• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI first two-day digital sales numbers revealed

From Gematsu:

In its first two days of release in Japan, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age sold 113,182 digital copies on PlayStation 4 and 62,939 digital copies on 3DS, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

The magazine published digital sales numbers from June 29 to July 30. Dragon Quest XI launched on July 29. Other numbers for digital sales within that time period revealed include:

Splatoon 2 (launched July 21) – 60,205 digital sales
Gundam Versus (launched July 6) – 40,260 digital sales

Wow surprised to see it sold more on the PS4 even if it's just the digital version. But it's always nice to see a home console game release doing well in Japan.

Edit - Are these numbers considered bad launch numbers in the grand scheme?

Wow surprised to see it sold more on the PS4 even if it's just the digital version. But it's always nice to see a home console game release doing well in Japan.

Edit - Are these numbers considered bad launch numbers in the grand scheme?
Since the physical copies pretty much sold out, this is fine.

Isn't that the usual weekly "Famitsu estimates" instead of actual data from Square Enix ? How anyone can estimate digital data is beyond me by the way, if someone can shed light on this.

hongcha

Over 113K digital on PS4 in just two days is not bad. They've probably sold at least another 50K in the subsequent 4 weeks.

That would've meant PS4 = 1,063,520 and 3DS = 1,193,407 at launch.

Which one of you motherfuckers said it would've beaten 3DS on launch with digital in the old media create thread?

DKHF

They're what I expected. Would be great to get official digital numbers (from Square Enix) but won't happen.

gtj1092

That would've meant PS4 = 1,063,520 and 3DS = 1,193,407 at launch.

Which one of you motherfuckers said it would've beaten 3DS on launch with digital in the old media create thread?

Versus how many said the Ps4 version would bomb or not even be made? Both are doing well. Let's hope both versions also exceed expectations in the West.

dan2026

If digital in Japan is anything like the UK, it's absurdly expensive.
And you would find games much cheaper physically.

Shadio

If digital in Japan is anything like the UK, it's absurdly expensive.
And you would find games much cheaper physically.

The PS4 physical and digital versions seem to have the same price. Which is ¥8980 plus tax (¥9698). The 3DS version is ¥5980 plus tax (¥6458). I think those prices are right, anyway.

I don't know if it's a similar situation to the UK, though, with the big-name shops selling much cheaper than digital and smaller shops selling even cheaper still. But it's already on a 20% discount from the original price on Amazon.

But those prices are pretty horrific. And here I thought games in the UK were expensive.

Raw64life

So you could reasonably assume that DQXI total sales across both platforms is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.3 million so far, which puts it somewhere between DQVIII and DQIX sales at the same point in time.

I've been playing the 3DS version at a snail's pace due to my shit Japanese but I love it so far and happy to see it selling well. Please don't fuck up the western release.

Top Bottom