• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic blames Sony for not letting it pass along savings to customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Sony is also on Epic's hit list?

“We cannot sell out of PlayStation at a lower price than we sell on PlayStation,” says Epic CEO Tim Sweeney, referring to a most favored nations (MFN) clause in the contract with Sony.

That sounds familiar — I think we spotted something like that in a Sony contract during the Epic v. Apple trial, but I can’t find it at this moment.

Google tried to suggest this was shady, since Sony is now an Epic Games shareholder, but Sweeney says it’s a standard part of PlayStation contracts.

And (minus a couple bits I didn’t quite catch) we’re done with Tim Sweeney. On to a taped deposition from an Amazon executive: Donn Morrill.

Fabieter

What savings? Are they talking about the recently raised price of v-bucks?

Maybe they mean they had to charge 10 bucks more for Alan wake 2 on consoles.

If epic somehow manage to crack up the console stores than we can expect higher hardware prices across the board on consoles. Yippee. Well as long as physical is a thing I don't care for console garden as soon as that drops iam going pc only.

graywolf323

as several of us pointed out starting with the Epic vs. Apple trial, their goal is to be able to have their own store on all platforms in order to get closer to (if not all the way) 100% of the cut

consoles were never not going to end up being involved, this is all driven by Epic’s greed & not at all about making things better for consumers

Microsoft supported Epic vs. Apple because they likely see this as an avenue to get Game Pass on competitors’ platforms without having to strike deals, after all if Sony/Nintendo/etc. are forced to allow for sideloading what’s to stop Xbox Game Pass from being available to sideload?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes, Sony is greedy as hell. In my country PlayStation games and digital content cost more than on PC.

What Tim is saying is that they can’t sell Alan Waker 2 day 1 at 40$ on Epic Store because the game costs 50$ on PlayStation. Same for Xbox store for example.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Microsoft supported Epic vs. Apple because they likely see this as an avenue to get Game Pass on competitors’ platforms without having to strike deals, after all if Sony/Nintendo/etc. are forced to allow for sideloading what’s to stop Xbox Game Pass from being available to sideload?
It also makes console sales irrelevant, funny how that works out for them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The reality is that Epic's business model has collapsed, forcing them to restruccture and lay off people, and they're lashing out and blaming everyone else.

twilo99

as several of us pointed out starting with the Epic vs. Apple trial, their goal is to be able to have their own store on all platforms in order to get closer to (if not all the way) 100% of the cut

consoles were never not going to end up being involved, this is all driven by Epic’s greed & not at all about making things better for consumers

Microsoft also has Windows where they are not allowed to only have their own App Store and you are allowed to have your own store, for example Steam’s success is entirely built on the back of Windows, but for whatever reason, despite the fact that they have an enormous install base, iOS and let’s say PlayStation for example are allowed to have a walled garden type of situation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What Tim is saying is that they can’t sell Alan Waker 2 day 1 at 40$ on Epic Store because the game costs 50$ on PlayStation. Same for Xbox store for example.
That sounds illegal to me, since the manufacturer is trying to iron fist retail prices at different stores. But who knows. Maybe USA is different. In Canada, you cant do that shit. Our company even had the legal team give us presentations about this kind of stuff.

Any company can recommend a price, but the company cant force every store to sell bottles of floor cleaner for $4.99 or else you can chopped off supply.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yes, Sony is greedy as hell. In my country PlayStation games and digital content cost more than on PC.
Probably like that almost everywhere.

Console-gaming is for people with money, not PC-peasants who need to look for cheap sales because they almost went bankrupt buying their underutilized hardware.

Shubh_C63

I might be holding onto old notions but in my head Tim Sweeney automatically became a necessary Evil when he targeted UWP in Windows some years ago. I like to believe that did made a difference.

He is in for his profit but still technically he is never wrong so I can't blame him.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Thank you for explaining this point. If this is the case, then I'm 100% AGAINST it! I don't want the likes of Epic and MS to force their stores on consoles. They aren't PCs!!!

graywolf323

Microsoft also has Windows where they are not allowed to only have their own App Store and you are allowed to have your own store, for example Steam’s success is entirely built on the back of Windows, but for whatever reason, despite the fact that they have an enormous install base, iOS and let’s say PlayStation for example are allowed to have a walled garden type of situation.
not allowed? I mean Windows didn’t have an exclusive app store from the start, is it so much they’re not allowed as customers would revolt if Microsoft attempted to block others?

also I believe you are still wrong because they do actually have a version of Windows that does exactly that, the S Mode version of Windows only allows you to install apps from Microsoft Store, if you want to install other programs you have to switch out & can never switch back

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That sounds illegal to me, since the manufacturer is trying to iron fist retail prices at different stores. But who knows. Maybe USA is different. In Canada, you cant do that shit. Our company even had the legal team give us presentations about this kind of stuff.

Any company can recommend a price, but the company cant force every store to sell bottles of floor cleaner for $4.99 or else you can chopped off supply.

Do you believe Epic here? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom