• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group announces 8 more acquisitions

• 3D Realms (Duke Nukem, going to Saber)
  • Slipgate Ironworks (Graven, going to Saber)
  • Digixart (indie studio, going to Koch)
  • Force Field (VR games, going to Koch’s VR subsidiary)
  • Easy Trigger (Huntdown, going to Coffee Stain)
  • Ghost Ship Games (Deep Rock Galactic, going to Coffee Stain)
  • Crazy Labs (Israeli casual mobile studio/publisher, sounds like it’s becoming a new branch)
  • Grimfrost (e-commerce and Viking merchadice for some reason)

amigastar

3D Realms still exist? They've been in gaming since the beginnings in the 80's.

Last edited:

Mowcno

"going to Saber" What does that mean? Do these studios not retain their name?
Embracer group is split into several subsidiary's that each have multiple developers under them as well. E.G Koch Media has Deep Silver, Milestone etc under it.

So my take is the studios will remain intact and keep their name, just that 3D Realms will be under Saber who are under Embracer Group.

AFAIK the only other studio under Saber Interactive prior to this news is Aspyr.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
video games gore GIF

goat

MOTM

Banned
Remember we’re supposed to be concerned and cry out about consolidation.

Never mind the fact that this isn’t very organic at all!

The acquisition war is going well.....hate that a lot companies are consolidating. I don't know why people have been cheerleading this.

wipeout364

I don’t know a lot about embracer, but they give me the feeling that one day I am going to wake up and see the headline “Embracer Group files for bankruptcy protection “.

Kimahri

Banned
Either they're not very good at promoting their games, or they really are buying more studios then they're actually releasing games. For every gale they release they buy 3-4 studios or so?

00_Zer0

I just want to know 3 things. Are they making a profit yet? Are they a debt free group or are they spending, borrowing in the red?

Because with all these companies they are buying up, at some point they will have to turn a profit and earn big money for their investors.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
And not one of them is Airship Syndicate. UGH.

WitchHunter

Banned

• 3D Realms (Duke Nukem, going to Saber)
  • Slipgate Ironworks (Graven, going to Saber)
  • Digixart (indie studio, going to Koch)
  • Force Field (VR games, going to Koch’s VR subsidiary)
  • Easy Trigger (Huntdown, going to Coffee Stain)
  • Ghost Ship Games (Deep Rock Galactic, going to Coffee Stain)
  • Crazy Labs (Israeli casual mobile studio/publisher, sounds like it’s becoming a new branch)
  • Grimfrost (e-commerce and Viking merchadice for some reason)
They bought 3Drealms? Time bomb started.

WitchHunter

Banned
I just want to know 3 things. Are they making a profit yet? Are they a debt free group or are they spending, borrowing in the red?

Because with all these companies they are buying up, at some point they will have to turn a profit and earn big money for their investors.
They will kill everything that has a potential, then go bust. :D

jigglet

Banned
Considering the barriers to entry to releasing a new game are getting even lower these days, I wonder if this much consolidation can only go so far.

Years ago you needed millions to launch a game. Now you need 1 guy, a cheap PC and an account to the iOS / Android / Sony / MS / Nintendo dev programs, which generally only run a few hundred bucks these days.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

They will kill everything that has a potential, then go bust. :D
I'm not so worried about the quality of games because each company they've already bought has developers that could be hit or miss. What worries me more is how they will be able fund all these teams. Will they spend as much on development or marketing as they do buying up all these companies?

WitchHunter

Banned
I'm not so worried about the quality of games because each company they've already bought has developers that could be hit or miss. What worries me more is how they will be able fund all these teams. Will they spend as much on development or marketing as they do buying up all these companies?
Money is virtual, so do not angst about it too much.

Fredrik

I don’t know how to feel about this. Better than a platform holding buying at least but I wonder if Embracer can support this many studios. I’m working under a big umbrella and I don’t feel the security people sometimes talk about, it’s all good if the numbers are fine but as soon as things are looking bad you get a sense that they start thinking if they should cut off a limb or two.

reksveks

They bought some more studios yesterday, keep on embracing

P.s. I am not passing judgement on these acquisitions, it's all dependent on the studios financial situation at the time.

Last edited:
They bought some more studios yesterday, keep on embracing

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Are....are their games doing well, at least?

Cause if they're buying in bulk and then running these companies to the ground, then these would be a huge point of concern that it already is.

Last edited:
Umm, they are getting quite big now. I’d say they are now responsible for most of the B/AA productions. I kinda enjoy some of the rpgs their studios have put out.

Top Bottom