• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Boon, you are sitting on a goldmine. Why not mine it?

L Thammy

JC9PyKo.png

Hence the word sitting. Duh!

Shaolin Monks was a really good game and i remember it selling well.

I'm not sure why they didn't continue it as an action/adventure series. God of War was really popular at the time and it rode on that game's spotlight like a lot of 3rd person action games at the time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This concept version of Scorpion:

Featuring these kinds of Asian environments, since Scorpion is/was a Japanese warrior (from the cool AC fan art ideas)

Using the gameplay style of the Arkham games for standard combat: http://youtu.be/c9-81c-pkRI?t=56s

With the ability for Scorpion to go into sword-fighting mode, with MG:Rising-esque mechanics: http://youtu.be/y2ttOXFsS8c?t=16s

Have it be about the Shirai-Ryu vs. the Lin Kuei. No cheese or comic relief, just a dirty, serious story about the rival clans.

Please make this.
I would play this. As long as we're only dreaming, it could also have two stories: A Shirai-Ryu campaign where you play as Scorpion, and a Lin Kuei campaign where you play as Sub-Zero. Both would cover the same span of time, but from different points of view. It could be a prequel story, ending with Scorpion's death. Then there could be a bonus scenario at the end of the Lin Kuei campaign showing Sub-Zero's transformation into Noob Saibot.

I'd also settle for an HD Shaolin Monks port.

Fox Mulder

Just because some side games on the ps1 and n64 sucked doesn't mean they should never try again.

it's an over the top universe with a wide cast of characters that could certainly be explored with other genres.

ItIsOkBro

"Goldmine". .. yeah right. :p

Mortal Kombat sells, there's no doubt. But here are two small bits that many seem to forget:

#1. Shaolin Monks didn't sold as well as expected. Heck it sold as much as Mythologies (a little over a million across two platforms), and considering Mythologies wasn't well received by people and the media...it kinda showed them that there's not much interest. Even around here SM went mostly ignored outside the "lttp" praise started receiving recently. The PSP port, Fire & Ice (sequel starring Sub and Scorpion) were canned simply because it weren't priorities.

#2. When WB learned that MK was for sale; they bid $30 million first because of their past experience with it through movies and other media. They thought others would bid later so they had extra money just in case. Sale ended...no one else bid. It surprised them because they thought MK would be a "goldmine" that others would love to "mine".

Basically, it's cool to love MK now. The reality is that not many cared to express their love towards it until recently (the games were selling milions anyway) and any spinoff would've been put aside aside as "lol MK"...like with Shaolin Monks back then. So they're cautious. Hopefully soon will see something.

What a bunch of crap in this post tbh.

#1. "I was involved with the Shaolin Monks game, and that actually did well." ~Ed Boon

#2. Midway games was in some serious debt, that is not a reflection of MK's worth. Hell, they even owed Warner Bros. 8 million dollars and WB waived they debt (obviously, they'd be paying themselves). I don't know how it works when it comes to paying off their other debts.

And it's always been cool to express love for MK...just not as a competitive fighting game. Until MK9.

kuYuri

These things take time. MK only got rebooted just about 3 years ago now and if you want some kind of attempt at using MK characters in AAA Arkham/Assassin's Creed style games, it's going to take some time for that to happen.

MK mythologies was great, never beat did that game but yeah its great if you're a masochist.

Fujin was quite the motherfucker

While the MK series is a veritable classic franchise, I really don't see the potential for it beyond the core series much.

They've tried other things with it and failed miserably.

Plus what other franchises would it work in? An FPS? No! A Racer? No! An RPG? Not really.

The only other genre I could see being viable would be an action title. Maybe a beat em up.

No! Boon license Ninja Scroll and do your new licensing trick you clever old dog you. Very few people have longevity like this legend.

Ninja Scroll the Fighting Game powered by NetherRealm. All us old kids will come home to roost. MK can wait...

Boney

Banned
One of the MK's also had a beat em up in it. I wanna say Armaggedon?

Was pretty crap as well.

Most of the franchise games are sub par as well, so I hardly think a spin-off would fare better, sure WB is in charge now but still

Grinchy

Banned
The thought of a Scorpion/Sub-Zero/Reptile game in the style of a Devil May Cry or Dark Souls game makes my boy parts hard.

They've tried other things with it and failed miserably.
And when did they tried "other things"? That's right, 3 generations ago on PS1. Xbox wasn't even a thing back then. This is the "main team" of Mythologies:
The main design team was located at Midway's Chicago offices and consisted of five artists, two programmers and a sound designer.
Today, you can't even create an indie title with that workforce.

CamHostage

Agree, it's time to try again. There were some stinkers in the MK spin-off pile, but Shaolin Monks was good stuff (shame about Fire & Ice.) Especially with the open download market and the wealth of developers open to new business, it seems like you could do a lot of interesting games with MK characters and maybe box up a few of them in a collection if the initiative works out. The movie reboot is in development limbo, maybe they should be looking for other avenues to carry the name forward.

fernoca

What a bunch of crap in this post tbh.

#1. "I was involved with the Shaolin Monks game, and that actually did well." ~Ed Boon

#2. Midway games was in some serious debt, that is not a reflection of MK's worth. Hell, they even owed Warner Bros. 8 million dollars and WB waived they debt (obviously, they'd be paying themselves). I don't know how it works when it comes to paying off their other debts.

And it's always been cool to express love for MK...just not as a competitive fighting game. Until MK9.
Crap were? Yeah I forgot to add "/rant" at the end (was on my phone :p). but ..

#1. Sales were a big factor. They talked about this over the years. Shaolin Monks ended doing a little over a million (announced nearly 2 years after the game was released, and their expectations were of 1 million during the first year). It did well, but not as well as expected much less to greenlight a sequel and allocate budget so fast, so soon. Midway back then was planning a new MK game per year, but the sales of MK fighters were not enough to cover their other problems and loses and the sales of SM weren't high enough for them to be sure they get profits that fast. They still knew the game was well received and reviewed well, which is why they had small-ass teams working on PSP port and a sequel. But never was a priority, much less under their problems. The team, that made it ended been sold to THQ...and we all know what happened to THQ.

For this one it is harder to find "sources" (aside them announcing shipping over one million for Shaolin Monks in 2007 -game was released in 2005-), because many of this things were mentioned through Twitter, forums and other posts over the years.

#2. Was a little better documented. From the moment that WB bid on MK on 2009, to the moment that it was announced that WB was the sole bidder of it. They later talked about the money they saved from that, investing it on the development team, giving them an extra year to work with, moving them to a better place and even gaining profits if the buyout after the first month sales of the 2011 game.

Again, my point is not about the quality of MK or anything related to that. I think I've shown my love for MK a ton over the years...but about the idea that it is a "goldmine". No other publisher saw it, hence no one else bid. Many didn't cared about MK or spinoffs, outside the MK fans which according to many would fall as "casuals". Heck, for a good amount of time I was laughed at, because for some reason liking MK disqualified me into talking about other fighting games. XD

In general, I'd love more spinoffs and more games. Heck, one spinoff a year, a fighting game the next...and a new movie, and TV series, and more stuff. The reality is that is not as easy for MK. Is the same reason they've had a hard time getting a budget to make a new movie over the years. They've been trying to make a new movie since 2000. They were even set to start filming it in around 2005 with the original cast...in Louisiana...right before Hurricane Katrina. But after Annihilation, and the ups and downs of the franchise many were and are wary.

Now, a MK game in the vein of God of War..with the visual quality, sound, budget...and gore of it, may have no problems selling. But again, it comes about how and when to fund said game.

Top Bottom