• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer CEO talks about Saints Row’s underperformance and polarized fan reception

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It will be fascinating to watch all these Embracer games start to come out. They've seemed uniquely immune to any real financial concerns. Buy everyone, fund everything. Makes you wonder how long they will keep that up if multiple games start failing to meet expectations.

I wish them luck, but several studios that they've purchased had funding in the past and multiple chances but didn't quite ever land a sales hit. That's the whole reason many of them were up for sale in the first place.

I'm surprised to see this much public discussion of one game underperforming. The pressure will be on if it continues.

Last edited:

NickFire

Chase certain cultural trends... and this will be the results more often than not.
Nope (yup). Definitely not related (not possibly more than 100% related at least). You are just cherry picking examples to fit your view (even though every cherry is interchangeable).

Real problem with this game is it did not go straight to subscription. That's where the profit would have been. Do better next time.

:goog_devil:

ssringo

I mean, they did everything they could to make it fail.

- got rid of old characters
- new characters obviously designed for newer generations that probably weren't even fans of the originals
- bugs and glitches abound
- EGS exclusive (though they got a sack of cash for this so maybe came out ahead?)

Just piss off everybody and watch the cash roll in...

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Making excuses and talking about everything under the sun besides the real problem:
qlTR484.jpg

I mean, they did everything they could to make it fail.

- new characters obviously designed for newer generations that probably weren't even fans of the originals
- bugs and glitches abound
- EGS exclusive (though they got a sack of cash for this so maybe came out ahead?)

Just piss off everybody and watch the cash roll in...
as clear a case of 'trying to please everyone & pleasing no one' as you might ever want to see (with gotham knights soon to follow)...

Saber

Gold Member
Wasn't them like, mocking the feedback and fans criticism towards their games? I think they were too focused on whatever it is and forgot to deliver something their fans would love to. Not to mention the quality and polishment of the game.

winjer

Gold Member
It's like he didn't see, or have someone take a look at the game before release.
The game is obviously very poor in quality, so it was not a surprise it failed to sell well.
Can he be so incompetent to the point of releasing such a bad game and not understand why it failed?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Polarizing?? I guess he does not know of the people his marketing department pays to write good user reviews and make positive Twitter post.

DeaDPo0L84

This is BF2042 all over again to a certain extent. There's a reason these long standing franchises are popular with their fan bases. It doesn't mean you can't change small aspects of the game or improve upon the ones that came before but when you flat out don't improve upon shit and also change most of the foundation which made the franchise what it is what in the first place, you can get fucked.

Fatbody

Not to be too depressing, but I wouldn’t hold your breath for a comeback/return to form for this series. Once you go down the road they went down there’s no coming back. It’s just a series of doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on their “new vision.” Now of course they could be given a bigger budget and more development time next time around, which could prevent the kind of technical issues the reboot had, but the soul of of the originals is forever dead.

Honestly they should just make an attempt at a Red Faction BR game with next-gen GeoMod tech. That’s something the Zoomer audience that they wanted so badly might actually be interested in.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't abandon your core playerbase chasing Internet loudmouth who won't step up and buy your game.

Reminds me of BF V tbh then they act shocked when it under performs. Surprise but to make a mass market appeal product then it has to appeal to the mass market.

When are they going to figure out, that what they chase is NOT the majority? Especially when it comes to purchasing power. It is a very, very fringe minority being artificially hoisted up by algorithms from bad actors.

Last edited:
You can tell from the trailers that this game didn't fit the series and wasn't going to go well. You don't have to be a genius. I miss the old Volition that brought us Red Faction and Summoner. I expected better of Embracer to be fair. I thought they'd look at that during development and be like what the fuck?

Its simple, make a good game and market it well = the game should sell well

Make a crap/cash grab = don't expect it to sell well

Saints Row came out at the perfect time when not a lot of new games were available. It didn't do well because it wasn't a good game and gamers are not stupid, you got to deliver quality especially in a market were people have cheaper options like game pass and PS Plus Premium.

None of these companies have infinite monies.

Can they diversify risk in their portfolios? Sure, but at the end of the day, they won't and can't keep throwing good money after bad.

If this is how they're talking about the game to investors, which is generally what is happening here, I can only imagine how they're talking about this behind closed doors. I have to think some decision makers at volition are going to be held accountable for this.

lem0n

Was it even the woke nonsense that helped this underperform? Most typical gamers aren't even going to know about that going in, maybe there just wasn't enough hype/advertisement? Then on top of that mediocre reviews? I feel like those two factors can basically doom a game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Was it even the woke nonsense that helped this underperform? Most typical gamers aren't even going to know about that going in, maybe there just wasn't enough hype/advertisement? Then on top of that mediocre reviews? I feel like those two factors can basically doom a game.

My take is that its underperforming because its probably the worst case of "Poochie the Dog" syndrome I can remember. Everything about the presentation from colour palette to character design comes over as designed by committee to be "now", which bumps really hard against its attempts at edgyness.

Its Steve Buscemi unironically saying "Greetings, fellow kids" the videogame! Who is that going to appeal to?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They made some really dumb decisions with the new saints row.
It would of done way better for a more realistic art style and story.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Hopefully they go out of business. They deserve it with bringing out this trash. And shitting on the fans who saw this turd coming a mile away. Fuck Volition and fuck Saints Row

Complistic

Id be interested in an actual saints row game if they want to make one. I wasnt interested in whatever they're latest attempt was.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It will be fascinating to watch all these Embracer games start to come out. They've seemed uniquely immune to any real financial concerns. Buy everyone, fund everything. Makes you wonder how long they will keep that up if multiple games start failing to meet expectations.

As long as they can collect a check from Epic for timed exclusivity, and then maybe collect a check from Microsoft for Game Pass, they won’t care.

You don’t need gamers to buy your game anymore.

Drew1440

Don't abandon your core playerbase chasing Internet loudmouth who won't step up and buy your game.

Reminds me of BF V tbh then they act shocked when it under performs. Surprise but to make a mass market appeal product then it has to appeal to the mass market.

This is why companies should stay off Twitter, or social media in general.

So when you reboot a game and (a) your team consists of none of the original members, (b) you change the tone entirely, and (c) you actively crap on your pre-existing fanbase in favor of some nebulous Twitter-based audience that may or may not (probably not) exist, your game sells poorly? Shocking!

The only way to get out of this is to make a Saints Row 5, where in universe this game was a streaming TV show that the Saints (possibly Pierce) licensed to a Netflix-style service. It opens with the Boss and the Saints watching it in their massive home theater and they all hate it.

The Boss - "Where's the extreme violence?"
Pierce - "Where's the titties?"
Kinzie - "Where's the dongs?"
Johnny Gat - "Where's me?
Shaundi - "Student loans? Who, other than Kinzie and Oleg, went to college here?"
Pierce - "I got an honorary MBA. Does that count?"
The Boss - "Saints, call up our agents, social media reps, and lawyers. We got business to take care of."

Anyhoo, the agent and social media rep set up a big press conference to address the shitty response wherein they promise no longer ignore their long term fans and indicate that the Saints will do whatever it takes to stop production on season 2 of the show. Shortly thereafter, the lawyers deliver a laptop to the Netflix execs where the Boss demands they return the TV rights back to the Saints. The execs refuse and then the Boss dives out of a helicopter and massacres the TV Saints cast and crew while they were trying to film season 2. There's your intro mission. Boom. I'll take my check now, please.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Which means, make a new game not named Saints Row, or a spin off at least, catering for these idiots. Leave Saints legacy alone.

Top Bottom