• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eon Altar - Local Co-op RPG on Steam w/ smartphone controller

Comandr

So I searched and didn't see anything about this game, thought it sounded really cool/innovative and wanted to introduce/talk about it.

Article here.

Trailer and Gameplay preview

Eon Altar isn't a mobile game. But it's got a super-cool mobile integration where you can use mobile devices to play the game. It's a quasi-turn-based RPG, where you and 3 other players battle against waves of enemies, and you control your character and battle while controlling it on your mobile device, seeing the results on the TV. You can move around during non-combat phases, with the ability to use friendly abilities during battle, before eventually going into battles. Each player controls a unique character with their own set of abilities. Some attacks and abilities have cooldown and energy costs, with energy being regained by doing damage with standard attacks. If an enemy attacks you, you are engaged with them, and can only attack them, but otherwise you can choose which enemy to attack. But be wary if you have area-of-effect abilities: some of them can do friendly fire damage.

This is actually a really cool setup, and while you have to be on the same wifi network to play, this seems a lot easier and smarter to play a co-op RPG than with a controller. Plus, so many people have phones, and the companion app is out on iOS and Android, so pretty much anyone can play. What I'd like to see would be something like what Quiplash does, where all you need to do is to enter a code to join a room, without being on the same network.

Still, the phone/tablet controller app [Free] is really cool to use. You have all sorts of information available to you on your own personal screen, and can see how abilities work without interrupting other players. The group I was in had players of varying skills and familiarity with RPGs, and while there's definitely some degree of learning curve based on how much you understand RPGs, it's something that might be easy enough to pick up on. As well, the PAX demo was a bit choppy, but that's because it's in a convention center full of a million tablets and phones all searching for wi-fi and phone signals. That it even worked at all is kind of a miracle. With the game working optimally on a less-crowded local wi-fi network, the game promises to work really well.

There also promises to be story and actual role-playing elements with dialogue between characters, and you can possibly even privately communicate with other characters for certain circumstances. The desktop version is in early access right now on Steam, and it was one of the more memorable experiences I had at PAX Prime. It's not explicitly mobile, but it uses mobile in a really cool way.

In the trailer, a player is briefly shown to get a secret message and can either keep that information to themselves or choose to share it with everyone. Creatively, I LOVE this idea, I think being able to silently communicate with the players can lead to some really interesting situations.

Everyone managing their characters and abilities/inventories and such on their own device saves a lot of clutter on the screen and doesn't force other players to wait for you while you do everything.

Now we just need someone to do this with Dungeons & Dragons...

Steam link. Currently early access for $4.99. Companion iOS app and Android app are free.

For $5 I picked this up without even batting an eyelash. If only for a novel experience when company is over, this is pretty neat.

BTA

This is an excellent idea. I really hope more devs start doing things like this. I remember Crystal Chronicles/Four Swords Adventures really fondly and I'd love to see that dynamic come back now that most people have smart phones.

Red

I think this will be my first Steam refund. Nothing happens when I click start campaign. This is a $5 title screen.

The iOS app and Steam download are different versions of the game. Maybe that's why they aren't communicating.

Played this at PAX, it's pretty cool. Control was a bit weird at first, but after I got the hang of it I liked it a lot.

Intrigued with the concept. Using a smartphone as a second screen solves a lot of issues involved with local multiplayer games.

Red

Apparently the game will not detect smartphones on a network that does not assign IP addresses with the form 192.168.x.x. I use an Airport Extreme, which assigns 10.0.x.x, so I have to mess with router settings to force it to assign a working address to each device. Not worth the time for me, so I requested a refund.

BTA

Apparently the game will not detect smartphones on a network that does not assign IP addresses with the form 192.168.x.x. I use an Airport Extreme, which assigns 10.0.x.x, so I have to mess with router settings to force it to assign a working address to each device. Not worth the time for me, so I requested a refund.

Oh, that's weird. I might still pick it up to play with friends, but that definitely means I can't show it to my family since our Xfinity router does 10.0.x.x now. Maybe they'll patch this in soon though?

ejdouglas

Neo Member
Hi all,

Ed Douglas from the Flying Helmet Team. Thanks for your interest in Eon Altar!

We have a patch incoming very soon for the IP range issue. It's in testing tonight, and will be out as soon as possible

Thanks for your patience while we get this fixed up for you. I'll repost here when the patch is out!

Best,

ejdouglas

Neo Member
Hi all,

Just want to let you know an update for your connectivity issue is now live on Google Play. Will fix the connectivity issue noted above without needing any more router changes. iOS update coming as soon as Apple approves it!

Ed Douglas,

Paertan

Hi all,

Just want to let you know an update for your connectivity issue is now live on Google Play. Will fix the connectivity issue noted above without needing any more router changes. iOS update coming as soon as Apple approves it!

Ed Douglas,

Awesome. Bought it just because I like the cool idea =)
Have you considered something like a 1vs4? Someone with a Gamemaster role.

Red

What a crazy ride you had.
It's even more interesting than that. Flying Helmet seems like a great studio, and they are receptive to feedback (to say the least). I look forward to the future of this project and whatever they do next.

deleted

Woah, this is a fascinating concept! I really hope they blow it open and make it a viable genre mix.. Seems a bit rough atm though, maybe to be resolved at a later state.

Not completely on topic, but are there digital Board Games that use this technique? Not like the You don't know Jack Party Box, but more complex stuff like a big strategy/rpg board game?

Top Bottom