• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even upon a second viewing...no movie has ever enraged me more than Mystic River

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
GAH. First time I saw it I was pissed, and I just got done watching it again and I feel like punching through a goddamn wall even moreso now.
Tim Robbins' character/Dave was such a sympathetic, likeable character. Sean Penn is a prick.

The whole ending just doesn't sit right with me, at all. I guess that shows what a good movie it is since I get so upset after seeing it....but fuck.
Near the end when Dave is explaining things to Jimmy and he gets confused and says "I-I dunno. My head just sometimes...it just gets fucked up sometimes!" it made me so angry this time because I knew what was gonna happen.
It's still easily Tim Robbins' best performance.

It's one of those movies that I know is great, but I'll probably never watch it again because I get so pissed off at it. Fucking Sean Penn.

kumanoki

You might want to put spoiler tags on this for people who haven't seen it yet.

But yeah,
you really get a feel for just how messed up Dave is when he pulls the kid out of the car and beats the shit out of the guy inside.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
well i didn't think i spoiled anything, and tried not too...but i will so as not to piss anyone off

android

Theoretical Magician
it was meant to anger you and fuck with your head and your sense of right and wrong and loyalty

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
what i dont get::
is why kevin bacon's character did not arrest sean penn at the end.. he obviously knew he killed tim robbins.. wtf :(

Socreges

Banned
That's a poor run-down of a few supposed flaws.

Alright, well, the story itself wasn't poor in and of itself. But
there are just too many things about the plot of this movie that
bother me for me to understand the unanimous critical praise it is
receiving. For one thing, the ending kind of seems like almost a
cop-out. We get all these complicated interactions between the
characters and families of the town, but none of them seem to be
related at the end. Of particular note is the whole thing with the
guy Jimmy killed way back when whose gun was used in the murder of his
daughter. This inter-family tensiond seemed like it could lead to a
really interesting conclusion. Maybe the older son was a complete
psychopath, and killed his "girlfriend" as revenge for his father's
death. Something along those lines. But no, as it turns out, the
drama involving Jimmy and the father has absolutely nothing to do with
the murder, and all that investigating they did into that case was
completely unrelated.
Whaa?? I'm not even sure what he's criticizing here. Teddman, can you put this differently?

When it comes to crime dramas like this, there is a fine line between
plot point and coincidence, and Mystic River crosses that line far too
many times for my liking. For one thing, it's a pretty huge
coincidence that Tim Robbins' character happened to kill the pedophile
on the same night as the daughter's murder. She also happens to
wander into state-police jurisdiction, bringing Kevin Bacon, an
ex-childhood friend into the case. Tim Robbins' car happens to be
stolen so they can suspect him even further. The liquor store owner
happens to have an idea of who robbed his store with that gun, and he
happens to be exactly right. Finally, and this is the biggest
coincidence of all, and that is the murder itself. Those kids just
happen to be playing with that particular gun at that particular time,
and the murder is a complete accident. I'm sure these flaws exist in
the book, too, but it's just too much for me.
Sorry, I'm not sure how those are "flaws". A couple of those points are pretty big coincidences, but certainly nothing that would hamper the movie. The guy is reaching, and I believe I know why (above).

Teddman

Socreges said:
That's a poor run-down of a few supposed flaws.

Whaa?? I'm not even sure what he's criticizing here. Teddman, can you put this differently?

Sorry, I'm not sure how those are "flaws". A couple of those points are pretty big coincidences, but certainly nothing that would hamper the movie. The guy is reaching, and I believe I know why (above).
Are you serious, you don't know what he's criticizing? It's been quite awhile since I've seen the movie, and I get the gist of what he's talking about in the first point. Basically, all of Sean Penn's criminal past had nothing to do with the murder of his daughter. The gun that was used to kill his daughter being the same one he himself had used to kill others... It was a complete red herring and had nothing to do with the central homicide of the film.

The coincidences surely hamper the movie. I didn't believe that such a string of events could ever happen to take place in real life (connected as they were), the grief and emotions depicted in the film then seemed forced and contrived in that context, and it was purely a case of audience manipulation.

Basically, it took the "Mystic" out of "Mystic River." The film constantly teases you with hints of an underlying mytery, emotionally powerful revelations, and at the end it was just a string of flimsy coincidences that drove the film, not some long-overdue payback for past crimes or a culmination of childhood trauma.

Teddman

Here is a better written summary of the movie's flaws:
I think that I understand the concept of tragedy, and I also happen to
think that the ending of Mystic River was poor. The murder of Sean
Penn's daughter had nothing to do with the tragedy of all those year's
ago. What happened to Tim Robbins on the night the crime had nothing
to do with the murder of Sean Penn's daughter but was simply the
wildest of disconnected coincidences. Even the connection between Sean
Penn having been responsible for the death of the daughter's
boyfriend's father had no connection her murder. Even *that* was
purely coincidental.

That's not a tragedy. That's just a bunch of coincidences leading to a
someone being killed who happened to have a coicidental relationship
to something bad that happened a bunch of years ago. No real
connection to the contemporary killing -- which is what all of the
events of the story were promising -- that somehow what had happened
back them had somehow led to this terrible happening -- is not
directly then somehow indirectly. But no. One had nothing to do with
the other.

I think that the first seven-eighths of "Mystic River" is a mighty
good movie -- but I also happen to think that the ending is a great
disappointment. I don't care whether a movie has a downbeat ending or
not -- I just want it have a good ending, not a bad ending. And this
was a bad ending. It was a "mystery story" ending -- "Ah-hah! The
supposedly mute brother of the dead girl's boyfriend was the killer,
bet you didn't suspect him!" Who cares? This wasn't a mystery. This
wasn't about the "mystery" of who killed the girl. This was about the
consequences of a long, unhealed wound -- and we were led to believe
that that was the story that we were really watching. And that story
didn't have jack shit to do with the dead girl's boyfriend's
supposedly mute brother.

Socreges

Banned
Teddman said:
Are you serious, you don't know what he's criticizing? It's been quite awhile since I've seen the movie, and I get the gist of what he's talking about in the first point.
You're a brilliant, brilliant man.

Basically, all of Sean Penn's criminal past had nothing to do with the murder of his daughter. The gun that was used to kill his daughter being the same one he himself had used to kill others... It was a complete red herring and had nothing to do with the central homicide of the film.
From what I remember, they were able to trace the particular gun used in the murder back to a shop. The shop owner strongly suspected one person, who happened to be the father of the kid who was dating the murdered girl. The father himself isn't strongly considered as a suspect since he'd have no motive and is out of town (still alive since he's sending money - of course, it's Jimmy that sends the money to cover up the fact that he killed him). Any suspicious lies with the son. Ultimately, however, it turns out that it was the other son who killed her. The events leading up the murder were left open-ended, but I suspect it was intentional.

Penn's "criminal past", insofar as he killed the father of the boyfriend, serves to explain: 1) why he doesn't trust the boyfriend - why he initially suspects the boyfriend as the murder, 2) why the father is considered alive and an existing element in the entire case, and 3) while Robbins is possibly going to be killed, the revelation that Penn has done it before (which is just good for story purposes) and that it's not just an empty threat

As for the part before that you quoted, the "unrelated" bit threw me off. I didn't get that. I suppose he wanted a much stronger connection or something.

The coincidences surely hamper the movie. I didn't believe that such a string of events could ever happen to take place in real life (connected as they were), the grief and emotions depicted in the film then seemed forced and contrived in that context, and it was purely a case of audience manipulation.
I don't know what that means. "A case of audience manipulation".

Basically, it took the "Mystic" out of "Mystic River." The film constantly teases you with hints of an underlying mytery, emotionally powerful revelations, and at the end it was just a string of flimsy coincidences that drove the film, not some long-overdue payback for past crimes or a culmination of childhood trauma.
Only it WAS a culmination of childhood trauma. Read between the lines. Or, see below.

I think that I understand the concept of tragedy, and I also happen to
think that the ending of Mystic River was poor. The murder of Sean
Penn's daughter had nothing to do with the tragedy of all those year's
ago. What happened to Tim Robbins on the night the crime had nothing
to do with the murder of Sean Penn's daughter but was simply the
wildest of disconnected coincidences. Even the connection between Sean
Penn having been responsible for the death of the daughter's
boyfriend's father had no connection her murder. Even *that* was
purely coincidental.

That's not a tragedy. That's just a bunch of coincidences leading to a
someone being killed who happened to have a coicidental relationship
to something bad that happened a bunch of years ago. No real
connection to the contemporary killing -- which is what all of the
events of the story were promising -- that somehow what had happened
back them had somehow led to this terrible happening -- is not
directly then somehow indirectly. But no. One had nothing to do with
the other.

I think that the first seven-eighths of "Mystic River" is a mighty
good movie -- but I also happen to think that the ending is a great
disappointment. I don't care whether a movie has a downbeat ending or
not -- I just want it have a good ending, not a bad ending. And this
was a bad ending. It was a "mystery story" ending -- "Ah-hah! The
supposedly mute brother of the dead girl's boyfriend was the killer,
bet you didn't suspect him!" Who cares? This wasn't a mystery. This
wasn't about the "mystery" of who killed the girl. This was about the
consequences of a long, unhealed wound -- and we were led to believe
that that was the story that we were really watching. And that story
didn't have jack shit to do with the dead girl's boyfriend's
supposedly mute brother.
Robbins was tortured as a child. From then on, he lived a lie. He was a different person. He became what people wanted him to be, because the 'true' Robbins was a monster. When Penn said that he would survive if he confessed, Robbins naturally [and convincingly] told Penn how he had killed his daughter, thinking he would be spared. Penn, however, was lying in order to hear what he was convinced was the truth, and killed Robbins. Tragic. That was the connection.

With regards to the TRUE murderer, that was: 1) the necessary conclusion to the apparently confusing evidence, 2) a sidestory in itself - that the mute didn't want to be left alone, and his apparently controlling friend did well in helping him (though I don't think it was a complete accident, I'm not convinced that their ultimate plan was to kill her).

Still not seeing the flaws. I think the worst criticism someone can throw at this film is that it beat incredible odds and fit together as a whole. In hindsight, a series of events such as these could never happen in real life. But as I watched the movie, from beginning to end, I didn't find myself concerned with any of that. I took it as it is. And it seems like the large majority did the same, critical eyes and all.

Teddman

Socreges said:
As for the part before that you quoted, the "unrelated" bit threw me off. I didn't get that. I suppose he wanted a much stronger connection or something.
Or any connection. Because ultimately, it was just coincidental that those kids had any ties to Penn's character.
I don't know what that means. "A case of audience manipulation".
"This was about the consequences of a long, unhealed wound -- and we were led to believe that that was the story that we were really watching. And that story didn't have jack shit to do with the dead girl's boyfriend's supposedly mute brother."

Only it WAS a culmination of childhood trauma. Read between the lines. Or, see below.

Robbins was tortured as a child. From then on, he lived a lie. He was a different person. He became what people wanted him to be, because the 'true' Robbins was a monster. When Penn said that he would survive if he confessed, Robbins naturally [and convincingly] told Penn how he had killed his daughter, thinking he would be spared. Penn, however, was lying in order to hear what he was convinced was the truth, and killed Robbins. Tragic. That was the connection.
I got that, the problem is how we got to that point. A string of unlikely coincidences contrived to give us this dramatic payoff. It's not a real culmination at all if you have to jump through hoops to create that situation. If you are going to deal in coincidences wouldn't it be better to have them tie into each other, rather than have them all unrelated?
With regards to the TRUE murderer, that was: 1) the necessary conclusion to the apparently confusing evidence, 2) a sidestory in itself - that the mute didn't want to be left alone, and his apparently controlling friend did well in helping him (though I don't think it was a complete accident, I'm not convinced that their ultimate plan was to kill her).
It was a poorly tacked-on ending. An implication that the kid did it on purpose out of an obsessive love for his brother (who was about to leave) would have been more satisfying ending. Instead, we get another pure coincidence in place of a motive.
Still not seeing the flaws.
Still not willing to admit the flaws, you mean. If you're comfortable with this many red herrings/purely coincidental events supporting what purports to be a believeable study of human loss and unhealed wounds, go for it.

All this criticism against Mystic River's plot is a bunch of bullshit. The evidence against Penn in this movie is there because there IS stuff like that in real life. There ARE multiple suspects in any story, because there ARE conflicting sources of evidence. There are coincidences in the movie, yes, but not much more than in any other crime movie I've seen. Coincidences HAPPEN, by the way. And this movie also raises great psychological issues, especially about Penn's wife's behavior in the end. It also makes an effective comment against death penalty, and does not turn to ridicule people who might see otherwise. It's a pretty respectful flick, towards its own characters and towards its audience. Well, I loved it, and I'M RIGHT.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The chain of events seems pretty well strung together to me.

The movie is pretty minimalistic in delivering its message, but essentially does it in a straightforward fashion. Penn's character's comment that he knew in his soul that he was somehow responsible for his daughter's death, Fishburne's character saying how anyone who has done jailtime forever carries the burden of prison around on their shoulders...etc.

So Penn is a man who has done jailtime because he was ratted out by a partner in crime. As retribution, he kills the partner. He is somewhat remorseful but that does not undo the damage his act has wrought on a mother who becomes increasingly embittered because she thinks her husband has simply walked out on her, and her two boys who become increasingly reliant on each other for emotional stability because she can't provide it herself. Meanwhile, their father's gun is left unattended without anyone responsible to safeguard it.

Of course, none of that occurs in a complete vaccuum of its own and this is where the story establishes a credible flow and interweaving of community events around that, focusing on the fallibility of human judgment and how it can create a cascade of bad decisions that lead to worse outcomes. Robbins deciding to conceal the nature of his run-in with the pedophile, his wife's inability to determine the truth on her own and arriving at a completely wrong assessment, Penn's inability to break a cycle of violence.

But, to me, all of that pales in comparison to Linney's character's cold justification of everything Penn had done at the end. The other characters were just tragic, but Linney's character was plain evil.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
if you go in expecting a murder mystery, you're going to be disappointed. That is the fundamental flaw with both Teddman and the source he sites as an example. The movie isn't about a murder mystery, it's about how the child abuse and lack of support affected the three men throughout their lives. And IMO, it did a great job of exploring that. The murder mystery just provided a convenient way to bring all three of the men back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom