• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EARWOLF launches sister network WOLFPOP (headed by Paul Scheer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EW: Paul Scheer to launch new podcasting network from Earwolf Media

EW said:
In the insular world of podcasting—particularly the even more insular world of comedy podcasting—Earwolf Media looms large. The podcasting network home of Comedy Bang! Bang!, How Did This Get Made?, Professor Blastoff, and many others, and it’s been one of the catalysts (and beneficiaries) of the podcasting revolution of the past few years. Now parent company Midroll Media is doubling down on the medium: Tuesday, it launches a sister network to Earwolf, this one focusing on pop culture and going by the name Wolfpop.

Helping guide the whole project is actor-comedian (and co-host of How Did This Get Made?) Paul Scheer, who will serve as a sort of creative consultant. He helped coordinate the 13 weekly podcasts Wolfpop is launching with (as well as new ones scheduled to launch in the coming months).

Initial lineup:

The initial lineup of shows is a mix of actors, comedians, and journalists talking about movies, stuff that makes them cry, youth culture, and, uh, Sylvester Stallone. The shows:
- Crybabies, hosted by writer Susan Orlean and writer-comedian Sarah Thyre, who will talk to guests about pop culture that makes them cry.
- Maltin on Movies With Baron Vaughn, where film critic Leonard Maltin talks film with movie enthusiast Baron Vaughn.
- Rotten Tomatoes, a film-review podcast with editors from the site.
- Denzel Washington is Greatest Actor of All Time Period, W. Kamau Bell’s look into the actor’s work, co-hosted by Last Week Tonight With John Oliver writer Kevin Avery.
- Reading Aloud With Nate Corddry, which presents live performances of classic literature.
- Happy Sad Confused, an interview show hosted by MTV’s Josh Horowitz.
- OMFG!, where youngsters explain youth culture to thirtysomethings Deanna Raphael and Emily Foster.
- Get Up on This!, Jensen Karp and Matthew Robertson’s look at up-and-coming pop culture.
- Off Camera With Sam Smith, an interview show hosted by the photographer-director.
- Nerd Machine’s Picking Favorites, where Nerd Machine’s Zachary Levi and Tyler Labine talk about their favorite pop culture with a guest.
- I Was There Too, where Matt Gourley talks about key scenes in movies with the people who were there.
- The Sylvester Stallone Show, where Sly (well, Paul Scheer) talks about his career.

Vert boil

Going to have to try most of these. :)

more deets,

PR

Splitsider interview with Sheer

Shows,

The Canon
Film critics Devin Faraci (Badass Digest) and Amy Nicholson (LA Weekly) have a weekly conversation about a movie: is it "canon" or not? They will put it up to fan vote at the end of the show and then the legacy of each film will be officially decided forevermore. The first episode applies The Canon test to the Martin Scorsese classic, Goodfellas.

Crybabies
Susan Orlean is one of the great writers of literary non-fiction, well known for her books and articles in The New Yorker. She joins writer and actress Sarah Thyre (Strangers with Candy), to host Crybabies, where they tackle the things in pop culture that make themselves and their guests cry. Upcoming guests include Lizz Winstead, Christopher Guest, and Neko Case.

Denzel Washington is Greatest Actor of All Time Period
Long-time collaborators comedian W. Kamau Bell (Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell) and comedian Kevin Avery (Last Week Tonight with John Oliver) examine a shared belief that Denzel Washington is the greatest actor of all time, PERIOD! Each week they get into a Denzel movie to prove their point and bring you up to date on Denzel news.

Get Up On This
Jensen Karp (a/k/a rapper “Hot Karl”) and Matthew Robinson (The Invention of Lying) help you school that hipster at the coffee shop by letting you in on what’s going to be big, before it is. Murs and Blink-182 lead singer Mark Hoppus are upcoming guests.

Happy Sad Confused
Josh Horowitz (MTV News, MTV After Hours) gets candid with A-listers and Hollywood legends like Jeremy Renner, Michael Fassbender, and even Woody Allen, on Happy Sad Confused. He approaches his guests with a relaxed humor, and doesn’t finish until he asks them to answer a random question picked out of his Indiana Jones hat. These conversations are nothing like your typical celebrity interview. Josh’s first guest will be Neil Patrick Harris, and other upcoming guests include Hugh Jackman, Jon Stewart and Lisa Kudrow.

I Was There Too
The singular mind of Matt Gourley (Superego, Drunk History, James Bonding) has been tapped to uncover the stories behind the most classic scenes from film and television, painted so vividly it’s like you were there when they happened. Of course, you weren’t, and neither was Matt. But the the people he interviews–like the referee from Karate Kid–were. Upcoming guests include Paul F. Tompkins (There Will Be Blood), Doug Benson (Michael Jackson’s Captain EO), and Greg Proops (Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace).

Maltin on Movies w/ Baron Vaughn
Beloved film critic Leonard Maltin joins the podcasting world in a weekly series that looks at some of his favorite films—and spotlights some that may have flown under your radar. He’s joined by actor and comedian Baron Vaughn (Fairly Legal, Conan, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon) for a lively discussion of film that will surely make you hit up your Netflix queue.

Nerd Machine’s Picking Favorites
This show explores the idea that everybody has a “Favorite Something Something.” Each week Nerd Machine founders David Coleman and Zachary Levi (Chuck, Thor: The Dark World) join Tyler Labine (Hulu’s Deadbeat, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil) and stand up comedian Razzle to sit down with a very cool guest, discussing and judging their favorites.

Off Camera with Sam Jones
Photographer and director Sam Jones created the show out of his passion for the long form conversational, and intimate, interview. He approaches his guests with a warm manner that comes from his experience as a successful portrait photographer, building a comfortable rapport with his subjects. Matt Damon will be Sam’s first guest with Wolfpop. Past guests include Martin Short, Judd Apatow, Sarah Silverman, and Robert Downey Jr.

OMFG!
If OK! Magazine reads more like a “who’s that?” than a who’s who, if you have zero clue what #ILY stands for, if you wonder why that cute lesbian keeps getting into trouble, only to find it’s Justin Bieber, then you need a shot of OMFG! From the world of Hello Giggles, Deanna Raphael (FunnyorDie, HGTV) and Emily Foster (Love You, Mean It with Whitney Cummings, Talking Dead) are in their 30s but are trying to stay relevant in a world that’s constantly is changing. They recruit and interrogate the youth of America to explain their dating rituals, communication practices, and the difference between a Miley and a Bieber. It’s pop culture Botox!

Reading Aloud with Nate Corddry
Nate Corddry (Mom, Children’s Hospital) loves the written word. But he also loves the spoken word! So he brought them both together in a single podcast. It’s a literary variety show of sorts. Reading Aloud presents some of the best live renditions of some of the most interesting works of literature of our time. Singer/songwriter Aimee Mann is the first guest, and actor Steven Weber is on an upcoming episode.

Rotten Tomatoes
RottenTomatoes.com is the singular resource on the web for movie reviews. That’s why Wolfpop recruited Editor-in-Chief Matt Atchity and Senior Editor Grae Drake to bring their specially-calibrated Tomatometers into the studio and deliver the results for all the new theatrical and home video releases.

The Sylvester Stallone Show
The least expendable of The Expendables, Sylvester Stallone, draws podcasting’s first blood with The Sylvester Stallone Show. The show is a daily Q&A moderated by Paul Scheer, where Mr. Stallone will get up close and personal with fans as he takes their questions for a candid look back at his career and what’s ahead.

Bacon

Good lord, 13 podcasts just to start. That on top of all their earwolf podcasts is a lot. I'll wait for the cream to rise to the top, no way am I going to subscribe to 13 podcasts lol.

I hope they get RSS feeds up soon.

None of them come up in a search on Podcast Addict. I had to manually download the first ep of I Was There Too.

Baroni9

Listened to Maltin on Movies and I Was There Too and enjoyed both of them. I think I'll take I Was There Too on a guest by guest basis, but Maltin is definetly going in my regular podcast rotation.

I'm interested to see what the Stallone podcast actually is, I assume it's just Nick Kroll as Sly answering questions, but a daily podcast of that seems like a hell of a commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom