• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever browse your steam collection and been like: "Wait...when did I buy THIS game??"

Knightime_X

Sometimes I'll casually browse through my rather expansive library of games of maybe around 600+ish and decide "Hmm yes. This game will be a candidate for future backlog play." So naturally I'll favorite it.

Every once in a while I'll come across a game that I don't ever recall buying.
Like wtf...
For example, I have Super Hot Mind Control Delete.
Yet I don't ever remember buying Super Hot. Maybe I did buy super hot?
But I know FOR SURE I did not buy mind control delete, but it's in my library regardless.

If you play a game on another platform ps4, Xbox, nintendo do some games just automatically appear on steam?
I have another game called Ships 2017 and Robot Squad Simulator 2017. Like hey remember buying me? No? Well fuck you I'm here anyways. :p

Surely there's an explanation for this.
Right?

tl;dr: New games appear in library I don't recall buying. How and why?

Soodanim

I once went back through all the Humble/Indie bundles I bought for this very reason. I made the questionable decision to redeem nearly everything I had bought regardless of quality, so my Steam library ended up with some obscure stuff.

Eventually I sorted into categories including “Won’t Ever Play”, so I now know where I stand with it all.

There have been times when I’ve nearly bought a game in a Steam sale then remembered I own it on GOG, and vice versa. There’s a good reason I don’t want more launchers.

Pejo

I once went back through all the Humble/Indie bundles I bought for this very reason. I made the questionable decision to redeem nearly everything I had bought regardless of quality, so my Steam library ended up with some obscure stuff.

Eventually I sorted into categories including “Won’t Ever Play”, so I now know where I stand with it all.

There have been times when I’ve nearly bought a game in a Steam sale then remembered I own it on GOG, and vice versa. There’s a good reason I don’t want more launchers.
Ha, I remember reading that Platinum developed an Avatar: Legend of Korra action game. I was so intrigued by this, and then found out it had been delisted on Steam, but you could still get a key for it on reseller sites. I then proceeded to find an available key from a reputable site, purchased it (at a premium). Then, when I went to redeem it on Steam.... "You already own this game"

I think that was the moment that I realized that I should stop buying games on a whim, and focus on only things I plan on playing.

Shadow Tactis and Rise of the Tomb Raider are those games for me.

I should definitely play Shadow Tactics, but I'm turn based exhausted for the time being.

Tomb Raider is...well, I think I need to play with a controller and maybe I'll enjoy it more.

Edit:

Also Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake.

I didnt feel like finishing a full replay of MP3, and Alan Wake just isnt my cup of tea when I played it initially.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Ha, I remember reading that Platinum developed an Avatar: Legend of Korra action game. I was so intrigued by this, and then found out it had been delisted on Steam, but you could still get a key for it on reseller sites. I then proceeded to find an available key from a reputable site, purchased it (at a premium). Then, when I went to redeem it on Steam.... "You already own this game"

I think that was the moment that I realized that I should stop buying games on a whim, and focus on only things I plan on playing.
That’s a solid game though, you could quite easily sell that if you didn’t fancy gifting it.

Holammer

Happens all the time. I see a recommendation here on GAF, Twitter, YT or an article in Niche Gamer, get on Steam to check it out and it says "in library".
If it looks halfway decent and is sold with a good discount, I just grab it and Bundles don't help either. Such games sink into the dark depths of your collection only to be found in this manner.

tvdaXD

Yes. Many games of which I got in bundles through Humble Bundle or grabbed for free because they were 100% off.

Daymos

heh.. and they want us to pay $70 for a new game! $70 for a game I didn't even know I had for 5 years... that's now on sale for $2.99 on steam.

I've got a bunch of friends who have a habit of buying humble bundles for a single game and then giving away the leftovers. I'm more or less drowning in games I might never play.

I've never not played a game I paid money for, though.

Last edited:

Zephir

A lot of times, sometimes they're from past humble bundles, sometimes it's just Steam adding unwanted free to play or just gifting random stuff because I owned certain games

ZywyPL

Banned
Happened once - bought some games from my childhood during some Steam sale to refresh my memories, and never really touched them, 2 years later I noticed them on my list and was like "WTF, I have those games??"... This was the first and the last time I bought something I'm not really interested in just because it's on sale.

Sentenza

The awkward part isn’t not remembering when you got some random game.

It’s when you are on the verge of buying a new one on a whim only to discover it was already in your library for a while.

JSoup

Banned
All the time. For long enough of a time that I have games that are highly rated but no longer on Steam. Or games that people always talk about and are expensive that I got in some $1 launch bundle some 10 years ago. And other crap I have no idea what it is or were it came from.

Top Bottom