• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin Blog: Rodea the Sky Soldier is more graphically impressive on Wii (than wiiU)

bomblord1

Banned
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/11/12/rodea-releases-for-WiiU-3DS-and-Wii/

rodeaground-wii.png

rodeaground-wiiu.png
The Wii version of Rodea actually features higher res textures, more dense environments, and more detailed character models.

If you put in HD on Dolphin the only thing the wiiU version had as superior is gone (running in HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a849TzbHxGM

What Yuji Naka suggested was that the Wii version was the better game. While we're not in the business of reviewing or comparing games, the tweet and story behind the Wii version caught the blog's attention, and we couldn't help but investigate.

Fortunately, it ran perfectly and virtually every enhancement thrown at the game works beautifully. Arguably, the Wii game looks better than the Wii U game even on consoles, but using the emulator to increase the resolution and add enhancements just makes the comparison unfair.

It's really no surprise that a Wii game could play better, a lot of people prefer older versions of games to newer ones, but the fact that it looks better is bewildering. Throughout the early levels we've played, the Wii version has more colorful backgrounds, more detailed models and even little things like faster load times (using as accurate of load times as we can on Dolphin) and more fluid movement. Even the ground textures on the Wii version are higher resolution than those of the Wii U version! Why? They took the ground textures from the 3DS game, which runs on a much lower resolution screen!

Ridley327

The Wii U version is a mere port of the 3DS version, so it does make sense. Why Kadokawa didn't put more effort into it, I haven't a clue, but there is a reason why it's this way.

Yeah, it's a different game than the Wii one basically.
They basically got the levels, down ported to 3DS and then up ported to Wii U.
The scale is pretty impressive but it looks like a Dreamcast game

BiggNife

I don't understand why Kadokawa decided to port the 3DS game to Wii U instead of the Wii version. It makes no sense whatsoever, especially since every single review/impression I've read is that the Wii version is way better than 3DS/Wii U.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Yeah, I thought the Wii U version was just a 3DS port so that's not all that surprising. It's a shame the game is apparently not all that great anyways.

Riki

lol, weird. I wonder how that came to be
Game was designed for Wii and 3DS. It was shelved for years. Finally get funds to release it on the condition there's a WiiU port. Quick dirty port of 3DS version since it's easier to do. The end

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah, I thought the Wii U version was just a 3DS port so that's not all that surprising. It's a shame the game is apparently not all that great anyways.

lol yeah, I believe most that are buying this are doing so for the Wii game over the Wii U one. I know the main reason I'm getting it is for the Wii version at least, looks fun as hell compared to Wii U version.

Ridley327

Game was designed for Wii and 3DS. It was shelved for years. Finally get funds to release it on the condition there's a WiiU port. Quick dirty port of 3DS version since it's easier to do. The end

It's actually weirder than that, as the Wii version was the only one that Prope worked on and completed. Kadokawa asked for a 3DS port when they turned in the Wii version, and then the whole thing went silent for years. The Wii game itself has been completed since 2011.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Why wouldn't they port the Wii version to Wii U? The Wii U has a lot of architecture similarities to Wii and you can use Wiimotes. This seems like a very mismanaged project.

Tizoc

Wow guess I'll keep the Wii U ver. wrapped and trade/sell it off someday.
Can't remember if I should be getting the 3DS ver. as well though >_>;

What I don't understand is why the soul of the game was ripped out when it was ported to 3DS. Lower texture resolution is one thing, but it just seems like a poor port in general when textures are completely lacking color and gradient detail present in the original title.

The worst part of it all is that the 3DS version seems to be a pretty terrible port in the first place.

They say that the Wii version is included as a bonus in the Wii U game, but I think they mixed up the order. It's more like the Wii U game is the extra bonus thrown in with the package.

Lazaro

Interesting that the textures are worse among other elements in the Wii U version. A Wii U port should have had improved textures and even more denser environments.

I don't understand why Kadokawa decided to port the 3DS game to Wii U instead of the Wii version. It makes no sense whatsoever, especially since every single review/impression I've read is that the Wii version is way better than 3DS/Wii U.
The Wii version is made for the Wii remote, as far as I know. You can't guarantee everyone with a WiiU is going to have a Wii remote to play it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 3DS was actually capable of more detailed textures than the Wii. One of the areas in which it is superior to the Wii from a purely graphical standpoint. I think the 3DS and Wii U Rodea versions clearly being made on the cheap is a better reason as to why the textures are worse.

bomblord1

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 3DS was actually capable of more detailed textures than the Wii. One of the areas in which it is superior to the Wii from a purely graphical standpoint. I think the 3DS and Wii U Rodea versions clearly being made on the cheap is a better reason as to why the textures are worse.

Capable technically sure due to the increased RAM however sometimes things don't work so easily in practice.

JimboJones

Hopfully they put the Wii game on the eshop, seems silly to only have it available as a bonus for the first (and probably only) print run of the Wii u game.

Seems like a waste not to have it on there.

Top Bottom