• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS: RPG's

demi

Razoric said:
list some good GBA RPGs please

Lots to choose from, here's a nice batch to start you off with

Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy I&II
Final Fantasy IV
Tales of Phantasia
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Riviera: The Promised Land
Sword of Mana
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Pokemon Ruby/Emerald/Sapphire
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
Phantasy Star Collection
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Lunar Legend
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Amir0x

Banned
Billy Rygar said:
Almost anything on Demi's list is recommended with the exception of Riviera.

i object to anyone reccomending Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Lunar Legend. I am sorry, that is still not right ;)

also it seems demi lowers his standards for GBA games. why is that *chinscratch*

Amir0x

Banned
demi said:
He wanted GBA RPGs, whether he likes them or not is up to HIM, you fat shmoe

wow you're so thoughtful *eye flutter*

Billy Rygar said:
i didn't play Lunar Legend so I wouldn't know, but FFTA is certainly better than Riviera.

Lunar Legend is the ultimate bastardized version of Lunar: Silver Story Story Complete.

Riviera was very meh for me too, but at least it had lots of loli right :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
i hope FFVI is better than what they did with FFIV. That's still coming out this Christmas, right?
Well the FFIVa was pretty much just the [slightly] messed up WonderSwan version, I have faith in the V and VI ports.

Super Robot Taisen: Orginal generation is comeing out on Gameboy advance soon and it's a stratagy rpg

Avoid Lunar Dragon song at all costs (espcailly if you are a Lunar fan like myself) and wait for the GOOD rpgs to hit soon

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
It got plenty, but you have to wait a bit more. Try some GBA ones, like the list demi provided.

Gigglepoo said:
So why isn't GTA considered an RPG? Why are Final Fantasy games considered to be RPGs? Is Oblivion one?

Because GTA wasn't developed by the Japanese. Only kawaaaaii Japan-kun can make RPG's, it's the law!

Gattsu25

Banned
Infernal Monkey said:
Because GTA wasn't developed by the Japanese. Only kawaaaaii Japan-kun can make RPG's, it's the law!
You sir, have the single most awesome avatar I've ever seen! OpaOpa REJOICE!!!

Edit: **** Neo-GAF for censoring the name of the single best game character ever...had to remove the space for it to even show up

ethelred

AndoCalrissian said:
I'd go with the developer and publisher of the game over you.

I'd go with what the game actually is, how it plays, and the gaming conventions and mechanics that it includes over what the publisher says. Publishers market. The only thing that matters is game mechanics.

Every gaming mechanic that defines what the SOTN-style Castlevanias are is straight out of the dictionary definition for Action RPG, and there's not really any objective standard you can make that will disclude SOTN-style Castlevanias from the Action RPG genre while still including Ys, the Mana series, the Dark Clouds, and Vagrant Story.

It's not just that it has stats, it's that character management -- in the form of equipment, progression of stats and learned/upgradable special abilities, and experience-point-derived level-ups (which are very, very distinctive from the adventure game standard of power-ups) are core to the game, and it's necessary to engage in these mechanics in order to progress through the game. Metroid isn't like that, GTA isn't like that, Devil May Cry isn't. The RPG mechanics pervade every aspect of Castlevania, and that's what makes it an Action RPG.

Gattsu25

Banned
ethelred said:
I'd go with what the game actually is, how it plays, and the gaming conventions and mechanics that it includes over what the publisher says. Publishers market. The only thing that matters is game mechanics.

Every gaming mechanic that defines what the SOTN-style Castlevanias are is straight out of the dictionary definition for Action RPG, and there's not really any objective standard you can make that will disclude SOTN-style Castlevanias from the Action RPG genre while still including Ys, the Mana series, the Dark Clouds, and Vagrant Story.

It's not just that it has stats, it's that character management -- in the form of equipment, progression of stats and learned/upgradable special abilities, and experience-point-derived level-ups (which are very, very distinctive from the adventure game standard of power-ups) are core to the game, and it's necessary to engage in these mechanics in order to progress through the game. Metroid isn't like that, GTA isn't like that, Devil May Cry isn't. The RPG mechanics pervade every aspect of Castlevania, and that's what makes it an Action RPG.
Vagrant Story is a Roguelike :b

Razoric

Banned
demi said:
Lots to choose from, here's a nice batch to start you off with

Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy I&II
Final Fantasy IV
Tales of Phantasia
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Riviera: The Promised Land
Sword of Mana
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Pokemon Ruby/Emerald/Sapphire
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
Phantasy Star Collection
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Lunar Legend
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Hmmm I've always heard you guys talk about the Fire Emblem series. What are they like? How long are the games? Is the Gamecube version any good?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Razoric said:
Hmmm I've always heard you guys talk about the Fire Emblem series. What are they like? How long are the games? Is the Gamecube version any good?
Tactial RPG. ~20 hours per game (good replay value for a RPG though, multiple difficulties, etc). Gamecube is the best version in my opinion.

One thing that people don't like about Fire Emblem is permadeath. If you have a character die, they don't come back. It really dosen't make the game much more challenging, since the AI is predictable, but it can be frustrating to lose a great char after a long battle. Even though it can be frustrating, I like the aspect because it makes you think a bit more before issuing commands.

Razoric said:
Strategy games. ****ing knock your socks off strategy games. The Gamecube game is awesome despite some underwhelming graphics.

EDIT: People who don't like permadeath are pussies so their opinions cannot be trusted because they are the types who bought that 50 cent game.

demi

They're strategy RPGs, like Shining Force. You play on a Grid. You get a set amount of characters (except Sacred Stones, you can make characters), and if they die, that's it. They're gone. So expect to reset a lot.

They're kinda long, depending on if you reset a lot, but if you slosh through, it shouldnt take too long. There's different difficulties i think, I just play on normal.

I don't like the GCN version as much as GBA, I think FE should stay on portable, but the GCN version is pretty good for what it is. Play the GBA ones, and if you like those, grab the GCN one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Are you implying that Sacred Stones doesn't have a set number of characters? Cuz it does.

Amir0x

Banned
Razoric said:
Hmmm I've always heard you guys talk about the Fire Emblem series. 1. What are they like? 2. How long are the games? 3. Is the Gamecube version any good?

1. Strategy RPGs. Great difficulty, easy to learn, very hard to master...
2. 20-30 hours
3. YES

Archie said:
One thing that people don't like about Fire Emblem is permadeath.

Man what losers don't like it? That's one of the best aspects of the games!

demi

Mejilan said:
Are you implying that Sacred Stones doesn't have a set number of characters? Cuz it does.

I can also make them from scratch, unlike the previous entry

Lose a knight? Farm another!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Amir0x said:
yes well those people like weaksauce tactial rpgs like loli infested nippon ichi shovelware.

SUPPORT GOOD SRPGS

BUY FIRE EMBLEM

Razoric

Banned
a few more Fire Emblem Qs...

1) how is the story? lame, epic, what?

2) know of any place that still carries fire emblem GBA (original one) that isnt ebay?

demi

Fire Emblem is kinda hard to come across, but Sacred Stones is $20 at most places, I can pick you up a copy at the nearby KMart if you are hard up on finding a copy (Sacred Stones)

The stories aren't epic, but they aren't lame either. They're tolerable.

apujanata

Amir0x said:
1. Strategy RPGs. Great difficulty, easy to learn, very hard to master...
2. 20-30 hours
3. YES

100% agree. If you like Strategy RPG, you HAVE to try Fire Emblem, the grand-father of all strategy RPG. It is THE game that create the strategy RPG genre, before Shining Series, before FFT.

Jiggy

Razoric said:
Respectively:
-Fantastic in nearly every way (gameplay, control, core concept, difficulty, music, graphics, basically everything except story, which is still great on a small scale--each individual mission/level/map/etc. has a logical situation in place--but not so much on the larger scale spanning the whole game)
-What Amir0x said
-Yes, but not necessarily any moreso than the GBA games, especially the US' first one, so if you're cheap you could just get those

Mejilan

demi said:
I can also make them from scratch, unlike the previous entry

Lose a knight? Farm another!

Eh? There are 3 trainee characters that you can raise into the usual classes, but IIRC, they can't be made from scratch. If you lose or miss recruiting those pathetic trainees, you lose out.

ethelred

Mejilan said:
Eh? There are 3 trainee characters that you can raise into the usual classes, but IIRC, they can't be made from scratch. If you lose or miss recruiting those pathetic trainees, you lose out.

Pathetic? Ross and Ewan are two of the best characters in the game. Ewan is by far the best magic-user.

Mejilan

ethelred said:
Pathetic? Ross and Ewan are two of the best characters in the game. Ewan is by far the best magic-user.

They start off pathetic. Raised, they can become f-cking incredible, no doubt.

Still, I don't recall a create-a-character mode in FE SS for the GBA.

Mejilan

I don't know. You implied that FE SS didn't have a set number of characters, and that you could farm another character if you lost a specific one.

To my knowledge, this isn't true. FE SS, like other FEs, has specific characters with unique stat gains, and if you lose that character, you will not be able to raise another like it.

ethelred

To get things back on topic... I am extremely enthused about the DS's RPG lineup. Standout titles for me include:

Final Fantasy III
Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat
Tales of the Tempest
Magical Vacation 2
Rune Factory
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Lunar Knights
Tingle's Rosey Rupee Land
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Contact
Children of Mana