• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doug Bowser confirms digital BC with Switch 2?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I've read nothing about the actuall carts that Nintendo uses for their physical releases. I wonder if they have improved read speeds or cheaper for larger storage for the developers.
This maybe why the Switch 2 is going all digital as they need faster read speeds that the current physical carts can't deliver.
Since the Switch uses 100mb, SSDs uses 500mb, and one could say that 300mb is enough to have 4k gaming, the Switch 2 will do fine with their proprietary cart or top of the line SD card

Barakov

I couldnt figure out what BC meant so i read this as Doug Bowser Confirms Digital Black Cock with Switch 2
Evil Eye Stare GIF by MOODMAN

I could see the next console having BC for digital games, but I won't be surprised Nintendo doesn't stick a legacy cartridge slot on it. I'm not a collector or a preservationist type of guy, so it really doesn't bother me.

Also, I had never run across that inverse.com site before. I'm disappointed I gave them a click.

Shut0wen

No way in hell is nintendo going to do BC, doug literally mentions your account will still carry over which basically means any pictures and backrounds you got on the switch carry over, why would nintendo bother doing it when they can sell you mario obysessey upscaled to 4k with a £49.99 price tag

Pimpbaa

Great, the one platform where I buy physical copies. I mean I still buy digitally there, but big Nintendo games I bought physical copies. Mostly so I don’t fill up my 128GB micro sd card. I mean they put a freakin GBA cartridge slot on the Nintendo DS. Bah I bet they’ll have a game card slot that is BC with Switch 1 game cards.

Cyberpunkd

Nintendo should never drop physical games, and I doubt that they have any plans to do so. It's critical to their unique hold on the family market.
Plus with all other moving out of retail many locations are now monopolised by Nintendo, 80-90% of space is theirs. I think this will be a costly mistake for Sony and Microsoft.

Poppyseed

Inverse interviewed Doug Bowser and asked him about the Switch 2 Gamescom rumors:

They’ve since gone in and edited the interview to remove him talking about using the Nintendo account to reduce the “dip” from one generation to another. Guess Nintendo got to them.

This is the original quote:

Am I being dim? Where does he say backward compatibility is a lock?

Considering prevalence of physical in Japan and most of Asia, Nintendo would be crazy not to have physical BC.

Then again, you never know. I am mostly physical with the Switch so definitely wouldn’t buy into the new non BC console for a few years at least.

Physical Switch market is white hot everywhere. Switch physical is honestly most likely the last major platform with physical games to justify all the retail shelf space. Nintendo won’t be able to phase out physical for at least another generation after the next-gen Switch.

Am I being dim? Where does he say backward compatibility is a lock?

He doesn’t. OP and others are seeing what they want to see. He makes no hint or mention of it at all. He’s just talking about the console transition phase and not wanting to have the issue of when they went from Wii to Wii U and struggle out of the gate.

Having said that, it would be quite surprising in this day & age for Nintendo to not have at least some way to carry over Switch games to next-gen. It’s just become an expected feature, and I can’t imagine the fallout from people like myself if they don’t allow for it. Would be ridiculous.

Top Bottom