• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electroplankton - 1UP.com review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DYNAMITE

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3146741

lolqueer8md.gif

Teddman

Nintendo has decided to go with an extremely limited release, selling the game only through its website and a select handful of retailers.
What select retailers are stocking it?

Matlock

Banned
Teddman said:
What select retailers are stocking it?

Any web-based retailer.

Ultimately, Electroplankton doesn't succeed in any of the traditional areas one would use to rate a game. Neither does it resemble any game that has ever come before. This means that it has to be rated on its own merits alone: How well does Electroplankton live up to itself? For the most part, it does pretty well, though it could be better. It desperately needs a save feature to allow players to record particularly inspired musical creations. Of course, it's possible to record a performance by plugging the DS's headphone jack into a computer or tape deck, but having that ability built-in would be far more practical.

Summary:

It sucks as a game, and lacks the one function that'd make it great...BUT HEY IT IS UNIQUE.

Grug

I got the limited edition jap one with the free headphones.

I refuse to call Nintendogs, Animal Crossing etc "non games" but make not mistake, Electroplankton is not a game.

It is however fricken stimulating and intriguing.

Lie back on your bed with a beer (or other mind altering substances if you are that way inclined), plug your DS into some nice speakers, dim the lights and just play around with it.

I was captivated.

After a week or so you probably wont dig it out very often but its a great piece of software to have in your collection.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You a fool if you ever judged this game with your left brain. OMG ITS NOT A GAME? WHERE ARE THE FEATURES?

Engage the right brain and feel this experience like the only way you were ever meant to, or don't say anything at all. ;)

Matlock

Banned
BocoDragon said:
You a fool if you ever judged this game with your left brain. OMG ITS NOT A GAME? WHERE ARE THE FEATURES?

Engage the right brain and feel this experience like the only way you were ever meant to, or don't say anything at all. ;)

What the hell are you even talking about?

Hey they used actual words! I'm impressed; I thought it was going to be another substandard comic review. Pretty decent review, too.

BocoDragon

Wario64 said:
Already been posted

And it's great news, what are you talking about.

That Nintendo has dismissed the rumor of Revolution controller compatability? You sure that's been posted?

EDIT: Yes, I see it has been posted. Sorry bout that.

You're happy about it?

BocoDragon

Chrono said:
Who wouldn't be? Unless you can show me right now how rev's controller is better suited for zelda this is great news.

It was going to be Gamecube and Revolution compatable in the rumor. I thought that was GENIUS.

Me and my girlfreind were discussing the possibilities..... Then it turns out to be a rumor, reported as fact with a big fancy article. :(

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm torn about the save feature.

As an electronic knob twiddler and sometime composer, I like the option to save my stoned and drunken experiments when I fuck around with Electroplankton.

However, the impermanence of it all makes every session that much more precious. Kinda like when you jam on a guitar or bass. Do you expect the instrument itself to save your riffs when you're done jamming?

No.

BocoDragon

I've got a microphone input on the front of my PC, and I think that pretty much solves the recording problem, doesn't it?

Sho Nuff

Banned
chespace said:
However, the impermanence of it all makes every session that much more precious. Kinda like when you jam on a guitar or bass. Do you expect the instrument itself to save your riffs when you're done jamming?

No.

Then again, my electric violin doesn't have writable EEPROMs

BocoDragon

Mr_Furious said:
Why exactly is it "terrible"?

It's terrible that Zelda does not have extra Revolution controller functionality. All week I've been dreaming about playing Zelda with the Rev control, now it's been shot down as as pure speculation when it was reported as fact.

Did everyone read the article correctly, or are you all happy that the extra Rev function was false?

Matlock

Banned
chespace said:
I think what BocoDragon is saying is, SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Christ, che, untwist your panties. If Electroplankton had a save feature, it would be worthwhile. Without, it's the most worthless piece of DS software this side of Wayforward.

chespace

Matlock said:
Christ, che, untwist your panties. If Electroplankton had a save feature, it would be worthwhile. Without, it's the most worthless piece of DS software this side of Wayforward.

I think you meant Pingpals.

I wholeheartedly agree with the great score...for the first hour of play.

Then Electroplankton was fairly worthless to me.

Amir0x

Banned
i think worse than no save feature, previous results you have created are pretty difficult to reproduce

so that's why it's not like a guitar in that way, imo.

chespace

Amir0x said:
i think worse than no save feature, previous results you have created are pretty difficult to reproduce

so that's why it's not like a guitar in that way, imo.

Yeah. I don't disagree with the assessment that a save function would have been nice.

I'm just playing devil's advocate, trying to approach Electroplankton like a real instrument, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
i definitely see the logic in that, which is why (to me) it's sort of odd to rate it the same way we rate a game. I mean, how would you review a guitar as an instrument for instance?

But there's "outs" for those who are pissed about lack of saving in ElectroPlankton, in that it's pretty easy to rig something on your PC to capture your compositions.

Squeak

Anyone have a sample of how the music in Electroplankton sounds like? That's really what it all hinges around for me.

BocoDragon said:
It's terrible that Zelda does not have extra Revolution controller functionality. All week I've been dreaming about playing Zelda with the Rev control, now it's been shot down as as pure speculation when it was reported as fact.

Did everyone read the article correctly, or are you all happy that the extra Rev function was false?
I think you're over dramatizing that Nintendo simply stated that it's a "rumor". They neither confirmed nor denied that such functionality is (or isn't) in TP. Take a deep breath and wait until CONFIRMATION.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bitch enough and maybe they'll lower the score like GameDaily did. :lol

DustinC

I know I'll probably end up buying it just to check it out, unless Gamefly ends up offering it for rent. But yeah, I'm not sure I can see myself keeping it for long.

Top Bottom