• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electronic Arts to buy 2K Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

Gamespot Reports:

"Pachter also evaluated the chances of the company being acquired, broken up and sold in pieces, or being taken over by activist investors. While he described all three scenarios as "unlikely," he did suggest that the publisher's currently unprofitable 2K Sports operation might be an acquisition target for its fiercest rival, Electronic Arts. According to Pachter, EA is the most likely buyer for 2K Sports because few others would be willing to go head-to-head with the Madden NFL publisher in the sports genre."

Rumor or not, 2K Games is going in the tank. I just hope EA doesn't buy the Grand Theft Auto franchise.

bumpkin

Ken K in the Fresh!!! said:
if the acquisition goes thru, hopefully it will improve ea sports titles

/wishful thinking
Are you kidding? It's more bullshit on their part to make sure we don't have a choice but to buy their trash. If EA buys 2K, they'll fire everyone and then gloat that they're now the only sports game maker in town.

****ing asshats.

retardboy

Yeah, if they do buy them, they'll just fire everyone. They already have their own development teams. No need for any more. Watever. Haha, 2k Sports is still unprofitable? I thought they were doing okay. Smart move by Sega then.

Gigglepoo

Anyone else worried about GTA?

If Take Two is going in the tank (and they are) they may pull an Acclaim within a few years. Scary...

Ranger X

Gigglepoo said:
Anyone else worried about GTA?

If Take Two is going in the tank (and they are) they may pull an Acclaim within a few years. Scary...

I'm obviously scared but are 2Ksports the main revenu stream for Take Two? I don't know for sure but i doubt that.

Core407

Banned
Microsoft NEEDS to buy Visual Concepts

Gigglepoo: What is there to worry about? GTA is where Take 2 makes all their money so expect them to be back to normal sooner rather than later.

Zep

Banned
Core407 said:

Gigglepoo: What is there to worry about? GTA is where Take 2 makes all their money so expect them to be back to normal sooner rather than later.

Microsoft would never...EA would tell them not to and they'd listen.

Core407 said:

I might be wrong, but wasn't one of the big reasons MS divested its 1st party sports offerings was so that EA would finally get on board with Live?

Gigglepoo

Core407 said:

GTA is their only profitable franchise now. If Take 2 tanks, they could sell off all their franchises. This is not outside the realm of possibilities.

Not going to happen, it's pure conjecture from some financial analyst...

The facts are Take-Two has over $100M of cash in the bank and no debt. They own Rockstar, Irrational Games, 2K Sports, Firaxis...have several high profile games this year like GTA4, Bioshock, NBA 2K, MLB2K, APF, new Civilization, new Midnight Club, and Manhunt2. They are expected to start generating profits from their 2K Sports lineup this year...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Gigglepoo said:
GTA is their only profitable franchise now. If Take 2 tanks, they could sell off all their franchises. This is not outside the realm of possibilities.

You ar ecorrect. GTA is almost the only moneymaker. They bought VC to diversify their library and get more revenue stream outside of GTA releases. The sports games haven't done that. The smart thing to do would for Take Two to sell off everything except the GTA- or Midnight Club-related development houses since they pretty much are losing money on everything else.

Ubisoft or THQ could buy VC, EA isn't the only company big enough to make that kind of purchse.

Core407

Banned
pooteeweet said:
I might be wrong, but wasn't one of the big reasons MS divested its 1st party sports offerings was so that EA would finally get on board with Live?

But now XBL is an established service and EA would be nuts not to support it. Assume they do drop support for online play for the system. You'll have VC coming in with their sports game that features online play and soon enough you're pulling Madden customers over to VC.

Aeon712

Argh, I was hoping that with the introduction of 2k's football game that EA would re step their game up on Madden so that I wouldn't have to buy a crappy PS3 version for 08.

bumpkin said:
Are you kidding? It's more bullshit on their part to make sure we don't have a choice but to buy their trash. If EA buys 2K, they'll fire everyone and then gloat that they're now the only sports game maker in town.

****ing asshats.

It's called capitalism. Get used to it.

JdFoX187

Banned
pooteeweet said:
IRC, that division was hemmoraging money. So Microsoft cut them.

negatives:

- no competition
- madden next gen never improves
- horrible online performance from sports games in general

positives

+ ea probably kills off NBA 2k and keeps nba live; therefore saving me $60 a year as i would never again purchase a basketball game
+ MVP baseball with mlb returns!

Andokuky

Banned
Who is to say EA would just fire them? They could use them to help improve the NBA Live franchise, every other sport is done far better by EA imho. This would also allow EA to bring back MVP MLB Baseball, no?

DrLazy

miguel_c_hammer said:
It's called capitalism. Get used to it.

Very few countries live in a pure capatalistic society. Anit-trust laws stop many industries from merging and artificially hurting consumers. If EA buys Take Two, they are essentially the robber barrons of the video game world.

lorddct

The day this happens, it'll be death to sports games.

Only thing to hope for then is Microsoft revives there sports division and Sony starts making better sports titles and not only have a good baseball game.

lix2k3

If EA buys 2K Sportsa...I'm going to cry...and then proceed with my boycott of EA games. I really hope take two keeps 2k sports on board. The games are just startig to really pull ahead of EA's offerings. Please God....I'm primarily a sports gamer, if EA gets my favorite sports games, I'm done.

MS doesn't have the balls to make a sports line. EA strong armed them into getting rid of all their stuff. as soon as MS does that EA will say **** off. zeppster is right :(

Pachter wants other people to sell TTWO stock so he can buy it up and profit. TTWO is in great shape with Bioshock, NBA 2Kn, NHL 2Kn, The Darkness, GTA, exclusive MLB 2Kn, APF 2Kn, Midnight Club, Manhunt 2, Civilization, etc.

this is bullshit.

absolute bullshit.

2k sports games > anything ea has ever made.

i think i'd shoot myself if this happened. ea is just completely eliminating competition and making their shitty products the only one we can buy.

****ing assholes.

Fantasmo

junkster said:
Lots of doom and gloom in here. Wouldn't the developers of VC just leave and start a new company?

Lots of doom and gloom in here. Wouldn't the developers of VC just leave and start a new company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom