of the most complex and underrated Doctors - and my favourite until Capaldi turned up - and some of the most original and bonkers storylines going. The major knock against it is that computer effects are catastrophically bad. We may agree on the (de)merits of Chris Chibnall, but McCoy's last two seasons are beyond reproach.

Ah I am not saying I dislike Sylvester McCoy, I am saying it appears the public not so much & bbc cancelled it

I agree with Remembrance being great & made me a fan of the Daleks yes, but by the time it got to Happiness Patrol it is where I realised I couldn’t take Dr Who seriously anymore, I was only 6 yrs old and hated it, I Knew then that a dolly mixture monster & the hapiness patrol gang was too silly. Yet I hadn’t seen the other Doctors at that point so I didn’t know that Dr Who could be silly, until UK Gold repeated them a few years later mid 90’s.

I do like some of Sylvester McCoys stuff he was my doctor growing up being born in 1982 afterall, but regardless of what we liked & disliked ourselves about his episodes clearly the bbc & the rest of the public did not like it as much (unless it was going downhill because it was on a Friday night)

Last edited:

GreyHorace

And yet they won't change a single thing going into next season, cause that would be admitting defeat.
I say let them do that. The show gets cancelled again, which makes the fandom angry and the BBC finally gets a clue and purges a lot of their IdPol employees and makes programming that doesn't insult their viewers for differing political opinions.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is the show itself really that bad? My biggest issue with not watching recent seasons is because it is completely random where it will show up in the US. It used to be on Netlfix, then suddenly Hulu, then some weird BBC app that only worked half of the time. So I gave up a few years ago.

I'd really like to watch the new stuff but I honestly have no idea how I can in the US. The BBC or whatever needs to form a solid partnership with some streaming service and just make the shit available.

Kenpachii

Is the show itself really that bad? My biggest issue with not watching recent seasons is because it is completely random where it will show up in the US. It used to be on Netlfix, then suddenly Hulu, then some weird BBC app that only worked half of the time. So I gave up a few years ago.

I'd really like to watch the new stuff but I honestly have no idea how I can in the US. The BBC or whatever needs to form a solid partnership with some streaming service and just make the shit available.

d3423w2g5ur21.jpg

Top Bottom