• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 340 reviews (Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Pokémon Sword and Shield)

Bullet Club

SL3Rzun.jpg

zbPO0v3.jpg

Hype previews Diablo IV, Snow, Unto The End, Paradise Killer, Creaks, and ScourgeBringe.

Hype Roundup has a quick shifty at, Grounded, Everwild, Tell Me Why, Last Stop, and Street Fighter V: Champion Edition.

Features include cover star Overwatch 2, An Audience with Blizzard's assistant director Aaron Keller, and how an all-star musical lineup soundtracked Halo 2

Reviews

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 7
Pokémon Sword and Shield - 7
COD: Modern Warfare - 6
Lonely Mountains: Downhill - 7
Planet Zoo - 8
Monomals - 8
Manifold Garden - 8
Concrete Genie - 6
Superliminal - 8
Mosaic - 3

The Making of Sayanara Wild Hearts.
Studio Profile visits 11 Bit Studios.
Time Extend looks back on The Sims.
The Long Game is still playing the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2.

Saber

Gold Member
Can't say I'm not surprised. I mean, COD 6 and Trashmon 7? Thats...something, to say the least.

But on the other hand, we have the guy who just say he lost the enthusiasm to do what is supposed to be his work. Be strong "warrior" :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

Handel

Going to mark down DS as a 4 max from Edge, lowering it's metacritic by a point. That's being generous.

RAIDEN1

Good to see Edge not swayed by all the reviewers out there going all out in praise for Fallen Order...not to say it is the worst of the worst...but its certainly no Force Unleashed 3...

Stuart360

Good to see Edge not swayed by all the reviewers out there going all out in praise for Fallen Order...not to say it is the worst of the worst...but its certainly no Force Unleashed 3...
First off, a 7 is not a bad score, and assuming Edge are the same as they used to be years ago (dont read them anymore), a 7 in Edge is like a 9 from most other reviewers.

RAIDEN1

First off, a 7 is not a bad score, and assuming Edge are the same as they used to be years ago (dont read them anymore), a 7 in Edge is like a 9 from most other reviewers.
Yeah it is a 7/10 game from my perspective ...even though admittedly I have not played it, but from what I have seen, and heard of the game mechanics (long back-tracking etc..) dark souls esque combat etc....for me it isn't uncharted in space hence why I would only check it out if it came out on PS+ a year from now...

Yeah it is a 7/10 game from my perspective ...even though admittedly I have not played it, but from what I have seen, and heard of the game mechanics (long back-tracking etc..) dark souls esque combat etc....for me it isn't uncharted in space hence why I would only check it out if it came out on PS+ a year from now...
But it's a 7/10 for you? Jesus.

I haven't played System Shock 2. Going to give it a 4.

Allocating scores to games you haven't even played is absurd.

Last edited:

chemspida

Banned
I dont see how a 7 can be considered a bump. After playing through the whole game i would say 7 is pretty fair. If it was 9 or 10 then i would agree.
In that case it should've been a 6. I mean they are known for attention grabbing lower scores but Nintendo games always seem to escape.

JimboJones

Are Some people actually salty about Pokemon getting a slightly higher score than a Call of Duty game of all games?

In that case it should've been a 6. I mean they are known for attention grabbing lower scores but Nintendo games always seem to escape.

Yoshi's Woolly World [6]
Pikachue Detective 6
Pokken Tournament 6
EVER OASIS 3DS 6
1 2 switch 6
METROID PRIME: FEDERATION FORCE 6
Samus Returns 6
CODE NAME: S.T.E.A.M. 6
HYRULE WARRIORS 6
EXCITE TRUCK 6
WARIO LAND: SHAKE IT! 6
THE WONDERFUL 101 6
MARIO STRIKERS CHARGED 6
LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER 5

Last edited:

Codes 208

Are Some people actually salty about Pokemon getting a slightly higher score than a Call of Duty game of all games?

Yoshi's Woolly World [6]
Pikachue Detective 6
Pokken Tournament 6
EVER OASIS 3DS 6
1 2 switch 6
Samus Returns 6
HYRULE WARRIORS 6
EXCITE TRUCK 6
THE WONDERFUL 101 6
MARIO STRIKERS CHARGED 6
LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER 5
“No, stop disproving my point and liking things i hate!!”

chemspida

Banned

Yoshi's Woolly World [6]
Pikachue Detective 6
Pokken Tournament 6
EVER OASIS 3DS 6
1 2 switch 6
Samus Returns 6
HYRULE WARRIORS 6
EXCITE TRUCK 6
THE WONDERFUL 101 6
MARIO STRIKERS CHARGED 6
LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER 5
Skyward Sword - 10/10

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Edge magazine fucking sucks. Have never ever bought a single issue and never will because they must all be either hardcore Nintendo/kiddie fans or 70 year olds because so many games they review are always either underrated or overrated as opposed to the majority of them being just right.

drotahorror

Lol.

It's a 7 or 8 for sure, but I've beaten the game. It's a solid game and easily one of my favorite SW games, though I haven't played them all that's for sure. And I'm definitely not some SW nut, I haven't even seen all the movies..

What a joke though, rating a game you haven't played. You should apply for a job as a reviewer, I'm pretty sure that's how plenty do their reviews since they're not competent enough to even finish a game for their own job.

Off topic but I have to chime in and say I enjoyed Code Name S.T.E.A.M. immensely and thought it was a brilliant tactics package all round, granted I'm no tactics connoisseur. I loved the artstyle, characters, premise and soundtrack as well, though I suppose the long turn times pre-patch hurt it quite a lot.

A real shame that game bombed so hard, feels like it suffered the fate that Fire Emblem dodged with Awakening.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Clarification - Mainline Nintendo games.
Sounds a tiny bit like goalpost moving to me but whatever, believe whatever ya want.

Off topic but I have to chime in and say I enjoyed Code Name S.T.E.A.M. immensely and thought it was a brilliant tactics package all round, granted I'm no tactics connoisseur. I loved the artstyle, characters, premise and soundtrack as well, though I suppose the long turn times pre-patch hurt it quite a lot.

A real shame that game bombed so hard, feels like it suffered the fate that Fire Emblem dodged with Awakening.

It was decent from what I played of in the demo never got around to getting the full game. But yeah a shame it bombed would have been a nice side series, would have been nice to see it get a chance on console.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

I though it was a mediocre for a tatic "Fire Emblem" eske game. Things like Shinning Force do its job way better, without resorting in a very limited steam mechanic.

Psykodad

Banned
Yeah snowflake insisted only reviewers who finished the game could review it but Edge reported they found it too boring to finish.
The snowflake who tried to get hits by ranting on twitter about how he wouldn't review such a boring game, then saying his review would come in this issue afterall, only to ultimately not publish it.

Good look on Edge, even if they would've given DS a 2/10.

Enjay

Banned
I don't remember any of that. Just remember him saying DS was too boring to finish and it was required to be finished before reviewing but tbh I didn't really seek any of it out.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Nope, never said it would be in this issue either.

What he does say, when answering a letter asking about it is as follows...

‘Feeling pressured to rush our way through a game that’s clearly at its best when given room to breathe surely coloured our opinion of it. We’ll go back to it eventually and once we’ve delivered all of Norman’s parcels, we’ll deliver our verdict’

Clarissa

Banned
In
Lol.

It's a 7 or 8 for sure, but I've beaten the game. It's a solid game and easily one of my favorite SW games, though I haven't played them all that's for sure. And I'm definitely not some SW nut, I haven't even seen all the movies..

What a joke though, rating a game you haven't played. You should apply for a job as a reviewer, I'm pretty sure that's how plenty do their reviews since they're not competent enough to even finish a game for their own job.
I don't watch star wars and I'm enjoying Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order too. Its a solid 8 for me.

Psykodad

Banned
Nope, never said it would be in this issue either.

What he does say, when answering a letter asking about it is as follows...

‘Feeling pressured to rush our way through a game that’s clearly at its best when given room to breathe surely coloured our opinion of it. We’ll go back to it eventually and once we’ve delivered all of Norman’s parcels, we’ll deliver our verdict’
Pretty sure that's what was being said in one of the discussions here at the time, but since I was on a media blackout, I had to take their word for it.
Not gonna be bothered if it was just bs.

Still, "feeling pressured to rush through a game" is a terrible excuse, since they had 3 weeks, the game can be beaten in like 35 hours on normal or lower difficulty and he got paid to do it.

Anywau, I'm not gonna derail this thread further.

Last edited:

Kagero

These are the asshats that refused to review death stranding because they thought they were too good for it right.? Man I wish I could go in to work and tell my boss I didn’t want to work on a project because i felt it didn’t deserve my attention.

Well to be fair, Edge refused to review Death Stranding because they were required to finish the game before reviewing, and if you only review games based on half of it, the first half of Sword/Shield isn't that bad.

Last edited:
I though it was a mediocre for a tatic "Fire Emblem" eske game. Things like Shinning Force do its job way better, without resorting in a very limited steam mechanic.

While I did bring up FE, I don't think CNS is similar enough to be considered Fire Emblemesque.

It's been really long so the details are hazy but I remember squad loadouts were interesting (each character has meaningful abilities to use and synergize with) and having aiming be down to your actual aim as opposed to RNG was a nice touch. Level design also tickled my brain with all the verticality and only having actual line of sight to inform your decisions.

Regrettably, I have never played any of the Shining Force games but I watched a bit of the first game on YouTube and I think it looks closer to FE than CNS, just based on the number of units you manage.

It was decent from what I played of in the demo never got around to getting the full game. But yeah a shame it bombed would have been a nice side series, would have been nice to see it get a chance on console.

I think the full game got a lot more interesting just because levels were sufficiently different from one another as you progressed and the units that you'd get later on are similarly diverse in abilities.

I got my hard copy at around half price years ago...don't think it's ever been discounted on eshop.

P.S. I'm one of those who enjoyed the little Mecha side missions that occur a few times in the campaign, they were a nice little riot. The vocal theme song is a hoot too!

Top Bottom