• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethnic Minorities - "Forgot about them".

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Similarly, how often do we see Indians represented in video games?

Judah Singh, Soul Hackers:

Yuda_Singh.png

As a representative of ethnic minorities, I want the game industry to forget about us - because any implementation of ethnic minorities is most likely going to end up as a caricature.

/Official representative of assorted ethnic minorities

Fularu

Banned
As a representative of ethnic minorities, I want the game industry to forget about us - because any implementation of ethnic minorities is most likely going to end up as a caricature.

/Official representative of assorted ethnic minorities
I feel the same. Arabs are only good for terrorrists in videogames and I'm prety sick of it (or clueless fools)

So I'd rather not be on there than having such a horrible image beeing broadcast

This is so incredibly wrong.

Might wanna do some research before dissing a genuinely amazing black character.There is so much to sazh in the game.He is compassionate, kind and a devoted father.

There is nothing wrong with embracing african looking hair.A chocobo is not a chicken, its a trademark of FF series and he actually has a relationship with that creature.He is actually portrayed as the wisest , most civil man in the cast as well as a skilled pilot.His accent was balanced and he was well voiced overall.

He is actually a main character in the game with plenty of screen time and you can arrange into your party as you please.

Carries a gun ? Lightning carries a gun and tons of people in XIII use guns.I amnot sure where that factors in.

If that's true then he sounds like an awesome character.

I don't get how "Black guy with a fro" is a stereotype :/

Razzorn34

If that's true then he sounds like an awesome character.

I don't get how "Black guy with a fro" is a stereotype :/

It's overused quite a bit. As are cornrows/braids. It would be nice to see more different hair styles. It's no different than how you see most black women in commercials. If you pay attention, they are almost always lighter skinned, and have poofy afro like hair. It's pretty hard to miss being so damn common.

Sazh isn't a bad character, but he does do a disservice by talking overly slang. Just so you know people, just because talking that way is popularized in the media, doesn't mean that's how your normal black man speaks.

redcrayon

Serbs and Croatians are white, so no, not really.

Seeing as an awful lot of Serbs and Croats in Eastern Europe died in various campaigns of ethnic cleansing in the late 20th century, it seems a bit off to use that example to claim that a particular subset of people can't be an ethnic minority just because they are white, depending on context, location etc.

Being from Eastern Europe (and, obviously, looking white) in a large, ethnically mixed, but majority white western city is still a pretty 'safe' choice for a videogame character though, but I think just putting people into the visual brackets of white and black misses an awful lot of prejudice and disadvantage that can exist for various ethnic groups that aren't always immediately apparent.

Top Bottom