• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doomsday vault is almost operational

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7097052.stm
Engineers have begun the two-month process of cooling down a "doomsday vault", which will house seeds from all known varieties of key food crops.
The temperature inside the Svalbard Global Seed Vault will drop to -18C (0F) in order to preserve the seeds.

Built deep inside a mountain, it aims to safeguard the world's crops from future disasters, such as nuclear wars, asteroids or dangerous climate change.

The first seeds are scheduled to arrive at the Arctic site in mid-February.

The Norwegian government is paying the $9m (£4.5m) construction costs of the vault, which will have enough space to house 4.5 million seed samples.
_42551989_seed_vault_416.gif

Az987

all good things
if a nuclear holocaust did happen, wouldnt the soil be contaminated rendering the seeds useless

Can we please start funding programs aimed at terraforming and inhabiting other planets. It actually makes me sad to know that I'll be dead a long time before we see the first settlers on another planet.

With the way we're going, I see a history of the human race as follows:

- Nuclear threats, over population and major environmental damage begin turning Earth into a cesspool.

- Humanity spends all it's resources attempting to fix the problems.

- Problems slow down, but still persist.

- World War 3 - Nuclear Bombs are used. Earth's homeostasis surpasses the point of saving.

- Scientist's propose that we start investing in a program to explore and colonise other planets, only there isn't enough time now to find those which are remotely habitable.

- Humanity dwindles in numbers for a long, long time, before eventually dying out.

- Shenmue III is released.

Rayo

Banned
Was the plan to build this concocted by multiple nations or did Norway come up with it on their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom