• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Fries speaks to UAT

Bishman

Good interview. I saw him speak at the tech forum at UAT. He is one lucky guy how things managed to fall in place for him. Read the entire interview here.

UAT: Can you explain that "something else?"

EF: Let me go back to when Sony took over [the market share]. When Sony took [the market] from Nintendo, there were two things [that they did]. One, they built a better product than Nintendo, and the main thing they actually did better than Nintendo was not a hardware thing—although the hardware was quite good (about twice as good in performance as the Nintendo 64). What they really did well there is [that] they opened up the platform much more to the third parties, and they had greater third-party support.

The number two that they had was they switched the world from cartridges to CDs, and that actually changed the economics for all these publishers. When you had to deal with cartridges—and Nintendo was very religious about cartridges—you had to decide long in advance before you release your product how many you were going to manufacture. And if you guessed wrong on either side, you lost. If you made too many, you're stuck with inventory; if you made too few, the reorder time was huge compared to a CD, and so you were screwed—never mind that the cartridges cost a lot of money on top of that. By introducing the spinning disc, Sony really changed the business model. Those two things combined are the reason they took over, as far as I'm concerned.

So if you're going to make a [leap] again, what's that other thing you're going to do? It could be something like online distribution of content where you don't go to stores anymore [and] you download it directly to your machine. But nobody seems to be building a machine oriented around that. If you're going to do that, you need more than the 20-gigabyte hard disc. [There's] that and changing the royalty model around a console; those are probably the two "something else's" that somebody could do if they wanted to be aggressive.

Nintendo's saying that they're going to have a revolution the next time around. Nobody knows—and I've talked to everybody in the game business—whether they really do have a revolution or not. In a way, I think that's smarter thinking than chasing what the competitors are doing. If could really introduce something that is very different and original, then at least you have a chance. If you just chase, you're always number two by definition.

UAT: When consulting, what would you advise publishers on in terms of publishing games on different systems?

EF: For Western publishers, nobody asks for my advice on that because they all feel the same way, which is … fully supporting Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3. They don't really know what's going to happen in the war between the two, and they don't really care. They like fact that there are two warring platforms, and that has some benefits to them in their negotiations with each of the individual platforms. So they're going to support both and see what happens.

Nintendo … I think everybody is kind of confused by right now. Publishers don't know what to think about Nintendo—whether this Revolution thing is even going to happen, whether it's going to be cool or not, or whether Nintendo's just going to stop making consoles in the living room and just become a software publisher. Right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of information from Nintendo telling people what to do, so everybody's very, very wait-and-see on the Nintendo platform—including me.

Japanese publishers are very different by publisher, so it's hard to put them all in one bucket. I think Konami is the most aggressively Western of the publishers. Many of the other Japanese publishers behave pretty similarly [and] they have similar attitudes. Many of the other publishers want something to be true that's not true, basically. They want there to be a real difference between the two platforms, so they want the audience to be different and then they like to design special games for each platform that speaks to that unique audience. But it's not true. When you go out and look at the audience who buys PS2 versus Xbox—or who will buy PS3 versus Xbox 360—it's competition for the same people.

Like I said, the Japanese publishers are in a very tricky position because their home market is shrinking. They know they have to go overseas [and] they have some difficulty adapting their content. (I'm just speaking really broadly, so that doesn't apply to everybody and every situation). They know [that] they have to make their content be more acceptable in the West, but the vast majority of income still comes from Japan. And in Japan, it's a one-console market: PlayStation. You'd say, "Why don't they just go and do the thing that every other publisher does, which is support both and see what happens?" It just seems so obvious. The reason is [that] they risk pissing off Sony in Japan where Sony really controls the market. They have a difficult balancing act that they have to do. They just have to placate both sides.

UAT: If there were one thing you could say to each hardware manufacturer about their new products, what would you say to each one?

EF: In the case of Sony and Microsoft, I think that I would say the same thing. It's pretty clear that the battle is not going to be so much about hardware, because the hardware is pretty similar between the two. The battle is about software, whether that's something like [Xbox] Live or games. That's where I would invest my money. But you see somewhat the opposite behavior. They've actually shrunk the first-party group somewhat since I left [Microsoft], and I believe at Sony there's actually pressure on the number of titles that they're producing as their first-party [software]. To me, if there are exclusive titles that are readily available, that could be one of the big drivers to why someone's going to buy one. So I would encourage both of them to spend more making first-party exclusive games.

In the case of Nintendo, I think they really get that. Their titles define their hardware. The Nintendo DS is outselling the PSP—which is a vastly superior piece of hardware—because of a first-party software title called Nintendogs, which is very original and creative. You see stuff like that [and] it'll drive everything that the business is about. I don't think Nintendo's advice needs to be in that area.

I think Nintendo really needs to be clear with both consumers and publishers about what the Revolution is—whether it's real or not—and they need to get that information out. Otherwise, there's just not going to be an opportunity for them. The stuff about, "We don't want to introduce these ideas because we're afraid people might steal them;" the PS3 and Xbox 360 are set—they can't go back and redesign that hardware. I don't even believe that argument. So either they don't have any revolutionary ideas, or for some reason they're just being really coy about it. I think they're doing a lot of damage to themselves right now by being coy about it.

I think Nintendo's always underestimated the importance of having full support from all the third parties. They were keeping the third parties down [and] Sony freed them. And yeah, they [the third parties] put out a lot of crappy stuff. That's why Nintendo was keeping them down. They were afraid that they were going to put out a lot of crappy stuff—which is what they did—but it didn't destroy the business. If anything, it made the business stronger because they put out a lot of good stuff, too.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Very nice read. I agree with everything accept that Nintendo shouldn't be so afraid with releasing the info. The Playstation 3 controller still isn't final. Nintendo has been traumatized in the past, so it's understandable what they're doing. Besides, it's not like it's too late to release the info. I think the maximum you can wait is, like, 6-8 months before launch. Consumers should know everything about Revolution at that time.

Redbeard

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
Very nice read. I agree with everything accept that Nintendo shouldn't be so afraid with releasing the info. The Playstation 3 controller still isn't final. Nintendo has been traumatized in the past, so it's understandable what they're doing. Besides, it's not like it's too late to release the info. I think the maximum you can wait is, like, 6-8 months before launch. Consumers should know everything about Revolution at that time.

Surely the ones making the games should know? It doesn't seem like they do.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Redbeard said:
No, I think they already know. Jarrod said something, like, Capcom and stuff already knew what the DS was while we knew absolutely nothing.

Redbeard

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
No, I think they already know. Jarrod said something, like, Capcom and stuff already knew what the DS was while we knew absolutely nothing.

Ed Fries said:
Nintendo … I think everybody is kind of confused by right now. Publishers don't know what to think about Nintendo—whether this Revolution thing is even going to happen, whether it's going to be cool or not, or whether Nintendo's just going to stop making consoles in the living room and just become a software publisher. Right now there doesn't seem to be a lot of information from Nintendo telling people what to do, so everybody's very, very wait-and-see on the Nintendo platform—including me.

Bebpo

Banned
Pretty good interview but his optimism about original games selling well because gamers want original and fresh experiences...is kinda doubtful. I mean he mentions how Psychonauts is a very high scoring game near the end, yet the game sold really poorly :\

Redbeard said:
This is the main problem. Maybe some of the greatest partners are aware of Revolution's specs, but it seems Nintendo is yet again alienating the majority of third parties not giving them the infos. And I'd say it's quite stupid: If the "revolution" is in the controller, and if its really so astounding, well it's nothing that can't be reproduced by Sony and MS and put on the market after the consoles are out. I agree with Fries about the fact that all this secrecy is already hurting them.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
UAT: There are a lot of good things coming from it [Xbox 360] like the Xbox Live service being two-tier, but some things are questionable [removable hard drive, stopping production of the Xbox]. What do you think of all that?

EF: There were a lot of things that I was pushing for that were controversial at the time but they ended up looking at. Like the backward-compatibility issue for example; [it] probably wouldn't have happened if it weren't for me having said [something]. The spectator mode [Xbox Live feature with updated online ticker scores, viewable highlights of players' games, tournaments and tradable trophies] is a cool new feature that is going to come into the product. XNA [cost-cutting software development tools on Microsoft platforms] [was key] in trying to get some leverage between what was happening on the PC and what was happening on the Xbox. I was pushing for all of those things. They were controversial [and I'm] glad they listened. A lot of developers pushed for more memory in the box, and they ended up listening—going from 256 [megabytes of RAM] to 512—which is good.

In my experience in getting in big battles—and I've had a bunch of them where we were trying to take over the place to be number one—we had to do two things every single time. One was [that] we had to build a better product, and number two was that there had to be something else helping. I don't think you could do it unless those two things are true. Just building a better product isn't enough, and just having something else isn't enough.

In the case of [Microsoft] Excel for example, there's no question in my mind that we built a better product. But we also got to take advantage of the fact that users were moving from DOS to Windows. And Lotus really dragged their feet on putting out a Windows version. If they had been more aggressive about putting out a Windows version—even if it were inferior to our product—they still would have maintained their lead. But they didn't, so they shot themselves in the foot. In the battle with WordPerfect, not only did we have to build a better product, but we [also] got to take advantage of the fact that we as a company offered a suite of products and they only offered one. So we really had an insurmountable challenge to them. Ultimately they tried to team up with Lotus, but the egos of the two companies got in the way. By the time they did something, it was too late. If WordPerfect and 1-2-3 got together at the right time, there's no way Microsoft could have beat that. And if they had aggressively pursued Windows, there's no way we could have beat them—even if we had built a great product.

So you have to apply that now to what's happening in the console [wars] and say, "Do they have a better product? Do they have that 'something else' that's going to help them?" I leave that to your readers.

Intresting, without Fries pushing the issue, X360 would have no BW compatiblity...

Ruzbeh

Banned
Bebpo said:
Pretty good interview but his optimism about original games selling well because gamers want original and fresh experiences...is kinda doubtful. I mean he mentions how Psychonauts is a very high scoring game near the end, yet the game sold really poorly :\
Well, Psychonauts lacks the universal appeal that Nintendogs has.

Maybe Psychonauts needed Halo 2 kind of marketing or something?
Redbeard said:
Well, that's kinda vague. I still think most developers know plenty about the Rev.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
From publishers and developers reactions all around, I'd say a very, very small elite of devs know something about rev, instead.
No, yeah, I think you're right. Nevermind. I only know that I want to play Mario 128 and next-gen Zelda. :lol

tetsuoxb

I like Ed Fries, and I agree 100% with what he said about Japan.... HOWEVER, I think the stuff he has been taking credit for lately is going to burn quite a few bridges. Making himself look like the brains behind the xbox (and subsequently making the organization seem braindead without him) may do wonders for his consulting fee in the short-term, but wont be helpful to him in the long run I think.

PizzaFarmer

Kleegamefan said:
Intresting, without Fries pushing the issue, X360 would have no BW compatiblity...
I know for a fact that Ed had nothing to do with the BW compatibility decision.

There is a small list of people that pushed that through. He isn't in that list. In fact, the entire thing happened after he left. It is rude to take credit for others' hard work.

Bishman

Spider_Jerusalem said:
From publishers and developers reactions all around, I'd say a very, very small elite of devs know something about rev, instead.
I agree. Hopefully... we hear some news from publishers and developers in the next 3 months or so.

Top Bottom