• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does a person's name or/and surname affect how you feel about them?

Does a person's name affect how you feel about them?

• Total voters

greencoder

Just curious, because my surname is close to Ismail (a muslim name) and I live in Europe.

Last edited:

QSD

When I was a student I read a social psychology paper once where they had found that people named "Dennis" were statistically more likely that average to live in Denver and be dentist as a profession. So yeah names affect stuff on subconscious level

quickwhips

I don't care what's someone name is as long as they tell me how to pronounce it and aren't a fuck up. If they are a fuck up leave me alone.

Last edited:

INC

It can do if its a local surname, thats renowned for a pikey family

Myself I have double barrelled name, thats extremely rare, and most people can't spell, thats literally the only interesting thing about me

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
A little bit I guess. It's not like if your name is 'Peregrine' I am gonna hate you outright, I'm just going to have in the back of my mind that you might be from a different background to me.

Patrick S.

Banned
There's actually a phenomenon called "Kevinism" here in Germany. It's basically the observation that people from very lower class households, who typically live on social welfare, tend to name their children with foreign, non-German names. Very common names in these househods are for example: Kevin, Justin, Dustin, Jason, Chantal, Cindy. If your name is Kevin, typically you'll be bullied in school, and later in life have it tougher to find an education or job.

As an anecdote, in my job, I often go to homes where the German Caritas houses children who have been taken away from problematic families, and I often witness those kids being assholes to each other and their tutors, and 99% of the time when I hear their names becuase they're shouting at each other or being hearded in by a tutor, they're names from the examples I mentioned above, or other English/Exotic sounding names.

Last edited:
Not really. I've run into people with my name. One time he was really conscious about it, and was always joking about us both having the same name. I was like, uh, yeah, wow.

A killer name is a killer name. Dick Wolf. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. But someone can have a cool name and just be another rando. It doesn't make a difference.

Sometimes extremely good things have dumb names. Like The Beatles. If you are good enough, the name will not matter.

Last edited:

Mistake

There's actually a phenomenon called "Kevinism" here in Germany. It's basically the observation that people from very lower class households, who typically live on social welfare, tend to name their children with foreign, non-German names. Very common names in these househods are for example: Kevin, Justin, Dustin, Jason, Chantal, Cindy. If your name is Kevin, typically you'll be bullied in school, and later in life have it tougher to find an education or job.

As an anecdote, in my job, I often go to homes where the German Caritas houses children who have been taken away from problematic families, and I often witness those kids being assholes to each other and their tutors, and 99% of the time when I hear their names becuase they're shouting at each other or being hearded in by a tutor, they're names from the examples I mentioned above, or other English/Exotic sounding names.
It’s very interesting how names work in different cultures, especially ones that don’t originate from there. I usually found that names say more about the parents than it does about the person with it

Barack HUSSEIN Obama, we all know how many folks that triggered.

For the most part, obviously the name doesn't matter. If you're a Tess or Skyler you can go fuck yourself though.

Alright

Banned
It can do if its a local surname, thats renowned for a pikey family

Myself I have double barrelled name, thats extremely rare, and most people can't spell, thats literally the only interesting thing about me
I've got a pikey surname and no matter how or when I try, Pontins is always fully booked.

Seriously though, everyone thinks the Irish are pissed up aggressive, punchy idiots. We are, but it holds you back when it comes to jobs. I have to apply using my middle name to even have half a sniff.

OT: "What is in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Shakespeare got that one wrong. Names do affect us. If some guy called Fred once bought you and your mates a round of drinks out of the blue, any future Fred's you meet will be met with a natural positive and warm attitude. Or, if you were mugged by a fella called Gary, you would be weary when meeting any future Garys

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I want to say no, but the reality is 'sometimes yes', just can't help it. Like I'm 50% more attracted to all women named Monica. ;)

Rat Rage

joYDDJD.png

Yes. Certain names just invoke a feeling of a certain kind of person. You can only meet so many assholes who happen to be named Wesley before you start noticing a pattern. Names can also tell you something about the kind of household people grew up in. It's getting easy to identify hipsters for example, when you see babies get named "flower" or other such nonsense.

Ironbunny

I mean it shouldnt but if your last name is Hitler or Stalin I would rise an eyebrow. Other then that no.

or....Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk, Bang Ding Ow

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I've never met a Scott or a Stephanie that wasn't a little bitch.

I've never met a Vanessa or Veronica I didn't want to fuck.

Thats pretty cool as a social phenomenom, much less to the kids. Where im from kids with foreign name usually are seen as high society

Names, like all language/mental labels, carry connotations that can vary from person to person, culture to culture. So sure, names have impact for good or bad, depending on the one(s) doing the interpreting of the symbols.

levyjl1988

Banned
I remember my yearbook was full of Singh, Zheng, Ali, Lieu, etc you would think that they were all related. The most common last names lack imagination. It's even worse when your name is Jaspreet Singh, so common of a name it causes confusion. Attendance was hell and hilarious as half the names were Jaspreet Singh. Yeah, I lived in a brown neighborhood.

NahaNago

I remember my yearbook was full of Singh, Zheng, Ali, Lieu, etc you would think that they were all related. The most common last names lack imagination. It's even worse when your name is Jaspreet Singh, so common of a name it causes confusion. Attendance was hell and hilarious as half the names were Jaspreet Singh. Yeah, I lived in a brown neighborhood.
but I thought Singh was a royal name. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Could not care less about the name just don't be a dick if I mispronounce it. Just let me know the correct pronunciation and lets move the fuck on.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
You want to hear a real name? Eddie. Eddie is a real name. Whatever happened to Eddie? He was here a minute ago. Joey and Jackie and Bobby and Phil. Tommy and Danny and Bill.
What happened, Todd? And Cody, and Dylan, and Cameron, and Tucker. Hi, Tucker. I'm Todd. "Hi, Todd! I'm Tucker." Fuck Tucker; Tucker sucks.
And fuck Tucker's friend, Kyle.
Yeah. There's another soft name for a boy. Kyle. Soft names make soft people. I'll bet you anything that ten times out of ten, Nicky, Vinny and Tony will beat the shit out of Todd, Kyle, and Tucker.

- George Carlin

but no, I don't care about people's names, as long as they're not dicks.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Yea a little. If someone comes in with a hippie name like Sunflower Cloudburster I think this is going to be weird.

It doesn't affect much though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom