• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment, launching January 23

This would be way cooler if they added a backpaddle that connects to the controller that also has an extra bit of battery in it to extend the battery life of the controller. As it is, though, I've invested in extra controllers this generation due to charging and just the general feeling of security I have knowing that I have 5 PS4 controllers among my 2 PS4s. I don't see a downside to this item, and I'm definitely going to be getting one to check it out. Hell, if I used my Xbox more, I'd almost certainly splurge for an Elite controller eventually for the added functionality of the back buttons. I'm actually a fan of this, offering more options for the player to utilize their controller in a way that's more comfortable, either for competitive uses or for disability issues. I don't understand why anyone is complaining about this - if you don't like the idea of it, don't get it. It's an accessory for the accessibility enthusiasts, it's very clearly not meant to attach to every single Dualshock 4 out there.

Hopefully steam adds support for it

Steam already supports the Dualshock 4, and as such this should work as I doubt it requires any connection to the playstation OS (though I am admittedly just pulling this from my ass), just the actual controller firmware. I think that's part of the reason it has an OLED screen and isn't just adjustable via the PS4 Quick Menu; it's for people who utilize Dualshock 4's for PC and mobile gaming.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So let me get this straight.. It's trash because you think it's trash nevermind the objective measurements we have in the aim map video and people actually competing in csgo with a gyroscope.
Eh. I would prefer on console for everyone to play on even ground. If its single player - do whatever.
Over all - i dont care. Steam controller shows that You can do aa batteries and gyro. Even somewhat usable paddles though I dislike paddles too

Tygeezy

Eh. I would prefer on console for everyone to play on even ground. If its single player - do whatever.
Over all - i dont care. Steam controller shows that You can do aa batteries and gyro. Even somewhat usable paddles though I dislike paddles too
So you don't want gyroscope to be optional because people that don't want to use it would be at a disadvantage?

Shmunter

It makes total sense that DS5 will have 2 rear paddles, likely an L4 and R4.

This accessory will allow people to carry over their ds4 to the PS5 should they choose to.

Kokoloko85

Only problem is battery i guess. I welcome the extra buttons, time to map that r3 and l3 lol. Oled seems a bit weird tho

HeresJohnny

Why is Sony wasting time and resources on this? I should be playing a PS5 right now and instead we get this disgustingly stupid plastic scrotum to attach to our goddamned controllers.

EekTheKat

I had no idea how useful paddles were on a controller until I used it, and it's solved some very fringe issues I've had with certain games that require out of the ordinary button combinations.

Paddles solved an interesting problem I had with the PS4 pad - or any pad with the tradition 4 button layout - a certain fighting game actually had some moves that required pressing triangle and X at the same time - something that isn't exactly the smoothest thing to do on a traditional pad.

Mapping a paddle to X solved that problem pretty easily for me (I currently have PS4 pad with paddles).

I can still play without it, but it's a great extra perk when it's available.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

I've played with the remapping functions on the PS4, and it's not a very elegant solution compared to dedicated paddles. Even less so if you play multiple games that require different mappings each time. IIRC it's a one to one button mapping only, and it's OS/system wide resulting in some unpleasant things like having to use R1 as X in menus as well as in the non action portions of the game.

IMHO, L3/R3 functions best as toggles in most scenarios, while L/R paddles function better for more active abilities.

Last edited:

vkbest

Got to admit, kinda tempted to get this so I can play all the Soulsborne games without having to resort to "the claw" to sprint and move the camera around at the same time. As shown in this image below.

WVqZT2T.jpg

That screen in the middle is dumb though, just make it a switch instead.

I can't understand why this is a problem currently, you can remap buttons on the system. You could use the R2 for running for example on Dark Souls

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
rofl ... "superior product" ...
Yeah, if Scuf isn’t superior to this I don’t know what is. Even the Nacon pro controllers are better I also don’t need to convince you on anything because I don’t care if you’re convinced or not. As long as I am thats enough for me

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Nice. I always wanted back buttons. I hate using L3 and R3 since I always feel like I'm damaging the mechanism whenever I try to sprint or melee with them. Also the dodge button in Souls games. You can't use the camera and dodge at the same time without remapping it to another button.
Interesting you say that because I actually damaged one of my DS4's (L3 Stick) running in GOW......I really think they should find a way to make running better on controllers instead of the typical "click the L3 button down", never really liked that or felt it was smooth or intuitive...…..I thought Insomniac did something really unique some years ago by placing the run button on L2, that felt great to me.......

What do you guys think may be good solutions for this dilemma, will this new accessory solve such issues? I know you can already remap PS4 buttons, but what is currently the best solution for running in games on a pad?

Rhhooo all those lights... i love it!

Me to my PS: "bring back the disco"
PS starts all lights on at max turning from red bue yellow green to green yellow blue red in full circle and so does the music from the theme: "you sould be dancing yeahhh".
🤭🤣✨

At least we know they're high at PS! 😂

Last edited:
I could never get used to the back bumpers on my XB Elite controller. Having said that, OLED screens make it neat and I'll probably buy a couple. lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think the idea is very smart. Just not sure why the OLED screen is there. And the price is "okay". Plus it's literally an option for gamers.

I think the idea is very smart. Just not sure why the OLED screen is there. And the price is "okay". Plus it's literally an option for gamers.

Yeah, I feel like the OLED screen could have been made a lot smaller! I will probably grab one or two of these just to play with, worse case scenario I am looking at it as a quirky little accessory that would make a good collectors item if it flops!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Any idea if this will amplify the headphone jack too? I could use a tad bit more life and volume even for my Koss Porta pro...
if not, can someone recommend some in cable or small enough to glue under controller battery amp ?

btw - Koss Porta pro with YAXI earpads is LIFE for gaming and music

EctoPrime

Sony could be planning to sell a cheaper no controller PS5 only package if it confirms that this device makes the Dualshock 4 compatible.

The display is what allows you to map the buttons. If that weren’t present then you would need to do it through the OS.

Them going this route allows you to remap despite the platform aka PC users and things like remote play on phones and stuff.

Shmunter

Got the thing. Decades of muscle memory make this thing almost unusable for me. I’m all over the place concentrating on using it instead of playing the game, can barely aim in MW having to adjust grip etc. lol

Had high expectations, but it’s not for everyone.

Last edited:
Anyone got a line on these. Every store around here is sold out, and everyone I've found online is $170 (MSRP $30) or more. My Razer Raiju died, so playing BF or DMC is suffering until I get one of these.

Last edited:
I bought one on Amazon in Feb for $50, a bit more than retail but I couldn't find it anywhere online or in stores. Sony did not make enough of these things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom