• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of Need for Speed Games 1994-2019

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Code:
1994 The Need for Speed
1997 Need for Speed II
1998 Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
1999 Need for Speed: High Stakes
2000 Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed
2002 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
2003 Need for Speed: Underground
2004 Need for Speed: Underground 2
2005 Need for Speed: Most Wanted
2006 Need for Speed: Carbon
2007 Need for Speed: ProStreet
2008 Need for Speed: Undercover
2009 Need for Speed: Shift
2009 Need for Speed: Nitro
2010 Need for Speed: World
2010 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
2011 Need for Speed: Shift 2
2011 Need for Speed: The Run
2012 Need for Speed: Most Wanted
2013 Need for Speed Rivals
2015 Need for Speed: No Limits
2015 Need for Speed
2017 Need for Speed Payback
2019 Need for Speed Heat

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Well that was a fun time. Kinda wanna give that 2015 Need for Speed a go, looks like Fast and Furious.

I think it should be noted that Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 should be counted as two games. The PlayStation 2 version is completely different game (superior) by a different developer than the Xbox, GameCube and PC version.

A.Romero

Amazing to see how they have tried so many different things over the years and constantly coming back to it's roots.

Not a big fan so it's the first time I see some of the entries.

taimoorh

First major visual upgrade was Porsche Unleashed, followed by Hot Pursuit 2 and then Underground. And then it wasn’t until Rivals that there was a major shift in visual upgrade. The 2015 NFS was too ambitious for its own good, sadly.
I hope Heat is good. Just want Underground 3 made by Criterion and OG Underground team. One day...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
NFS III, IV, and Porsche Unleashed were the peak of the series, as far as I'm concerned. Never liked the angle they took with Underground, and as pretty as it was, the 2010 Hot Pursuit was beyond stupid with its rubberbanding. Didn't really care about the series after that.

Rudius

NFS III, IV, and Porsche Unleashed were the peak of the series, as far as I'm concerned. Never liked the angle they took with Underground, and as pretty as it was, the 2010 Hot Pursuit was beyond stupid with its rubberbanding. Didn't really care about the series after that.
Have you played Hot Pursuit 2, PS2 version? It's the best Need For Speed of the classic era and one of the best racing games ever made. Emulated at high settings it's even better.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I just picked up Need For Speed on Sega Saturn, which was released in 1996 and upgraded from the 3DO original (it was also released on Playstation). It's a really fun arcade racing game that still holds up nicely. It's interesting to see how the franchise has evolved over the years from a semi-sim driving game to a Fast and Furious styled cinema experience.

I also have a special place in my heart for Need For Speed Nitro on Nintendo Wii, which was an original exclusive that was designed to appeal to a more casual, arcade crowd. You can drive the car entirely by holding the Wiimote like a TV remote and tilting it to steer. It's really good fun and has that classic Outrun vibe.

Cattlyst

Cool video, nice trip down memory lane...but I'm not sure V-Rally should be included. Its not really part of the NFS family. It's only got the NFS branding on it in the US, totally different franchise everywhere else.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
NFS fucked up so much that it made room for others to step in. They only starting to wake up after The Crew devs actually said they were inspired by NFS underground. I would love to see The Crew 3 dedicated to current gen and based on SSD with no pop-in as much as possible.

cireza

Only game I played from the franchise is Most Wanted U on Wii U and I loved it. It was a blast. So much fun, great gameplay, great city and awesome soundtrack. Too bad it wasn't 60fps.

Because of 30fps, probably 720p and color palette, it is sometimes a bit difficult to clearly see ahead. This game would have been awesome in 1080@60fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom