• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS + Wii Online User Service Idea

Dr.Hadji

Though the DS has Nintendo's Wifi Connection capabilities, often times developers won't take the extra effort and time to include online play. Many developers do include local wireless play. It's hard to find enough people with DS's and enough copies of a game to enjoy local wireless.

And what about games that have already been released that don't have internet play?

Because the Wii can communicate with the DS, isn't it possible for the Wii to "trick" the DS into thinking it's a local wireless DS receiver? It could receieve all the data from the DS and send it online to be communicated out another wii and into another DS.

I realize that communicating active multiplayer data is difficult because of "packages" and how the system breaks down the informaiton. But what about data that isn't active. Here's a list of games that would benefit from this.

Advance Wars - Trading Maps
Jump Super Stars - Trading Decks
Jam with the Band (Band Brothers) - Tranding custom songs
Castlevania DS - trading custom level creations and maybe items

And if the Wii can even STORE this data, isn't it possible to host the data on a website with "hot links" so people can come buy, check out some levels or songs they might like, and then download it through the wii's online connection. Is is like setting up shop for your hard work.

Dr.Hadji

salva said:
this is Nintendo we are talking about. they don't care for online play

They do care about online play. It's just not up and smoothly running yet.

Besides, this is an idea for a service that's user powered.

The new pokemon game has online. The Wii battler has online too, but you play the game locally by using the DS. If the DS pokemon didnt' have online, wouldn't this be my idea plain and simple?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I'm sure this is possible, and the sky is the limit in terms of possibilities between the DS + the Wii. I've thought of dozens of amazing uses myself. The question is, what will Nintendo take the effort of implementing? Hopefully they put some effort in this. Its to their benefit to exploit the success of the DS, abd use both in mutually beneficial ways.

They have the advantage of wifi in every single wii unit, something that Sony and MS don't. They need to exploit this with the DS.

Xzbeat

Basically it would make every game online ? That would be great but this is Nintendo we are talking about.

I got a question that is similar to whats asked above.

What about the games that do have wireless internet play? Can they connect through the Wii and then onto the internet so that someone like me doesn't have to play with my wireless router settings just to play my DS online. Since the Wii can communicate through all those wireless protocals(WAP/WEP/etc etc.) wouldn't make sense to connect the DS to the internet through the Wii?

Dr.Hadji

Slurpy said:
I'm sure this is possible, and the sky is the limit in terms of possibilities between the DS + the Wii. I've thought of dozens of amazing uses myself. The question is, what will Nintendo take the effort of implementing? Hopefully they put some effort in this. Its to their benefit to exploit the success of the DS, abd use both in mutually beneficial ways.

They have the advantage of wifi in every single wii unit, something that Sony and MS don't. They need to exploit this with the DS.

Connectivity was really hard last gen because the GBA and the Cube weren't as powerful, everything had to be wired, and neither had competent internect connections.

I really enjoyed using my GBA for 4 swords, FF:CC, WindWaker, Pac-man VS, and Animal Crossing.

It's pretty clear that most of those games are Nintendo games, and it's pretty clear why.

The DS and Wii have it much easier than before.

Who knows, Nintendo did say new Wii channels will come.

Dr.Hadji

:Motorbass said:
Well countless homebrew projects about tunnelling the DS via PC failed, so I doubt that the Wii makes it possible.

This isn't about homebrew and/or tunneling. There's a difference between trying to crack into the DS's wireless capabilities using a PC, and using the Wii.

The Wii is a Nintendo product that is supported by Nintendo. The Wii can communicate with the DS as it is now because it's a part of the system. The PC can't without trying to find a way around the system.

It's already possible.

Still, it's about writing the code to tunnel games. And noone could do it until now. You can already connect locally (local WiFi and Onlineplay WiFi use different protocols) to a PC and do things like download Demos on the DS or use it as a remote.

Dr.Hadji

:Motorbass said:
Still, it's about writing the code to tunnel games. And noone could do it until now. You can already connect locally (local WiFi and Onlineplay WiFi use different protocols) to a PC and do things like download Demos on the DS or use it as a remote.

I assume code would have to be written.

no one could do it until now? Isn't that what I'm trying to say too?

I heard about some people downloading demos that were available at E3, but they had to have a special router and do all kinds of special things.

When I discuss the possibility of this idea, I'm talking about the ease of use for the mainstream.

And for nonActive data, how hard do you think it would be to write a code that just takes whatever is coming in and send it like a file over the internet? It might be a simple as that or as complicated as using the emulating capabilities of the Wii to emulate a DS.

Top Bottom