• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evoland |OT| A short story of adventure games evolution

I used Joy2Key (for the 360 pad Button 1=Enter, Button 2=Tab, Button 4=Esc). On Twitter the devs said controller support is coming for the Windows version.

Yeah, but it's only probably coming when Adobe AIR adds controller support, seeing as that's what the developers used to make the game.

My keyboard failed me when I needed to press more than 2 keys at once to attack the skeletons (you have to attack them from a diagonal angle).
You don't have to attack them from a diagonal angle, you just have to attack them from any direction other than straight-on.

Also, is it weird that I think everyone should have joy2key or motionjoy installed if they're even remotely interested in gaming on their PC?

I mean, I've been doing it for years and years and years, and the very first time I thought "oh, this game totally needs controller support", it only took a 20 second search before I realised it was possible via a 3rd party program.

thefil

I finished it the other day. It's definitely all charm and not much substance, but it's perfect for chilling out with a smile on your face. The best part is probably the music, they hit VERY close to some classics.

As usual with these kinds of titles, you should buy direct from dev (http://evoland.shirogames.com/). You'll get your goddamn steam key + a DRM-free version and they'll get more money.

You don't have to attack them from a diagonal angle, you just have to attack them from any direction other than straight-on.

Also, is it weird that I think everyone should have joy2key or motionjoy installed if they're even remotely interested in gaming on their PC?

I mean, I've been doing it for years and years and years, and the very first time I thought "oh, this game totally needs controller support", it only took a 20 second search before I realised it was possible via a 3rd party program.

I just hate the idea of having to use joy2key because if it's a modern PC game, it should have support built in. It's not like we're living in the DOS era. Anyway, I've since configured joy2key for the game now. I just hate having to do this for something that is released in 2013. But I repeat myself.

And what do I see now when I open the Options screen? A greyed-out option for gamepad support. Hrm. Was that there before?

choodi

Banned
Haha, I just fight a giant turtle named A'tuin.

Nice geek reference.

Also like the "now loading" screen once you get the prerendered background upgrade.

Well, they added gamepad support in a patch. So much better now.

Is anyone getting bored after they unlock the 3D parts? The only reason I'm pushing on is because I know the game ends soon.

God, the collision detection is so crap. And I hate how you stop in your tracks when you swing your sword.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Is anyone getting bored after they unlock the 3D parts? The only reason I'm pushing on is because I know the game ends soon.

God, the collision detection is so crap. And I hate how you stop in your tracks when you swing your sword.

I'm just not a fan of the dungeon sections. The rest of the game is quite enjoyable, but blocking skeletons and red wizards are incredibly annoying.

choodi

Banned

Clearly you've not played many of these types of games from the SNES era...

choodi

Banned
Just saying that it was pretty much a standard of the era.

It wouldn't really be authentic if it didn't happen that way.

I played and beat this over the weekend, great concept, sloppy execution in many areas. In particular, the RPG sections are truly, mind-numbingly awful. It's astounding how much they bring the entire game to a grinding halt when the entire game is only a few hours long.

The graphical upgrades come too quick and frequent as well, you are given no chance to play around in black and white mode or low color mode. When you get to 3D, textures and HD textures are on the way to the next dungeon. The moment you unlock "prerenderd backgrounds," there's a chest on the next screen for HD upgrade.

Although most of those seemed optional chests, so we'll see how far you can take it on a replay.

It was cute enough though.

Except for basically leeching some parts of Final Fantasy VII, including the main characters (this is no homage).

And the constant memes, ugh. Is the target audience people that grew up with video games or sixteen year old 4chan/reddit users?

Clydefrog

I played and beat this over the weekend, great concept, sloppy execution in many areas. In particular, the RPG sections are truly, mind-numbingly awful. It's astounding how much they bring the entire game to a grinding halt when the entire game is only a few hours long.

The graphical upgrades come too quick and frequent as well, you are given no chance to play around in black and white mode or low color mode. When you get to 3D, textures and HD textures are on the way to the next dungeon. The moment you unlock "prerenderd backgrounds," there's a chest on the next screen for HD upgrade.

Although most of those seemed optional chests, so we'll see how far you can take it on a replay.

It was cute enough though.

Except for basically leeching some parts of Final Fantasy VII, including the main characters (this is no homage).

And the constant memes, ugh. Is the target audience people that grew up with video games or sixteen year old 4chan/reddit users?

I agree with this but when I was playing last night I ran into a part where
you can go back and forth between 3D and 2D

I'm really enjoying the game just for nostalgia sake. It puts a smile on my face when I play.

choodi

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game just for nostalgia sake. It puts a smile on my face when I play.

And because that is the whole intention of the game (as far as I can tell), then I can happily overlook any issues or problems that are present and say this is one of my favourite games of the year so far.

Just beat it a bit ago, got a few more extras (found the shrine I kept overlooking). The random battle rate is just a little too high, even as an old RPG homage, and it's odd how the sometimes-accessible Inventory screen is completely useless. You can't use any of your items, you can't use any of your skills (which makes Healing a bit tedious sometimes, since an enemy has to be there and swinging at you), you can't view what cards you have...

There is a lot of neat aspects to this. I wish it was a bit more consistent (some areas upgrade with you, some don't, which makes for some weird backtracking), and the weird thing is that some of the upgrades (music. scrolling, etc) look like, and are, skippable, but the game breaks if you actually skip them and try to keep progressing. I thought it would be an intentional challenge on replays, but people say the game dies in spots if you don't get them.

Oh, and the game really needed a Run button. It doesn't help that the 3D character's step sound effect sounds twice as fast as he actually animates.

Not really spoilery question: Is there any significance to
the locked house in that one town near the mines
?

Not really spoilery question: Is there any significance to
the locked house in that one town near the mines
?

Simple answer to your question:
Nothing story related but a star or a card is inside. I forget which. See spoiler below for how to get inside. It's not hard though so worth trying to get in on your own.

Mega spoiler:
You can go behind the house to the right and enter the locked house from the back/right side.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just did the dungeon for the second amulet piece. Wow, I did not expect that homage. That was awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What a great concept!

I just wish it were a larger game. The concept lends itself well to a sprawling adventure, with, for example, the killing of each main boss -- sans perhaps the final one -- giving the game a visual overhaul. Obviously this would have required a lot more work, but it's a nice thought all the same.

Darksol

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd just bump this one. Finally bought this on a whim during one of Steam's flash sales. The nostalgia overload alone is making this game great.

Top Bottom