• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreaming of the Dreamcast!

Hey GAF! I'm still dreaming of the Dreamcast! I feel like at heart, I'm a Sega person, mainly because I grew up on Sonic and like Sega's arcade-like mentality. But anyways, the Dreamcast intrigues me with it's arcade games, it's original games, etc. I'd love to experience them on the original hardware one day! But not any Dreamcast will do. My ideal solution is to save up for one of the modded Dreamcasts with SD card support so that I can play the games without worry that the disc laser will die on me. So what about you GAF? Have you had the fortune of experiencing the Dreamcast? Or are you in the same boat as me, dreaming about the Dreamcast?

Had 3 systems over time when they came out and spent tons of hours playing Chu Chu Rocket and PSO. Online play and VGA adapter at the time were really impressive. Last DC games I bought were probably Under Defeat and Cosmic Smash. But as you said, the disc drive was prone to failure. I used a boot disc quite a bit to play imports like the PAL version of Shenmue II which I think caused a strain on the optical drive..

I see those modded systems are pretty pricey, but there's nothing wrong with emulation, as it's gotten really good recently. Especially when you play the Naomi hardware-based games.

Had 3 systems over time when they came out and spent tons of hours playing Chu Chu Rocket and PSO. Online play and VGA adapter at the time were really impressive. Last DC games I bought were probably Under Defeat and Cosmic Smash. But as you said, the disc drive was prone to failure. I used a boot disc quite a bit to play imports like the PAL version of Shenmue II which I think caused a strain on the optical drive..

I see those modded systems are pretty pricey, but there's nothing wrong with emulation, as it's gotten really good recently. Especially when you play the Naomi hardware-based games.

I have an emulator, Redream, and some of my favorite games on there. But it feels "too modern" imo, and missing VMU features as well.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 on my Dreamcast while in high school was great

Shenmue in particular holds a special place in my heart. It was like nothing else I played at the time

Last edited by a moderator:

FeldMonster

One reason that I like my Dreamcast is that it is at the cross road between retro and modern consoles. For example, it is the most modern system that I can get a [real, not the saved game versions] GameShark to work on. (Why can't we have cheat codes anymore in games?) At the same time, it is capable of digital video output. I haven't purchased the DC-HDMI mod yet, but I plan to soon. This makes it easy to connect to a modern TV, and improves the image quality greatly.

Edit: Also, some really great games. My favorites on the system are Mortal Kombat Gold, Star Wars Jedi Power Battles, Soul Calibur I, and Crazy Taxi 1 & 2.

Last edited:
The greatest console of all time, for me.

Buying it imported from japan near launch, with Soul Calibur, still is the greatest gaming experience of my life (and I've been playing non-stop since the 80s).

Having a home console that could surpass what you could play in the arcades was something truly out of this world.

And then came Shenmue. Those first 30 minutes or so are forever burned into my retinas. That was next-gen.

And besides, it's the best looking console ever, too.

Just look at it in glorious black:
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Been using a Dreamcast for yonks. Had the pleasure of playing the system via VGA on a decent CRT monitor back in the day, but it still looks surprisingly clean on an LCD TV when I last played on it. Unfortunately mine developed the dreaded controller port fault (can apparently be repaired by replacing an internal fuse) so replaced with a Saturn for the time being until the Dreamcast is fixed or replaced. Always gotta have something SEGA plugged in.

cireza

My Dreamcast plays discs perfectly fine, and you can play burnt discs as well, simply pick the ReviveDC, DCCM, DCRES ones.

For ouput, I use either SCART RGB on a CRT TV, or VGA to HDMI using an Akura Box.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Playing Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 on my Dreamcast while in high school was great

Shenmue in particular holds a special place in my heart. It was like nothing else I played at the time

Yeah, I also have fond memories of discovering the console and Shenmue when it came out. Couldn't buy the dreamcast as I was too young but it didn't stop me from renting it.

This generation was the best! Such advancements compared to the previous gen.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I had one, and a few other friends did too. None of us were SEGA loyalists either. The sports games were eye-popping even though I wasn't much into sports games. 2k series, Ready2Rumble, SEGA Bass Fishing, Ultimate Fighting Championship, etc etc weren't genres that I cared about but they were fun on Dreamcast. Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, and Soul Calibur were cool.

I played Sonic Adventure 2 to death, to the point where I unlocked Green Hill. This song gives me ptsd flashbacks

Buying it imported from japan near launch, with Soul Calibur, still is the greatest gaming experience of my life (and I've been playing non-stop since the 80s).

Having a home console that could surpass what you could play in the arcades was something truly out of this world.

And then came Shenmue. Those first 30 minutes or so are forever burned into my retinas. That was next-gen.

Im gay for you. 🖤

Meicyn

Gold Member
Loved my Dreamcast, but the controller was dogshit. The cable wire comes out of the controller towards you instead of towards the console, wasting a good six inches or so of cable. The d-pad is especially bad. The analog stick is convex instead of concave. The triggers were terrible. VMUs were tacky and made the controller heavier than it needed to be, and they had hilariously inadequate storage space for games.

But Phantasy Star Online was so good that I didn’t care.

Last edited:
This reminds me an urban legend, arguably a real story, of the Leonam, a guy who jerked off inside his Dreamcast in accident and had to tell that to the Sega support.

Ah, how the time flies.

Last edited:

Business

Looks beautiful in black indeed. Also the orange logo was the superior choice as well, a shame we got the blue one in Europe.

SirTerry-T

Day one, pal. I was working for a small team that had been snapped up by Sony to develop some titles for them. The team was mainly ex-Rare staff, so as the only Sega fanboy on the team I was already swimming against the tide of Nintendo and Sony guys ;)
Went to my local Rumbelows (now defunct UK electronics store) slapped down my cash and walked out with Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Powerstone and Trickstyle (if I remember correctly), suffice to o say when I fired it up back at the Dev studio a few heads were turned and "allegiances" strained!
Still have it up and running now and then. The disc laser hasn't given up just yet but it's a bit twitchier than it used to be.

Last edited:
SEGA went ALL IN with that console. 60fps uncompromised polished acrade gloryness paired with groundbreaking online features and unique high quality exclusive games. Imagine how much balls u need to greenlight a project like Shenmue, JSR, PSO or Seamen back in the days.

I hope there is a parallel universe in which SEGA has installed a DVD drive and EA publishes games on it.

RAIDEN1

Its days were numbered the minute Sony came into town with the PS2.....this was not 1988....Sega were on a weaker footing, and little margin for error after their decisions from 1992-1995

The Dreamcast was the first console I bought on launch day. Mine died but my older brother gave me his last year. My younger brother had it modded which was one of the best investments he's ever made. HDMI, MODE, Noctua fan mod, and a new black shell. The SSD has every game ever made for the system on it.

A5miv2t.jpg

0U8i6Fs.jpg

eSpjDo5.jpg

Last edited:

BlackSandrock10

Neo Member
Reading up on the thread and looking at the shots brings up memories with the exception of 'that wonderful modified Dreamcast'.......need to do that with my one! Criminally underrated console and still wished that Sega was still around in the hardware business! Bar that, I still playing with my Dreamcast with a few self-booted games I did recently along with emulating NAOMI games on my PC!

OrtizTwelve

Dreamcast was a GREAT and UNIQUE console back in the day.

It's a shame that poor corporate management and ultimately the PS2 launch, killed it. There were A LOT of unique Sega games on the console that made the console have it's own identity and stand out from N64, PS1, etc.

SkylineRKR

Loved my Dreamcast, but the controller was dogshit. The cable wire comes out of the controller towards you instead of towards the console, wasting a good six inches or so of cable. The d-pad is especially bad. The analog stick is convex instead of concave. The triggers were terrible. VMUs were tacky and made the controller heavier than it needed to be, and they had hilariously inadequate storage space for games.

But Phantasy Star Online was so good that I didn’t care.

Its hands down the worst controller ever. Triggers would break in. Analog stick was way too stiff. Buttons were too sharp, D-pad was like a razor. Thing felt clunky and caused blisters. Cable was horrible, it was placed underneath for some reason. The only good thing was VMU but even that was fucked up since it ate batteries for breakfast. Storage was weird. PS1 mostly had one block for a game, like the FF games etc. DC went all over the place.

The controller was especially franken if you had a VMU and added memorycard or rumble pack inserted.

REDRZA MWS

The NFL 2k game that launched with DC was great too. Really great. Played countless hours.

The Dreamcast was the first console I bought on launch day. Mine died but my older brother gave me his last year. My younger brother had it modded which was one of the best investments he's ever made. HDMI, MODE, Noctua fan mod, and a new black shell. The SSD has every game ever made for the system on it.

A5miv2t.jpg

0U8i6Fs.jpg

eSpjDo5.jpg
wow, love it!!!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The way teh system looks still gets me. It just looks so modern and cool.

We played tons of games on my DC but Soul Calibur, and SF3 Third Strike got the most time I think.

Maogp

I still have 3 Dreamcast, 2 pal and 1 NTSC.
Jet set radio, Soul Calibur, Msr, Virtua Tennis and Rally 2, Shenmue, ikaruga...the most played games on it. Forever in my heart. Beautiful console.

Kokoloko85

I love the Dreamcast. Such nostalgia. One of my favourite consoles.

Experiences like playing our first online game with Phantasy Star Online. It blew us away being able to play online, we spoke it on the phone for hours afterwards lol.

Playing Soul Calibur and Dynamite cop 2, Power stone, Samba de Amigo, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Tennnis with friends

Playing amazing single player games like Sky’s of Arcadia, Resident Evil Code Veronica and one of my favourites Jet Set Radio.

I know Sonic Adventure isn’t liked much, but I Love it. The Graphics at the time, music, fast paced fun and the small world to explore.

Also one of my favourite games of all time is Shen Mue... The love

Last edited:
I remember buying GameFan magazine to look at pictures of Sonic Adventure and almost wacking off to them lol , the feeling that Shenmue gave me was incredible , i loved Hydro Thunder , it was the 1st console that games looked like the arcade version.

Ozzie666

Whilst the joy pad is a bit of a disgrace, the aesthetics of the main box, is probably on of my favorite designs. It's sleek, small, simple and a great minimal approach. Great looking machine.

Top Bottom