• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EOne & De Laurentiis To Adapt Frederik Pohl’s Sci-Fi Classic ‘Gateway’ As TV Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The book sounds amazing, so it'll probably suck shit and get canned after one season

EXCLUSIVE: Frederik Pohl’s Gateway may finally get a screen adaptation. Entertainment One Television (Hell On Wheels) has teamed with De Laurentiis Co. (Hannibal) to develop and produce a drama series adaptation of Pohl’s sci-fi classic. The two companies landed the rights to the 1977 book in a competitive situation, with a number of producers pursuing. The project will be executive produced by De Laurentiis Co’s Martha De Laurentiis and Lorenzo De Maio along with eOne’s John Morayniss, CEO eOne TV; Michael Rosenberg, EVP U.S. Scripted TV; and Benedict Carver, SVP Filmed Entertainment. Search is underway for a writer to write the adaptation, with a number of established showrunners already interested because of Gateway‘s cult status. eOne TV will handle worldwide distribution. De Laurentiis Co., which has a history in screen adaptations of sci-fi classics — most notably the 1984 feature Dune – had been tracking Gateway for years as the book had gone through a number of incarnations, including being developed as a feature. When rights recently became available, De Laurentiis and De Maio went aggressively after it, partnering with eOne, a company they had been looking to collaborate with for the past three years. From the get go, the duo knew they wanted to do the adaptation as a series, not a feature. “Television gives us the opportunity of exploring the rich world of the novel and the complexity of its characters,” De Laurentiis said. Gateway actually started in a serialized format, running in sci-fi magazine Galaxy before its hardcover publication.

io9's recap/review is pretty glowing

Gateway, though, just — teems isn't the right word, because when dread starts teeming, it pretty much stops being dread. Better to say the novel is coated in dread: even in the scenes that aren't set on the unsettling alien space station from which it takes its name, you can smell the feeling. And most of those scenes take place years in the story's future, in the safe, comfortable office of a friendly robot psychologist the protagonist is voluntarily seeing.

Said protagonist is Robinette — or Bob — Broadhead, who was born poor on an Earth that's slogging its way toward a whimper, rather than a bang. It's overpopulated, and a big chunk of the world's food comes from slimy bacteria grown on shale mined in less-than-ideal conditions. Jobs are hard to come by, and though medical technology has made some great strides, it's only available to the wealthiest people. Formerly a food miner, Bob is now one of those wealthy people, living in Manhattan (which is a controlled environment sealed under a big bubble).

He got rich by going to Gateway, a space station formerly inhabited by an ancient, mysterious alien race humans have dubbed the Heechee. Here is what we know about the Heechee: almost nothing. We've found a few of their artifacts and deciphered some of their technology, but we're not sure what they look like, what their culture was like, or what happened to them.

Gateway is a rock about ten kilometers wide at its longest point, honeycombed with tunnels and riddled on the outside with bumps and holes. The bumps are the hulls of Heechee ships. The holes are where Heechee ships used to be. Human scientists have figured out how to make the ships run — sort of. Other humans, usually poor ones, spend their life savings to become prospectors, and fly Heechee ships out of Gateway on preset courses to they-know-not-where, hoping to strike it rich finding traces of the alien civilization.

About a third of the ships come back. And the people inside aren't always alive when they do.

That's as best I can convey what makes Gateway such a dreadful book. Human beings clamber into small spacecraft that passeth understanding — there are parts of the control panel, particularly a golden coil, that bewilder everyone who tries to determine their function — and shoot off into the void at faster-than-light speeds, not knowing what their destination is, how long it'll take to get there, whether their food will last the whole trip, and if they're going to a habitable planet or if they'll end up burning alive inside the corona of a star.

They just know their chances are less than one in three. And they pay big money for the opportunity — Bob wins the lottery on Earth, and spends his winnings to get to Gateway — because things are bad enough back home to make it worth the risk.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Oh wow, excellent. Awesome series of books, my only fear is that I felt the same about PJF's Riverworld books and look at the awful adaptations that spawned.

Still, it's good to see the Heechee Saga get some love!

I always hoped for an awesome sandbox sci-fi MMO based on this premise, instantiated jumps, ruin or riches from each jump etc. maybe one day....

KPJZKC

Please don't be shit, please don't be shit.

Was blown away by this book as a young teen, Pohl is pretty much my favourite science fiction author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom